NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2017, 03:59 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Default reports from the 2017 National

So I'm waiting for my carry on bag to go through the scanner. The TSA agent grabs my bag, takes it to a secure area and says follow me. So I'm plenty early for my flight, I've not packed anything illegal, and I appreciate TSA security. The agent pulls out a stack of 100 sixteen pocket Ultra Pro sheets wrapped in Saran Wrap. Gives me a look like cocaine? Stacks of cash? I admit it looks very suspicious and state "Ultra Pro plastic sheets that hold 1948 Bowman baseball cards". She points me to another TSA guy, who proceeds to pat me down in all the wrong places.
It's gonna be a hell of a week!
Larry
Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 AM
Robert Williams

LOL..>Them damn baseball card nerds...lol
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 AM
Scott Russell

Wait, they make a size for 1948 -50 bowman?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Wait, they make a size for 1948 -50 bowman?
exactly what I was thinking!!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:54 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
exactly what I was thinking!!!!

It could be this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (42.3 KB, 1742 views)

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Dave_Berg

Ultra Pro makes a 12 pocket 2 1/4 x 2 1/2 that fit my 49B perfectly
IMG_6223.jpg
Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

No dinner or movie before the " pat down "?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
So I'm waiting for my carry on bag to go through the scanner. The TSA agent grabs my bag, takes it to a secure area and says follow me. So I'm plenty early for my flight, I've not packed anything illegal, and I appreciate TSA security. The agent pulls out a stack of 100 sixteen pocket Ultra Pro sheets wrapped in Saran Wrap. Gives me a look like cocaine? Stacks of cash? I admit it looks very suspicious and state "Ultra Pro plastic sheets that hold 1948 Bowman baseball cards". She points me to another TSA guy, who proceeds to pat me down in all the wrong places.
It's gonna be a hell of a week!
Larry
Heh. I went on vacation a few weeks back and bought a bunch of baseballs, postcards and other assorted memorabilia items. I packed them in a backpack for carrying on the plane. I noticed that my family sailed through and they set my backpack aside. They were seemingly ignoring it so I asked them if I could get my backpack. Then another TSA agent appeared out of nowhere and took me to a station where she unloaded my backpack in a not so nice manner. I had to ask her to please not open the sealed vintage baseballs in original boxes. She ran some machine over it a million times and then put a "swab" in a machine and I guess it came back negative for whatever bad stuff she was looking for because she told me to pack it back up and be on my way. I was hoping for a patdown.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Emlily Ell.is

When we were leaving Disney World in February coming home, my backpack set off the TSA machines. I had a souvenir baseball in it. They opened it and ran the baseball through the machine. They said they had to do so because it's hollow inside and people could hide things in the baseball. I was like really? People will actually do that?

Once they swabbed and scanned it, it came back clear and I was allowed to go on my way. But they patted me down and acted like I was up to something bad before I was eventually cleared. I was pretty upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Heh. I went on vacation a few weeks back and bought a bunch of baseballs, postcards and other assorted memorabilia items. I packed them in a backpack for carrying on the plane. I noticed that my family sailed through and they set my backpack aside. They were seemingly ignoring it so I asked them if I could get my backpack. Then another TSA agent appeared out of nowhere and took me to a station where she unloaded my backpack in a not so nice manner. I had to ask her to please not open the sealed vintage baseballs in original boxes. She ran some machine over it a million times and then put a "swab" in a machine and I guess it came back negative for whatever bad stuff she was looking for because she told me to pack it back up and be on my way. I was hoping for a patdown.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

