NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Is it just me or don't you think the Alabama Attorney General's Office and the Alabama Better Business Bureau should be alerted about this new auction house?

That way if (when?) problems arise about cards being sold that aren't as described the authorities will already have a heads up in knowing about what is going on?

Just a thought,

David Smith
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Cory

I’m all for giving everyone a fair chance based on their own actions. Now with that said, based on this new auction house that wants to develop Long-term relationships.....why not grade the higher valued cards before the auction? I have not seen a reasonable reply to this question. Does ANYONE want to consign with this auction house who is not tying to maximize the value of the cards the auction?

If the cards of meaningful value are professionally graded thier provenance is less pronounced. Without answering why they aren’t graded, it appears the main reason is not a long-term relationship (which will not work without consignors) but rather a quick auction or two to help out their folks monetize the inventory for them since they do not have a venue to do it themselves. This is the easiest and quickest way to do it even if some money is left on the table. Getting them graded is more work and since they are just helping their folks out, no need to do that extra work that All the reputable AHs would do. That just makes sense to help their folks out since they aren’t able to themselves now.

I’m thrilled if I’m wrong, but that just seems like logical motivation to me.

Cory Weiser
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you truly expect your 52 Jackie to 7, making it a 7K card, then you would do the work -- IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Is it just me or don't you think the Alabama Attorney General's Office and the Alabama Better Business Bureau should be alerted about this new auction house?

That way if (when?) problems arise about cards being sold that aren't as described the authorities will already have a heads up in knowing about what is going on?

Just a thought,

David Smith
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 PM
Jay Cee

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7197.JPG (52.6 KB, 445 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.
You really believe these guys are just innocent bystanders? I suggest reading through some of the points others have brought up in this thread. These guys have done nothing to convince me they're not a part of the scam. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post
My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need. Daniel
Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Hoo Boy! When the going gets tough, always play the Jesus card. If that doesn't convince all the fence-straddlers, nothing will.
If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian sports cards View Post
if this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ugh, thanks. Didn't spot it because it was only a partial quote.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If this is a fake quote it's in poor taste. I don't see this post anywhere.
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I am not commenting on the auction and wish them luck but the question is: Was Battlefield REALLY a woman or was it really a guy that was hiding behind someone else.

I am very curious and these new guys know the truth.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Sorry if I offended your tender religious sensibilities. However, had you been following, reading and actually comprehending all posts in this thread, you might understand that your accusations were / are false and unwarranted.

HINT: re-read post #161.
I'm an agnostic, so I have no religious sensibilities. That being said I can recognize something offensive when I see it and the fact that the quote DOES exist doesn't change my point. If this had been fabricated (which is all I said) it's in very poor taste. You could've merely done what Peter did and refer me to the post without actually insulting religious people.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Dave,

How dare you mock my faith. I have ZERO respect for someone who would come on a forum like this and mock someones faith. Especially someone they've never even met or talked to. You should be ashamed of yourself. Leon, I would hope that this post will be removed and that no other members of this forum would support comments like this. I am fine being attacked but I will not support someone attacking mine or anyone else's faith.

Daniel
I would agree with you, however realize that waving your faith as a banner in a forum that has nothing to do with faith is going to attract attention. Some of it will not be positive. I generally don't condone mocking anyone on a generic basis, I prefer to be specific. I would defend your right to your faith, but I might be tempted to give you grief for irrelevantly bringing it into this thread. I didn't, but I might.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I would agree with you, however realize that waving your faith as a banner in a forum that has nothing to do with faith is going to attract attention. Some of it will not be positive. I generally don't condone mocking anyone on a generic basis, I prefer to be specific. I would defend your right to your faith, but I might be tempted to give you grief for irrelevantly bringing it into this thread. I didn't, but I might.
Scott,

I'm not going to address this any further. I have zero respect for the person that made that comment. That tells me all I need to know about his character. He specifically picked out that line out of everything I have posted on this forum to mock me. Anyone who would do that has no integrity in my opinion. If you guys can't respect that then I am sorry. This will be the last I comment about this. This thread is about my auction and nothing more.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Dave,

Daniel
Hey Pal! Just a reminder: you're the one who introduced your religion into this thread - (perhaps thinking that would buy you some cred?) That was my only point in my post: when in doubt, play the Jesus card. Frankly, I don't give a rat's a** what your religious preference is. You brought it up, not me. So, that makes your comment fair game. Do not spin this like I am slamming or shaming anyone's religion. And frankly, religion is irrelevant and unwelcome to this board and this thread.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself.

Daniel
How do you know for sure that you haven't done business with anyone here in the past?

Here are your words from an earlier post:

"...we love this hobby and enjoy buying and selling items we have collected for the better part of our lives."

The probability is high that you have dealt with one of us in the past.

My opinion is that you have indeed dealt with many of us in the past, but you did so under your other usernames, Battlefield and War Eagle.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for this post. I couldn't have said it any better. We are being found guilty by association. Who has control over their parents actions or any other person for that matter? The only thing you can do in this life is control your own actions. I know who I am as a person. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ leads me and if He is with me that is all I need.

I have said this over and over and over, we do not in any way, shape, or form support the actions of Battlefield over the past several years on eBay. We are NOT them. We are a new Auction House and not one single person on this forum has ever done business with my brother or myself. Yet we are being attacked, insulted, and not taken seriously because of other peoples actions. That is not the response Leon said I would receive if I was honest and explained the situation. I look forward to proving everyone on this forum wrong and I will continue to be active on this thread and answer as many questions as I can.

