NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Getting a Card Back After a Long Time

Back in early-2001, I sold a couple Old Judge cards so I could buy another one I really wanted. One of the cards I sold was a beat up Con Daley card and a board member here bought it. About a month after I sold it, I tried to buy it back, but it had already changed hands again. I wanted to get it back because it was one of the first Old Judge cards I ever bought.

Cut to a couple weeks ago and OldJudge posted a card that shouldn't have been graded by SGC because it was trimmed. I immediately recognized the card and worked out a deal to get one of my first OJ cards back 13 years after I regretted selling it. It's not a tough player/card to find or in good condition, so I could have just bought another anytime, but it's nice getting one of my original cards back that I bought last century. So thanks to Jay for publicly calling out SGC for their mistake, without it, I would have my Con Daley card back.

Also to tie the story up. The card I bought back then was from Jay, who didn't want the Daley as part of a trade, yet he bought it 13 years later from someone else.

Anyone else got a similar story to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0010.jpg (74.2 KB, 421 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Chris Counts

When I was about 14, I acquired a ball signed by the '39 Indians from a friend for some old coins. A short time later, I swapped it to a collector I met at a show. Years later, I tracked him down and managed to require it. I still have it today, 40 years after the day I first traded for it. I've had it longer than just about anything else in my collection ...
Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default D381 Ferguson

About 10-12 yrs ago on ebay there were 2 D381 Ferguson Bakery cards auctioned by Scott Gaynor. I had my snipe all set and each one was only a few hundred dollars until the final minute. These both had the tabs and to this day I haven't personally seen another with a tab (I have seen a poor scan of a lone tab but that is it, from what I remember). So the final minute counts down and I am looking good. Both of my snipes are astronomical (for the time). I eventually got home and checked and I lost both of them to a good hobby friend. He had them for close to 10 yrs until I got one that he consigned a few years ago, to Legendary (or Mastro). Then in the last Heritage auction there was the other one. Even though Bill C. (hi Bill) kept hitting the bid button I kept going too. Had I known it was Bill I doubt I would have kept going but I thought it was just another type collector.....So now they are together again...

Last edited by Leon; 06-10-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not exactly getting something back, but like Leons, refinding one that got away.

When the stamp guy I hung out at decided to get into cards one thing he had was a really neat photo of Fenway park. Signed on the back by "some front office guy". I wanted it but couldn't afford it. He had it in stock a while, I moved, visited one time when I had the money and asked about it. He'd gotten out of cards and sold everything in one lot to another localish dealer.
He phones, and finds out the other guy has sold it. Oh well, not the first or last time I'd miss out on something.

A few years later I'm looking at some stuff at the Shriners show and there's the photo. Priced reasonably, so I finally did get it. Never put 2+2 together on the "random front office guy" Until I decided to look him up.

Nope, not a Red Sox front office guy. And not an easy signature to read. Turns out the middle initial joins the last name - and then it becomes clear that it is indeed a front office guy. Ad about as front office as it gets.

Frank J Navin, Tigers owner.

Steve B
Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

When I was a kid in rural Indiana we had a group of 4-5 guys who were fanatic collectors. This would be in the mid 60s. Between us we must have gathered up every old card in town, but that was pretty pitiful. We had between us quite a few well worn 57-60s Topps. But there were a few rarities. There was only ONE 52 Topps. It was Art Houtteman. Only a couple of 53 Topps., but one of them was Satchel Paige. I remember there were only a couple of 54 Topps and Ray Murray was one. A special card to own because it was Philadelphia A's. Anyway the point is we traded those cards back and forth so many times. It was like every day. One day I would own Paige and the next Houtteman and then maybe a 57 Campanella. Those cards must have been traded a thousand times. I still have a few of those, but I'd give anything to get back some of those worn out rags. Especially that Paige that would grade poor at best.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Chris Counts

That's a great story Ken. Before I discovered card shows in 1974 when I was 13, my brother and I treasured the few beat up cards from the 1950s we managed to locate in our neighborhood. I remember looking at a 1956 Nelson Burbrink or a 1957 Charlie Silvera with awe ...
Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I had a painting that was originally signed HUGE in person at an autograph show by Buck Leaonard on the blank canvas then the signature painted around by Topps artist Gerry Dvorak. Showed Leanord as a Homestead Gray and was sharp. I had it on a hallway wall, then sold it, then saw it up for auction again and won it a second time, had it in the same spot, then later sold it a second time.

Last edited by drcy; 06-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Cain J.

I'm still looking for my first T206 it was a Bob Groom sweet cap SGC A that was trimmed a lot. I sold it about a year and half ago to some guy in Washington state. I really wish I could find it again.