(Copied from OBC server)
Opening bell found me sorting a big stack of exhibit aircraft cards both white and black numbers buying 66 cards for about .75c each. Two more sets to chase lol. The show seems pretty busy all day to me. To mix things up I got three free autographs NBA Bill Cartwright, Fritz Peterson, and Scott Williamson also PSA took my picture insert into a baseball card and slabbed it kind of fun plus they gave me a mini bat of some kind labeled "Submission Stress Stick" lol I am not kidding!
Visited Net54 member Taxmechanick (Glenn) and bought an 1887 Gold Coin N284 card of Bushong slabbed SGC 10 what 1887? Thanks Glenn I love it!
Met lots of old and new friends both OBC and Net54 then pulled the trigger on some kind of game card featuring the Adams kids Pugsley and Wednesday it just drew me in for three dollars lol!
Finished a bunch of sets today '61 Nu Card Scoops baseball, 1959 Topps Wacky Plaks, 1966 "007", 1967 Topps Maya, 1971 Fleer Drag Champs, 1972 Donruss Choppers and Hot Bikes, and brought several sets down to one or two. I did buy a nice stack of original 1969 Donruss Odd Rods happy to get those.
Eleven hits total now 1934 Diamond Stars baseball and 23 hits 1933 Goudey baseball really gaining some ground on these sets.
Also finished 1953 Topps World on Wheels with two low grade high numbers which are not seen much, one dealer had three high numbers and I needed two. I nicknamed this dealer "half price Harry" cause I would request a price half of what was listed on his already discounted prices and my technique worked most of the time.
As you can see plenty of non sports cards here on the show floor. No gripes from me at all I think the show has been solid. I did start to hear the roar of the crowd over at the box breaks or pack wars area but although it's not my thing plenty of collectors like this fine by me.
I need one card to complete 1966 Philadelphia Green Beret set but bought an unopened wax pack for $10 gonna open that baby up one in sixty-six chance I pull the card I need, don't worry I won't attempt the Gum.
I cancelled on the trip to downtown and had a nice dinner across the street with Taylor, Bob, and Spike with a Van Halen cover band performing on the green they are called Atomic Punk 23 years a cover band? Stopped at Walgreens Bob/Cigs Spike/Pepsi Taylor/nothing Me/Haagen-Dazs I win that version of pack wars!
Exhausted and ready to sleep its 11:18 PM. Got to be ready for tomorrow!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
(Copied from OBC server)
Opening bell found me sorting a big stack of exhibit aircraft cards both white and black numbers buying 66 cards for about .75c each. Two more sets to chase lol. The show seems pretty busy all day to me. To mix things up I got three free autographs NBA Bill Cartwright, Fritz Peterson, and Scott Williamson also PSA took my picture insert into a baseball card and slabbed it kind of fun plus they gave me a mini bat of some kind labeled "Submission Stress Stick" lol I am not kidding!
Visited Net54 member Taxmechanick (Glenn) and bought an 1887 Gold Coin N284 card of Bushong slabbed SGC 10 what 1887? Thanks Glenn I love it!
Met lots of old and new friends both OBC and Net54 then pulled the trigger on some kind of game card featuring the Adams kids Pugsley and Wednesday it just drew me in for three dollars lol!
Finished a bunch of sets today '61 Nu Card Scoops baseball, 1959 Topps Wacky Plaks, 1966 "007", 1967 Topps Maya, 1971 Fleer Drag Champs, 1972 Donruss Choppers and Hot Bikes, and brought several sets down to one or two. I did buy a nice stack of original 1969 Donruss Odd Rods happy to get those.
Eleven hits total now 1934 Diamond Stars baseball and 23 hits 1933 Goudey baseball really gaining some ground on these sets.
Also finished 1953 Topps World on Wheels with two low grade high numbers which are not seen much, one dealer had three high numbers and I needed two. I nicknamed this dealer "half price Harry" cause I would request a price half of what was listed on his already discounted prices and my technique worked most of the time.
As you can see plenty of non sports cards here on the show floor. No gripes from me at all I think the show has been solid. I did start to hear the roar of the crowd over at the box breaks or pack wars area but although it's not my thing plenty of collectors like this fine by me.
I need one card to complete 1966 Philadelphia Green Beret set but bought an unopened wax pack for $10 gonna open that baby up one in sixty-six chance I pull the card I need, don't worry I won't attempt the Gum.
I cancelled on the trip to downtown and had a nice dinner across the street with Taylor, Bob, and Spike with a Van Halen cover band performing on the green they are called Atomic Punk 23 years a cover band? Stopped at Walgreens Bob/Cigs Spike/Pepsi Taylor/nothing Me/Haagen-Dazs I win that version of pack wars!
Exhausted and ready to sleep its 11:18 PM. Got to be ready for tomorrow!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone
Great update Larry, thank you for sharing.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Jason Wells

