NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2018, 11:14 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Default BGS Turnaround Time: Up to One Year

I was just told by CS that turnaround time for BGS non-guaranteed is between nine months and one year. Did not check on BVGS.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yes this was discussed on another thread, it's absurd.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Beckett

One year isn't too bad. They only have one part time grader and he is also required to do the janitorial work, so it takes a while to get the grading done, especially during the summer when he has to mow the lawn in front of Beckett's HQ.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
One year isn't too bad. They only have one part time grader and he is also required to do the janitorial work, so it takes a while to get the grading done, especially during the summer when he has to mow the lawn in front of Beckett's HQ.

Don't worry, I was told he washes his hand in between jobs.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Anson

Beckett Goes Slow (BGS)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Robert Williams

One year to grade cards????? They might as well close up shop.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Bry@n

On top of it all, this poor sap does all of this with only a single hand. I am starting to see why it takes so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Don't worry, I was told he washes his hand in between jobs.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default two reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post
I was just told by CS that turnaround time for BGS non-guaranteed is between nine months and one year. Did not check on BVGS.

two reasons to send Cards to BGS
(A) never heard of PSA
(B) see answer A
Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo10Fan View Post

It’s probably due to the volume of people submitting stupid stuff to be graded. One change I’d like to see, stop grading reprints. Seriously, what’s the point? Unless you’re trying to trick and deceive. Which should not be allowed.

Last edited by Marc Simmons; 08-28-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Simmons View Post
It’s probably due to the volume of people submitting stupid stuff to be graded. One change I’d like to see, stop grading reprints. Seriously, what’s the point? Unless you’re trying to trick and deceive. Which should not be allowed.
Even newer cards. If it's not a 9.5 or 10, then there's really no point.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...155093&page=23

Read the whole thread and it will feel like its unfolding.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:17 PM
David Peck

OMG I just read through that thread and it is shocking.

I always knew Beckett found itself in a tough spot once they lost so much market share to PSA and had their subscription business collapse in the early to mid 2000's but this is very serious.

Not only does is say they are tying submitters money up the entire time which is north of a year at this point, there is also no communication. There are definitely plenty of collectors who have and love BGS graded cards but this kind of reputational damage can really be an issue for any company. They can't afford to lose their hard core BGS fans at this point.

This is going to be very interesting to follow as the length of wait has been consistently growing so it doesn't necessarily have to stop at 12 months.

I am not in anyway privy or even suggesting BGS goes under right now but if they did what happens to your cards? Would they be easy to get back? Sounds scary.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
OMG I just read through that thread and it is shocking.

I always knew Beckett found itself in a tough spot once they lost so much market share to PSA and had their subscription business collapse in the early to mid 2000's but this is very serious.

Not only does is say they are tying submitters money up the entire time which is north of a year at this point, there is also no communication. There are definitely plenty of collectors who have and love BGS graded cards but this kind of reputational damage can really be an issue for any company. They can't afford to lose their hard core BGS fans at this point.

This is going to be very interesting to follow as the length of wait has been consistently growing so it doesn't necessarily have to stop at 12 months.

I am not in anyway privy or even suggesting BGS goes under right now but if they did what happens to your cards? Would they be easy to get back? Sounds scary.
One would think this must be having a drastic effect on new submissions so the problem should self-correct, if they survive that is

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I cannot agree more with the thoughts voiced on this thread.

A year is absurd: hire and train some more people, for crissakes. What BGS is doing is just crappy customer service.

I also agree that the grading lottery is way worse with BGS than with PSA because of the silliness of the subgrades. I submitted one card at the National in AC, and only because the PSA line was too long:

The card is spectacular. The subgrades are nonsense. The same set yielded these:

The three are identical in terms of condition.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Default Beckett Sub-Grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I cannot agree more with the thoughts voiced on this thread.

A year is absurd: hire and train some more people, for crissakes. What BGS is doing is just crappy customer service.

I also agree that the grading lottery is way worse with BGS than with PSA because of the silliness of the subgrades. I submitted one card at the National in AC, and only because the PSA line was too long:

The card is spectacular. The subgrades are nonsense. The same set yielded these:

The three are identical in terms of condition.

... I had always wondered about how BGS graders arrived at their final grade because it obviously wasn't just an "average" of the four subs ; many years ago , just before 9/11 as I recall , at the Fort Washington,PA show , someone at their table explained to me that the values of the subs were weighted , with corners and centering counting the most , and surfaces and edges less so ; and in answer to a specific question he also told me why the particular sub-grade for "corners" was almost always the lowest of the four subs : " Beckett graders consider a sportscard to have eight corners i.e. the 4 on the front and then the other 4 on the reverse"---- sooooo all that plus the high value put upon that particular sub-grade is perhaps why we just shake our heads when the cards come back and mutter unkind words about Beckett graders.----- I have seen a BGS final grade of more than .5 higher than the 'corners' grade perhaps twice ?? in twenty years , and they were very low end cards to start with. PSA's 'eye appeal' factor doesn't exist in Texas. And I remember they gave me a very nice Beckett Tee-shirt.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
... I had always wondered about how BGS graders arrived at their final grade because it obviously wasn't just an "average" of the four subs ; many years ago , just before 9/11 as I recall , at the Fort Washington,PA show , someone at their table explained to me that the values of the subs were weighted , with corners and centering counting the most , and surfaces and edges less so ; and in answer to a specific question he also told me why the particular sub-grade for "corners" was almost always the lowest of the four subs : " Beckett graders consider a sportscard to have eight corners i.e. the 4 on the front and then the other 4 on the reverse"---- sooooo all that plus the high value put upon that particular sub-grade is perhaps why we just shake our heads when the cards come back and mutter unkind words about Beckett graders.----- I have seen a BGS final grade of more than .5 higher than the 'corners' grade perhaps twice ?? in twenty years , and they were very low end cards to start with. PSA's 'eye appeal' factor doesn't exist in Texas. And I remember they gave me a very nice Beckett Tee-shirt.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

I thought the overall grade could not be more than .5 higher than the lowest sub but maybe I am wrong about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan84.jpg (63.5 KB, 153 views)

Old 08-30-2018, 01:10 PM
David Peck

Peter that was my understanding too.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I thought the overall grade could not be more than .5 higher than the lowest sub but maybe I am wrong about that.
This is my understanding, too.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:02 PM

I have seen rare circumstances when it was 1 grade higher. For example if centering, corners and edges were really high, say 8-9 and surface was low, say 3, the card could be a 4.