NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Collectors' Challenge Question:

One of the goals I have had for a long time was to see how many different Hall-of-Fame players I could collect. The hard stipulation was that the card had to be from a year when the player was active as a player or at least player/ manager. I found myself leaning heavily on the war time Play Ball issues....but, I fall short on folks like Earle Combs, who I only have as a 1954 Phillies coach. I will have to go research to see how many I actually have right now. I definitely have all from the modern ear...but the Tommy McCarthys of the world seem far away.

How many different active HOF players do you have represented?

Winner gets a Laurel....and (J.J.?) Hardy handshake.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Old 06-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Default Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post

I wish ; I wish
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Default My Active HOF Number is:

146 of 204....only 35, however, finished their careers before WWII.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

At one time, a complete run of hall of famers was a goal, but the number of negro leaguers (a subset of baseball I really appreciate by the way) and fairly marginal 1800s guys made the less interesting to me. There are certain hall of famers for the Negro Leagues that if you want to find a contemporaneous card of them during their career, you will end up spending the same you would for a Cobb or a Johnson for a player that 98% of baseball fans would have no familiarity with. That just made it less interesting to me. I still collect a lot of hall of famers, but my drive to add a Bid McPhee is minimal.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Chris P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post

The color is beautiful on that Combs. Beautiful, beautiful card.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 AM
Phil Garry

As of last year when I abandoned the quest, I had one career contemporary items (cards, postcards, photos, etc.) of all 300 HOF members. My objective was even more challenging as I was looking for the "unofficial" rookie card of each. Never quite made it to that goal but at one time was over 80% complete. I also included umpires, executives, pioneers, negro leaguers and managers in addition to the players.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 06-13-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Wheelhouse

Ray,
This is a slow pitch softball pitch for many guys on this board
Even my humble collection would represent a solid answer to your question.

I set out to get *multiple* contemporary (playing-years) cards of every HOF elected major league player whose career was primarily post-1900. This goal was met earlier this year when I got my second Babe Ruth. I had at least one of each guy as of a few years back.

This broad criteria means that this way, I don't have to collect all of the 19th century players. I have a few, I love them, and I will eventually try getting more. I don't have to collect the negro league players whose cards are extremely scarce and for some of them impossible. I don't have to collect executives , umpires or non-playing managers if I don't want to either
Of course if the opportunity arises, I'll buy cards of those gentlemen with pleasure!!

I have about 250 of my favorite ones slabbed by SGC, the link to my registry is in my signature line. I have at least another 400-500 more, some encroaching into the modern era, not slabbed. I've got a lot of slabbing to do!

Anyway, to me..Hall of Fame collecting is my true passion. I enjoy the stories of Bill Bergen, Harry Krause & Mark Koenig, but gimme the Babe, Rajah, Nap & Matty any day!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I too am collecting members of the hall. I collect one item from each member that is career contemporary. I am only at 192 as I limit most of my purchasing to a handful of shows as well as flea markets and antique shops. I also do not like to spend too much. My collection contains woodcuts, books, newspaper clippings, magazines, photos, and other paper items. Of course, I also have a lot of cards and a few postcards in the binder.

Alan
Old 06-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have no interest in marginal HOFers either.

My tweaks on this form of collecting:

1. I collect certain players' cards and card-like ephemera, and for those guys I limit it to career-contemporary items.

2. I am simply not interested in the glut of modern cards issued after players retired, with the exception of the 1970s Negro League issues that often represented the player's first trading card.

2. For many players I try to get something that isn't necessarily their 'best' item or most valuable or rookie item, but that speaks to me the most. Like this, my favorite Ted Williams card:

Or this 1953 St. Louis Browns Satchel Paige signed postcard:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...