The Chicago National is the nicest show I have been to. This is my 3rd NSCC and by far the most productive for my collection. I arrived at the GA opening at 10 am. With having such a small focus I was able to check all the tables for a initial inventory of T cards in about 3 hours. About two hours in a think I was struck with card blindness and it became a little overwhelming just the sheer size of the place. I will say it is a T206 collectors dream come true. Some for fair prices, some for card show prices.I saw a lot of rare back T206. Many from just one dealer. I met for the first time and also reconnected with a few members. I have to admit its good seeing people after years of digital communication.

As far as my purchasing went I finally broke my streak of maybe 5-6 shows without a Red Border pickup. Happy to add a Series 8 Pepe from Ed Hans for a fair price. It will fit nicely in my low grade Series set. I have a nice upgrade reserved from MPeich and have my eyes on a couple N172 for my two player runs. Sadly I didnt come across a single T209-2. Those as well as new to the market T210's are getting harder to come by. All in all a outstanding show and im looking forward to day two as well as the Net54 shindig!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:39 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
When we were leaving Disney World in February coming home, my backpack set off the TSA machines. I had a souvenir baseball in it. They opened it and ran the baseball through the machine. They said they had to do so because it's hollow inside and people could hide things in the baseball. I was like really? People will actually do that?

Once they swabbed and scanned it, it came back clear and I was allowed to go on my way. But they patted me down and acted like I was up to something bad before I was eventually cleared. I was pretty upset.
That was a pretty stupid statement by TSA but is not atypical of their modus operandi. Baseballs (regulation ones, anyhow), have a cork center that is surrounded by layers of yarn and rubber. They are not "hollow inside." If they were, they would permanently deform when hit with any type of substantial force.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

National Report Day 5 (copied from the OBC site)

I remember back in 2013, Sunday at the National meant BLOWOUT prices! So I was really looking forward to getting back to the show. I visited with Mike and Doug during the hotel provided free breakfast, then said goodbye to Doug as he had to drive home. Spike, Taylor and I left for a 1/2 day at the National as we had flights to catch at ORD airport.

First purchase dealer had nice stack of ’64 Beatles cards and ’66 Bat Laffs cards marked $1-$3 I offered to buy them all at .50c each so I added 26 cards to my doubles box.

Next purchase dealer had 1961 Fleer Pirates Bold cards in NM condition $3-$4 each I said I’d buy them all at $2 and I bought all 30 cards this is a good deal, only one hit to my list but all these are going to be upgrades.

As I am pretty new to baseball exhibit cards, I texted Taylor for an assist, and I purchased both variations ’47-’66 Mickey Mantle cards (batting waist up) for a decent price I was within $10 of the deal and the seller came down to my offer My kind of “meeting in the middle”. I also bought three other Mantle cards from him to bundle in, 2 cards 1961 Topps “Mantle Blasts 565 FT Home Run’ and also the ’61 Nu Card Scoops “Mantle Hits Longest Homer”.

Picked up 20 to 30 misc hits to my lists, including a 1962 Tops football “bucks” Jim Brown, then found a stack of 1935 Goudy baseball cards I had not seen all week. This was a surprise all morning for me, how do I spend five full days at the National, and on day five I am seeing new cards? I picked up three more big hits too my 1935 Goudey master set including two with more rare backs! I had to come off my wallet a bit for these, but I think I got a fair deal.

Last purchase. All week I have been watching a near set 1971 basketball near set 1971 “Topps Trio” basketball cards. These are the sticker cards, black borders, in three card panels. Only missing one of the short printed ABA Team Logos sheet #24A, other than this one, all others are there. Maravich, Big O, Alcinder, Wilt, Barry, West. A quick price check on eBay shows a few singles selling for $6-$8 many above $10 each. So I thought $5 each would be a good buy for me and I offered $125 dealers lowest price all week was $160. The dealer said his rock bottom price was $140 and I think he said this is what he had in the set. So I bought them for $140 or $5.60 a card. I have been wanting to start this set for awhile anyway.

