NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Greetings from a newbie

Posted By: ChuckkieB

Hello all,

I've been collecting vintage cards for about a year and have recently discovered this forum. It is by far the best vintage card "gathering place" on the 'net! The knowledge and insight I've found here has converted me into a daily visitor.

My main focus so far has been the T206 set but I have been considereing branching out to the T3 and E93 sets as well. With the birth of my second child two weeks ago, my available funds will have to re-directed yet again (at least that's what I'll tell my wife!). Nonetheless, I will continue to chip away!

Finally, I've been attempting to gather up as much knowledge as possible about the beginnigs of our national pastime and was wondering if anyone can direct me to any worthwhile books regarding 19th century and early 1900's baseball. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Welcome to the board. If youa re truely interested in the originas of the game, then a membership to SABR and getting the mailing list for the 19c committee is a must. They are always talking about the origins of the game especially in the 1840s.

http://sabr.org

If there is a referall option, please list Jay Behrens

Hang on tight, it can be a quite a ride here once in awhile

Jay

I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Wierd, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chachi

Chuck-I highly recommend "Where They Ain't" by Burt Solomon-about Willie Keeler and the Baltimore Orioles @ the turn of the century; as well as the Deadball Stars books which are mentioned on another thread---Great Books

Old 09-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

"Baseball 1845-1881" by Preston Orem
"The National Association of Base Ball Players 1857-1870" by Wright
"Nineteenth Century Stars" by SABR
"Nineteenth Century Baseball" (1871-1900) by Wright

If you have all of the above, you are covered from 1845-1900. Barry Sloate lists "collectable" resources in VCBC #3 (Sept,1995) in case you are interested in the expensive stuff; however, some of the rare books are available in reprint form. I especially recommend Spalding's book "America's National Game", which covers history from Spalding's biased viewpoint.

I also recommend picking up reading copies of Reach or Spalding Guides for the years you are interested in - most of them also contain a 'history' section, including stats.