Daniel
I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would not presume to judge or even comment on anyone's faith and fully respect it, but just anecdotally, back in the 90s, one of the leading card doctors who sold blatantly trimmed crap through SCD was also a preacher. It seemed incongruous.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

In the 1990's right before and in the beginning of PSA card grading, quite a few big card dealers were opposed to the idea of card grading. Very few collectors had computers and there was no Ebay. SCD was a source for many including myself to buy cards. Some dealers would put their cards in holders and put a tamperproof sticker across the opening so if you wanted to inspect the cards there was no returning the cards because the seal was broken. Many trimmed and cards that had creases were sold that way. TC Card Co was the most honest dealer of all my dealings through SCD. When he said a card was NM/MT it was. Do any of you guys remember those days?
As a side note I was at the 1989? show in Atlantic City. In the elevator one guy was telling another "We're going to have a good show, I'm going to make the T cards Mint" The card graders are not prefect, but you are much better off with them than without them in my opinion. Trimming was rampant before them.
To the brothers starting the new auction company: You have to have all the cards graded nowadays; all signed pieces too. Everything has to be graded; that's just how it's done. Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Before TPG's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiedog View Post
In the 1990's right before and in the beginning of PSA card grading, quite a few big card dealers were opposed to the idea of card grading. Very few collectors had computers and there was no Ebay. SCD was a source for many including myself to buy cards. Some dealers would put their cards in holders and put a tamperproof sticker across the opening so if you wanted to inspect the cards there was no returning the cards because the seal was broken. Many trimmed and cards that had creases were sold that way. TC Card Co was the most honest dealer of all my dealings through SCD. When he said a card was NM/MT it was. Do any of you guys remember those days?
As a side note I was at the 1989? show in Atlantic City. In the elevator one guy was telling another "We're going to have a good show, I'm going to make the T cards Mint" The card graders are not prefect, but you are much better off with them than without them in my opinion. Trimming was rampant before them.
To the brothers starting the new auction company: You have to have all the cards graded nowadays; all signed pieces too. Everything has to be graded; that's just how it's done. Good Luck.
Before we all had scanners and eBay and TPG's, you couldn't trust anyone. About 20 years ago I bought my first two prewar cards from Teletrade. The first was an EX T206 Clark Griffith card that came back from PSA as trimmed. The second was a M116 Blue Background that wasn't really a Blue Background.

That ended my purchasing from Teletrade.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I can't speak for him but I have to assume Jesus does not support attempts to deceive customers by selling altered cards as authentic and unaltered, or enhancing scans and describing cards that are vg-ex as NM.
Jesse,

I agree with you. You can choose to believe me or not but I had nothing to do with what went on with Battlefield on eBay. If you want to find me guilty by association then that's your prerogative. If we are all guilty by association then I'm sure every single person on the forum is guilty of something bad.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Jesse,

I agree with you. You can choose to believe me or not but I had nothing to do with what went on with Battlefield on eBay. If you want to find me guilty by association then that's your prerogative. If we are all guilty by association then I'm sure every single person on the forum is guilty of something bad.

Daniel
Assuming that is true, which I highly doubt, launching your new business by offering an auction consisting almost entirely of their inventory in the same raw condition seems to me to be a questionable decision. How is that supposed to dissociate you from Battlefield? Why do all of the listings include the same types of scans, descriptions, and overly optimistic grading assessments that appeared in battlefield eBay auctions?

I can't imagine why anyone would want to consign to an auction house that starts off this way when there are so many other options available.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Why do all of the listings include the same types of scans, descriptions, and overly optimistic grading assessments that appeared in battlefield eBay auctions?
Jesse,

Have you looked at the auction? I would hardly describe the majority of the auction as "overly optimistic grading assessments". There are many lower grade cards that have been clearly graded just as the higher grade stuff.

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post

Just a thought,

David Smith
David thank you for the morning laugh. The BBB is a joke and telling your mom would do just as much good. The BBB has no power to do anything to anybody. All they can do is give you a grade(LOL) on their worthless web site.

If you really are that concerned please do call both places and report back with what they tell you.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And all the state can do is not renew their auctioneers license if people complain. Also, I'd bet if they use a PO box, and don't list their physical address, they can't be sued

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
And all the state can do is not renew their auctioneers license if people complain. Also, I'd bet if they use a PO box, and don't list their physical address, they can't be sued
Ted I never knew that, now I know why so many businesses use a PO box instead of their physical address.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I'm not an attorney, but a PO box should not exclude someone from being sued. They would still need to have business licenses and permit filed with the state/city. Finding a physical address for them is also not hard either...took less than 2 minutes (edited out actual address for privacy purposes as it is a residence).

Candiman Auctions
1** S******* Dr
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 790-2145
info@candimanauctions.com
Owners: Daniel Battles & Justin Battles
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I'm not an attorney, but a PO box should not exclude someone from being sued. They would still need to have business licenses and permit filed with the state/city. Finding a physical address for them is also not hard either...took less than 2 minutes (edited out actual address for privacy purposes as it is a residence).

Candiman Auctions
1** S******* Dr
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 790-2145
info@candimanauctions.com
Owners: Daniel Battles & Justin Battles

Hartford is about 20 miles from Dothan.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.