NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default How close is the book on these issues?

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Using the SCD for a guide. How would you rate these issues in un-graded values. Give percentages of book being too high or low. Or you could say "Right On".

1. Zeenuts
2. Tarzan
3. Big Eater
4. T-206
5. Cracker Jacks 1914/15
6. E107
7. Plowboy Cabinets
8. Postcards in general (1900-1920)
9. Cuban cards in general (1909-1940)
10. 19th century Cabinets in general.

I know how I would rate them, but I want to see what others think... I will start out and say zeenuts are 25%low. Maybe every week or so we could pick different issues to get opinions on. Seems like us die-hard collectors set the market price.... Right?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't collect everything so I have limited knowledge of how prices line up with the guide, but I have been checking Zeenuts out of late and I think you are right on being under in the guide by at least 25%.

I have a complaint about the Zeenut listings in the guides also in that I would like to see first names of the players listed.

I also think Cabinet card prices are too low in the guides for VG prices....I think they are so rare/scarce in many cases that collectors will take any condition and drive prices well above VG prices for poor condition cards.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shanon

Well speaking for the Cracker Jacks I think they are way under-priced. Using the Beckett guide it shows the 1914 Speaker at $700 in NM. Now compare this to a T-206 Speaker at $1500 in NM. I have some 1914 CJ Hofers including Speaker, Plank, Walsh, Collins, Clarke, Mack, Breshnahan, LaJoie, and Gandil. They are much more scarce than most T-206's and I know if I sold them that it would be very difficult to obtain them again.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M

1. Zeenuts (agree, at least 25% under)
2. Tarzan (not familiar with this issue)
3. Big Eater (Throw the book away)
4. T-206 (don't care anymore)
5. Cracker Jacks 1914/15 (agree, undervalued)
6. E107 (I'll buy all you have at book!!!!)
7. Plowboy Cabinets (undervalued 50%...hard to find in nice condition)
8. Postcards in general (1900-1920)(way,way overvalued...sell now before they really go in the toilet)
9. Cuban cards in general (1909-1940)(not familiar with prices)
10. 19th century Cabinets in general.(based on what I've seen, probably way undervalued.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

That t217 Mono on ebay earlier tonight went for right around what they had it in scd for vg... around 1200. It would get a sgc 10 or 20 in today's grading times, but is what everyone used to call 'very good' condition.. So scd was pretty close on those.

I have no idea what a big eater or plowboy would bring because that type of stuff doesn't make it to the end on ebay. regards

Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Way off on Cuban and Puerto Rican stuff. Off in both directions. Lemke changed some stuff that didn't reflect the market. Badly needs to be updated. Lots of incorrect info as well. Wrong years listed, inaccurate checklists, etc.

-Ryan

Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

There is a big difference between a "type" of card that is seen (on eBay) 10,000++ times a year (ie. T206) and a card that is seen 1 time every 3 years (ie. Tarzan Bread, Big Eater).

They cant be compared.

One will have a guide value that is fairly consistent, the other anything goes (because it is so rare).

Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Mainly to see what different views were on all these card types. I listed common to extreme. Would it be safe to say, that the more transactions that happen will make the book pretty close on values compared to a really hard type card that only comes up for sale once a year? Does the book leave the price the same from a year ago because no transactions publicly or do they add a % to it? I think if 20 people listed the %%% on the ten issues. We would see some common grounds here..

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

I think they do a pretty good job considering how many issues that they try to cover, but the book to me is clearly a guide to id issues more than a price guide. There are so many new issues that I believe that the publishers of scd are making a mistake by chasing those new issues. I was bidding on some ud hof sig issues that i could not find in the new scd.

There should be a pre 1980 book and a post 1980 book and lord help the post 1980 folks.regards

Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Rob, that would make our life easier. However you could just rip out the new section in the book and you are set. Plus if you saw the demographics of SCD's customers. I bet it would clearly show more people buy the 80's and up stuff compared to our stuff.... Now give me some percentages!!! JC

Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

on Point 8.

edit to say: and I am available to help anyone in that process