So by noon we were done, and Taylor dropped us off at ORD. I am VERY happy to report that when I checked in on the American Airlines App, I got the TSA Pre Check, and was through security within ten minutes. I did have to kill five plus hours as my flight home was delayed but between a nice lunch and watching the NASCAR race the time went pretty fast. On the aircraft, I was the only passenger in my row, and looked at baseball cards all the way home!

Larry
Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 AM
Felipe Duran

Quote:
National Report Day 5 (copied from the OBC site)

I remember back in 2013, Sunday at the National meant BLOWOUT prices! So I was really looking forward to getting back to the show. I visited with Mike and Doug during the hotel provided free breakfast, then said goodbye to Doug as he had to drive home. Spike, Taylor and I left for a 1/2 day at the National as we had flights to catch at ORD airport.

First purchase dealer had nice stack of ’64 Beatles cards and ’66 Bat Laffs cards marked $1-$3 I offered to buy them all at .50c each so I added 26 cards to my doubles box.

Next purchase dealer had 1961 Fleer Pirates Bold cards in NM condition $3-$4 each I said I’d buy them all at $2 and I bought all 30 cards this is a good deal, only one hit to my list but all these are going to be upgrades.

As I am pretty new to baseball exhibit cards, I texted Taylor for an assist, and I purchased both variations ’47-’66 Mickey Mantle cards (batting waist up) for a decent price I was within $10 of the deal and the seller came down to my offer My kind of “meeting in the middle”. I also bought three other Mantle cards from him to bundle in, 2 cards 1961 Topps “Mantle Blasts 565 FT Home Run’ and also the ’61 Nu Card Scoops “Mantle Hits Longest Homer”.

Picked up 20 to 30 misc hits to my lists, including a 1962 Tops football “bucks” Jim Brown, then found a stack of 1935 Goudy baseball cards I had not seen all week. This was a surprise all morning for me, how do I spend five full days at the National, and on day five I am seeing new cards? I picked up three more big hits too my 1935 Goudey master set including two with more rare backs! I had to come off my wallet a bit for these, but I think I got a fair deal.

Last purchase. All week I have been watching a near set 1971 basketball near set 1971 “Topps Trio” basketball cards. These are the sticker cards, black borders, in three card panels. Only missing one of the short printed ABA Team Logos sheet #24A, other than this one, all others are there. Maravich, Big O, Alcinder, Wilt, Barry, West. A quick price check on eBay shows a few singles selling for $6-$8 many above $10 each. So I thought $5 each would be a good buy for me and I offered $125 dealers lowest price all week was $160. The dealer said his rock bottom price was $140 and I think he said this is what he had in the set. So I bought them for $140 or $5.60 a card. I have been wanting to start this set for awhile anyway.

So by noon we were done, and Taylor dropped us off at ORD. I am VERY happy to report that when I checked in on the American Airlines App, I got the TSA Pre Check, and was through security within ten minutes. I did have to kill five plus hours as my flight home was delayed but between a nice lunch and watching the NASCAR race the time went pretty fast. On the aircraft, I was the only passenger in my row, and looked at baseball cards all the way home!

Larry

Loved reading your updates! thank you
Old 07-31-2017, 09:14 AM
David Kathman

I had a great time on Friday in my one day at the National. Since I have a wide variety of collecting interests, I was able to find plenty of stuff, and it was great to see and talk to so many people. I had a nice chat with Mike Peich and picked up six new T206s from him, bringing my Monster Number to 485. I also had a nice chat with Ed Hans, who was nice enough to give me a packet of hobby stuff from the 1970s, and I also talked to Scott Brockelman and Jay Miller at the adjacent table. Ed gave me a good deal on four T213s (three type 2, one type 3) to go with my various T206 back runs, and his partner Gary Nuchereno gave me a discount on a stack of 1970 and 1971 Topps I needed. From other dealers, I made progress on 1960, 1963, and 1967 Topps, and I completed my 1969 Topps set by getting the last three cards I needed (Mays, Mantle, and Reggie) for very reasonable prices. Working on those sets is just a fun thing that I've pretty much only done at shows over the past few years, but I'm close enough on 1970 and 1971 Topps that I'll probably just get the last few I need online.

