NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-03-2020, 04:00 PM
Hank Thomas

This thread alerted me to the fact that of the 19 3,000 strikeout pitchers, WaJo is the only one not still alive. I can remember always taking note when he would drop down another notch on the list as he was passed by another pitcher, but that hasn't happened for almost 20 years. Interesting trivia, but it also does make something of a statement about trends in pitching and hitting over the years. I remember reading a long time ago that if batters of his era struck out at the rate of those in Nolan Ryan's era, Walter would have ended up with somewhere around 7,000 strikeouts. I'm sure SABR guys could come up with ameliorating factors that would have adjusted that fantasy total downward, but the 3,000 strikeout list and the dates of their achievements does contain some interesting clues as to changes in the style of play over the years.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
This thread alerted me to the fact that of the 19 3,000 strikeout pitchers, WaJo is the only one not still alive. I can remember always taking note when he would drop down another notch on the list as he was passed by another pitcher, but that hasn't happened for almost 20 years. Interesting trivia, but it also does make something of a statement about trends in pitching and hitting over the years. I remember reading a long time ago that if batters of his era struck out at the rate of those in Nolan Ryan's era, Walter would have ended up with somewhere around 7,000 strikeouts. I'm sure SABR guys could come up with ameliorating factors that would have adjusted that fantasy total downward, but the 3,000 strikeout list and the dates of their achievements does contain some interesting clues as to changes in the style of play over the years.
Absolutely, Hank!
Hitters back in WaJo's era mostly attempted to meet & square up the ball and hit to all fields.
Today, every hitter uppercuts in an attempt to elevate the ball and hit the HR, even though striking out is occurring at a ridiculous rate.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Absolutely, Hank!
Hitters back in WaJo's era mostly attempted to meet & square up the ball and hit to all fields.
Today, every hitter uppercuts in an attempt to elevate the ball and hit the HR, even though striking out is occurring at a ridiculous rate.
Yep, the Babe changed everything. As the saying went when we were kids: "Singles hitters drive Fords, home run hitters drive Cadillacs." Now they all drive Lamborghinis!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 PM
Jeff

Randall- I was skeptical about the dating of the Walter Johnson 3k ticket. I have seen many times people go to Baseball-Reference and count the home games played and list that as the ticket date, and Baseball-Reference shows Jul 22 was the 57th home game played by Cleveland: https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...e-scores.shtml. I figured that the 57th home game played wound not be the 57 scheduled, due to rain-outs. According to Retrosheet, where Baseball-Reference gets its data (https://www.retrosheet.org/schedule/index.html), it shows 5 games were postponed due to rain/cold.
They were:
5/09 vs. NYA Cold, Played: 7/14
5/11 vs. NYA Rain, Played: 7/16
5/12 vs. WS1 Rain, Played: 7/20
5/21 vs. BOS Cold, Played: 7/07
6/28 vs. CHA Rain, Played: 6/30
Amazingly all 5 postponed games were made up before 7/22, so yeah, that is the correct date. So it is possible to have a complete 3k Strikeout collection, which is not possible with 3k Hit or 300 Win.

As for your toughest 5, I would replace Gibson with Sutton. There are at least a 1/2 dozen stubs out there, usually going for avg $250. Last one that came up on ebay was something like 6 months ago, but went for significantly more (can't remember the exact number).

Thanks Scott for sharing your Full Ryan. I figured there had to be at least one out there, which is one of the reasons why I stated this thread.

Thanks Steve for sharing your Jenkins 3k collection, very nice!!!

Does anyone have a near complete set? I am missing: Walter Johnson (obviously), Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Phil Niekro and Bert Blyleven.

Would love to see more of the more difficult 3000 Strikeout tickets posted.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:30 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Here is Gibson, Fergie, Niekro & Perry. The Perry is signed by Fergie. I have seen several of these and believe that someone had several unused tickets of Fergie and Perry's 3000th and handed the wrong ones to the wrong guy to sign. I have actually owned two of these signed by Fergie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3000.jpg (78.2 KB, 116 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 05-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Jeff

Default 3000th Strikeout tickets

Thanks Randall for sharing, especially the Niekro, I have never seen one before. Did you get the Fergie from the gentleman that sold off the few he had last month?

Does anyone have a Bert Blyleven to share. Also wondering if anyone else has a Sutton.

Here are a couple of the other more difficult ones, not pictured yet, Carlton (Full, there is one graded as 9) & Sutton (this is the only graded one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19810429_net.jpg (49.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 19830624_net.jpg (65.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDoggy View Post
Thanks Randall for sharing, especially the Niekro, I have never seen one before. Did you get the Fergie from the gentleman that sold off the few he had last month?

Does anyone have a Bert Blyleven to share. Also wondering if anyone else has a Sutton.

Here are a couple of the other more difficult ones, not pictured yet, Carlton (Full, there is one graded as 9) & Sutton (this is the only graded one):
GDoggy,
Very nice examples of Carlton and Sutton's 3,000th K tickets! Congrats!
I don't know if I've ever seen a full to Carlton's.

Yes, I own a nice Sutton 3000th K ticket stub. Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don Sutton 3,000th K ticket-front.jpg (41.2 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-09-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Tags
3000 strikeout ticket, 3k strikeout ticket, nolan ryan, steve carlton, tom seaver