NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Rob

Default Giants and Dodgers WEIRDO nodders

I am kind of obsessed with these guys. Lou Criscione of ITPC has provided some great info on the Weirdos but I'm wondering if there is anything else to add.

Murray Kreiss started Murray Kreiss and Companty in 1946. He imported and re-sold cramics from Japan for 19 to 99 cents apiece (according to a Kreiss book I have. This book shows 100's of Kriess pieces but not a single bobbing head). In 1951, the company name was changed to Kreiss and Company. In the late 1960's Kreiss and Company "got out of" ceramics and started selling fine furniture. I believe they are still in the furniture business.

Most experts agree the Giants dolls are harder to find than the Dodgers. I have heard the Giants come in at least five, and maybe all seven, styles seen in Dodgers. I have only seen the three in the top row left in Giants. I have also never seen a black face Giant bit they are rumored to exist.

I would love to see some evidence of where these were sold and how much they originally cost. Were they sold in stores or through the mail? A newspaper ad or mail order form would be awesome to see. The pictures I've attached show all the known Dodgers dolls, a couple of non-baseball dolls that are almost certainly Kreiss and my collection of three Giants. Only the middle Giant is legit. The other two are Dodger dolls I've repainted. I doubt I will ever find the other legit Giants. Last night I saw that a Dodger "bathing beauty" went for $10,200 in an REA auction. As I said, these things are SCARCE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1aaweirdo1.jpg (75.9 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500 (1).jpg (25.5 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (26.6 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg KGrHqUOKowE1z5YuDkkBNww0J2Og_3.jpg (30.1 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3526.jpg (73.3 KB, 312 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I am kind of obsessed with these guys. Lou Criscione of ITPC has provided some great info on the Weirdos but I'm wondering if there is anything else to add.

Murray Kreiss started Murray Kreiss and Companty in 1946. He imported and re-sold cramics from Japan for 19 to 99 cents apiece (according to a Kreiss book I have. This book shows 100's of Kriess pieces but not a single bobbing head). In 1951, the company name was changed to Kreiss and Company. In the late 1960's Kreiss and Company "got out of" ceramics and started selling fine furniture. I believe they are still in the furniture business.

Most experts agree the Giants dolls are harder to find than the Dodgers. I have heard the Giants come in at least five, and maybe all seven, styles seen in Dodgers. I have only seen the three in the top row left in Giants. I have also never seen a black face Giant bit they are rumored to exist.

I would love to see some evidence of where these were sold and how much they originally cost. Were they sold in stores or through the mail? A newspaper ad or mail order form would be awesome to see. The pictures I've attached show all the known Dodgers dolls, a couple of non-baseball dolls that are almost certainly Kreiss and my collection of three Giants. Only the middle Giant is legit. The other two are Dodger dolls I've repainted. I doubt I will ever find the other legit Giants. Last night I saw that a Dodger "bathing beauty" went for $10,200 in an REA auction. As I said, these things are SCARCE!
I always wished the Yankees produced a set of weirdos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by yankeesjetsfan; 02-06-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great questions, Rob...

Wish I had some answers for you. I'm a condition freak, so cracks/chips/restoration are all deal-killers for me. These are incredibly condition-sensitive, so as I result, I've only had two of these (Screwball and Crybaby). It's virtual impossible to find semi-nice ones, let alone NRMT-MINT.

The "Sweeper" has been high on my want-list for at least a decade. It's not the rarest, and not super expensive... but is still my favorite of the bunch, and nearly impossible to acquire.

Good luck finding more Giants... as tough as the Dodgers are, you can multiply that by about 20. "Needle in a haystack" territory.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Kelly Langston

Default SF Giants Weirdo Bobbleheads

Hello. I have 3 SF Giants weirdos. Please see following pictures. They are dusty (honestly I have no idea how to safely clean them). Any idea of how to get them Appraised?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Clint

Remember seeing one of these in a small town Kansas auction. Was excited to see it as I knew how tough they were. Half way through the auction some kids had destroyed it. Pretty sad.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelykellyann View Post
Hello. I have 3 SF Giants weirdos. Please see following pictures. They are dusty (honestly I have no idea how to safely clean them). Any idea of how to get them Appraised?
Tough to appraise when there are so few comparable exemplars. Perhaps you're getting a lot of PMs with offers. Would actually be surprised if you are not. But if you don't consummate any sales, then you can't go wrong with the following Catalog Auctions...

REA
Lelands
SCP
LOTG

Normally I would include Heritage, but these last 3 days have been infuriating.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Doug Goodman

I love those things, but not as much as the money it takes to acquire them.

Doug