NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
James Gallo

Default Interesting PSA and Ebay Issue

So often I have talked to a buddy of mine about the "no returns on graded cards" phrase often seen in ebay auctions.

He always was of the mind set that they seller would be forced to take a card back no matter what and that was that.

I always felt that it would be a case by case basis and it would depend on the reason the buyer gave for the return.

Well a situation arose recently where I bought a PSA graded card and wanted to return it. I contacted the seller with no response and so filied my paypal claim.

The card in question in on the right and graded a PSA 10 no less.

http://www.thetoyheaven.com/images/i...cksonfake1.jpg

The problem and reason for the return is the said card is a reprint!!
The PSA 9 is real.

So aside from the fact that PSA graded a reprint and the seller had a no return policy paypal decided in my favor and the card is now on the way back to the seller.

Aside from the said fact that PSA graded a pretty crappie reprint I thought that this was an interesting fact that even with a graded card paypal forced the seller to take the card back.

I thought this would be of some interest for various reasons :-D

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 06-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Mike Mccullough

How did the chimps at Paypal arrive at the fact the card is a reprint?

With that aside, Paypal will side with the buyer even if the buyer has an IQ of the dumbest 1rst grader in Helen Keller's class.
As a seller you put no returns on graded cards in the description only to deter someone who may not know of Paypals slant toward the consumer.
A consumer has all the rights and a seller virtually has none anyways.

In your case a return is definitely warranted and Paypal made the right decision. Interesting indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post
http://www.thetoyheaven.com/images/i...cksonfake1.jpg

The problem and reason for the return is the said card is a reprint!!
The PSA 9 is real.

So aside from the fact that PSA graded a reprint and the seller had a no return policy paypal decided in my favor and the card is now on the way back to the seller.

Aside from the said fact that PSA graded a pretty crappie reprint I thought that this was an interesting fact that even with a graded card paypal forced the seller to take the card back.

I thought this would be of some interest for various reasons :-D

James G
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 AM

To start, that the card would be reprinted is curious enough.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
To start, that the card would be reprinted is curious enough.
That's what I was thinking. Don't those 1980 Laughlin sets only go for $5-$10?
Couldn't that Jackson be genuine but not a strong copy?
I remember buying vending cases of 1985 Topps in the day amd I saw
many cards straight from these factory cases that had printing issues.
Some had weak faded out color, by the team names and some images like watered down.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM
James Gallo

At this point really who doesn't know that paypal will side with the buyer on everything, I just wonder if it makes a difference what you put down as a reason. I could have seen them refuse my claim based on the fact the card was graded and what have you.

Nope there is a reprint of that set for sure and one of the easy things to notice is teh weak colors to the face and the blurry text. I think the set you are seeing for 5-10 are the reprints. The last set I bought was 50-75 at least.

I even bought a set once and upon recieving it realized it was the reprint, the sellers only sold reprint sets and let me keep the set as he had forgotten to include the word reprint in the auction at all.

James G
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Bob Lemke

Default Reprint? Really?

James, I'd consider adding a note to the Standard Catalog about the set being reprinted if I could examine a known original and a known reprint in-hand. Would you be able to loan me one of each for examination?

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
James Gallo

Bob,

Sure drop me an email and we can work out the details.

James
Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 PM

That card looks original to me. Why on earth would anyone reprint a 1980 Laughlin issue?? The reprinting would cost more than the card is worth. I think there was just less black added to the face than the PSA 9 but the card looks original.

Last edited by danmckee; 07-02-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Bob, are you back with Krause doing the Standard catalog again? I haven't bought 1 since 2006. Let me know and I will buy another, Dan.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
That card looks original to me. Why on earth would anyone reprint a 1980 Laughlin issue?? The reprinting would cost more than the card is worth. I think there was just less black added to the face than the PSA 9 but the card looks original.
Dan,

Not sure what to say here, but early on when I was chasing this set I bought a complete set in plastic and the seller said it was a reprint set.

The colors are way off, all the text is a lot more blurry IMO these are solid indicators that the set was reprinted. I could be wrong but there shouldn't be such a difference in printing with a set from 1980, plus if it is not well know that would explain why the cards seem so common.

I would be glad to send anyone that wants to look at one of each a raw example from both sets at my cost.

Thanks

James G