I also had a nice visit with Ted Z, and with Doak Ewing of Rare Sportsfilms, from whom I got a couple of T205s and a T206 for another of my back runs (Maddox). Ted and Doak both had impressive displays of T206 rare backs. In addition, I caught up with several board members on the show floor: Jesse Arnott (pokeyplyr80), Steven (brass-rat), Justin Burleson (jburl), and jburl's friend Darren, who is not a member of the board but with whom I recently did a trade, brokered by Justin, involving some T211s and T210-8s. Steven, Justin, Darren and I had a fun conversation about T211s and related topics. That evening at the Net54 dinner I saw those three guys again, along with many other people, some of whom I've met before and some of whom I hadn't. In particular I had substantial conversations with Fred McKie (whiteymet) and Rich Klein, and shorter encounters with Dave Hornish (toppscat), Tom Boblitt (autograf), Leon, and numerous others. Lots of people had nice things to say about my hobby history posts, which is always encouraging. As others have said, the three speakers at the dinner were top-notch, and tonight I plan to post some material related to a question that was asked of the last speaker.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Larry, I see my 35 Goudey Ruth on your table, and a great looking photo, it was very nice meeting you and a wonderful talk. Good luck and see you next year. Don.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Justin

I had a great time at the National this year. I think this was my 6th, but my first time attending the Net54 dinner. I helped out at the door so it was cool putting some names with faces. Here's a pic of the dinner while Al was speaking.

I didn't find too much from my want list, but managed to pickup a few things. Already looking forward to next year!

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 07-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Arrived safely home worn and weary but, I think, happier after Thurs. thru Sat. at the National. A couple of quick, personal sound bites:
1, I thought crowd levels were good if not overwhelming.
2. PSA was beyond frantic, with collectors with foaming mouths throwing their money and their cards at terrified processors. SGC, by contrast, had far fewer submitters
3. I was pleased that Levi was sporting a new, silly hat.
4. I just wonder if the '52 Topps Mantle craze may have hit its' peak. After so many have been sold lately and still tons on show at the National, I wonder if supply has finally outstripped demand and prices will retreat from current lofty levels.
5. Maybe it was me looking in the wrong places, but I spotted little 19th century stuff just a few mangled OJ's.
6. Sadly, could not make the New54 function. Just ran out of gas after 2 days on the run. But did run into and old pal, and fellow '54er, Aaron Seefield. We hadn't seen each other in 15 or so years and laughed about setting up side by side at Ft.Washington shows and the havoc the ex wives caused with our collections.
7. I was happy to see fearless leader Leon manning a case at Mile High's booth. And there it was, Leon's signature card, the E90-1 Cy Young PSA 7 for sale at a breathtaking price. But he has promised never to sell the football helmet variation card. Thank God!
8. I brought about 6 high-value, high-graded PSA cards, all with o/c qualifiers on them to SGC for crossovers, and accepted for one full grade reduction, paying $30 a card for the privilege. None would crossover; yet all were very close to o/c grading standards and all had wonderful eye appeal. Does that matter any more? To add insult to injury, the one raw card I brought in for grading, a rare PC of Scottish golfing icon Tom Morris, which graded fine. I had asked them to put "Old "Tom" on the flip, which they graciously did; however, Tom Morris had been mislabeled Tom Miller. Must have slipped by quality control. And so it goes.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
that is a lot of what it's all about (to me).....it reminds me of our Net54baseball dinners 10+ yrs ago....

Last edited by Leon; 07-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
that is a lot of what it's all about (to me).....it reminds me of our Net54baseball dinners 10+ yrs ago....
Try 15 years ago! Good times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5540.jpg (68.4 KB, 508 views)