NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Default Almost Found Something Cool in a Small NJ Shop

I stopped into a card shop I had never been to before, in an unnamed NJ town on Tuesday and it was a real tiny place. With my friend and the owner in the store, the place was crowded.

I looked around, then asked the guy if he had anything vintage and he showed me some cards from the 50's-70's. I said do you have anything older and he mentioned he had just sold some Playball cards. So I said, I collect T206 cards and he went in the back and said he might have something interesting, some strip cards.

He came out and handed me a small pile of W516-1 cards, so I looked. Common, common, common, common, Ray Schalk, Tris Speaker, Walter Johnson and Ty Cobb!

So calmly I asked prices on them and he said, hmmm, not sure and disappeared...sort of. The back of his store was half the size of the front so I could still see him.

Unfortunately, this story has an unhappy ending. Five minutes later, he found them in his big Beckett Price Guide.

$50 each for the commons and Schalk(not a bad price because it was nice)
$300 Speaker
$500 Cobb and Johnson
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Dan Bretta

Well...you still found something cool...just not at cool prices.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Alex

If he knows what they are why doesn't he out them on eBay?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
If he knows what they are why doesn't he put them on eBay?
The five minutes he spent looking them up makes me think he had no idea what they were, other than strip cards. That and the fact most people don't just keep a random pile of "$1550 worth of cards" off to the side.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS

Last edited by z28jd; 05-08-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
The five minutes he spent looking them up makes me think he had no idea what they were, other than strip cards. That and the fact most people don't just keep a random pile of "$1550 worth of cards" off to the side.

It's odd that he was able to find them in Beckett if he didn't know what they were.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
It's odd that he was able to find them in Beckett if he didn't know what they were.
It's entirely possible he didn't find the exact cards, but he knew they were strip cards, so that kind of cuts down the search a lot. There aren't that many strip cards and they are all in one section with a sample picture you can use as a guide. Not remembering the commons, there may have been one in the set that isn't in others and he was able to find it by process of elimination.

It took him five minutes like I said, so it wasn't like he opened the book to a page and said ah ha like it was in a movie script to cut down on time.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Default Johnny D....

sorry my friend......too bad he didn't find some T206 scraps
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
It's entirely possible he didn't find the exact cards, but he knew they were strip cards, so that kind of cuts down the search a lot. There aren't that many strip cards and they are all in one section with a sample picture you can use as a guide. Not remembering the commons, there may have been one in the set that isn't in others and he was able to find it by process of elimination.

It took him five minutes like I said, so it wasn't like he opened the book to a page and said ah ha like it was in a movie script to cut down on time.
Not that odd. I have had a few HOF strip cards for a very long time. Years back I looked them up in my 2007 SCD. I put a post-it on the toploader so I will know the ACC designation. But, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what that exact designation is unless I pull them out and look at it.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Not that odd. I have had a few HOF strip cards for a very long time. Years back I looked them up in my 2007 SCD. I put a post-it on the toploader so I will know the ACC designation. But, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what that exact designation is unless I pull them out and look at it.

I did the same thing with mine.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't think it was odd at all actually. Five minutes was fine with me, I looked through other cards to kill time.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
I didn't think it was odd at all actually. Five minutes was fine with me, I looked through other cards to kill time.
It was Alex (Smokes 4) who used the term "odd". I should have quoted him It would take me more than five minutes to find the cards I mentioned

Last edited by Paul S; 05-08-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Alex

Quote:
It was Alex (Smokes 4) who used the term "odd". I should have quoted him It would take me more than five minutes to find the cards I mentioned

Paul - I never would have been able to find a strip card that fast with Beckett alone. I remember it taking me at lest an hour on the web about 10 years ago.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default According to PSA

According to PSA, there is never a (single) grader. Their website says (http://www.psacard.com/Services/PSAGradingProcess/):

"Grader #1 will then enter his grade for the card in question (and for each card within the order until the order is completed if there is more than one card) and close the order on his screen. Once that is done and after redistribution of the order, Grader #2 will do the same – not knowing the opinion of the first grader on any of the cards within that order.

If their grades match in the computer, the card would then eventually reach a 3rd grader for verification of the grade. If the opinion of the first two graders does not match, that card will be assigned to a 3rd grader whose opinion is required to break the tie, so to speak. As with the first example, the card would still be assigned to another grader for verification (a 4th grader in the process) to make sure the grade is accurate and consistent with our standards."

Based on the above, three graders had to agree that it was a 10. I also assume that "3rd" and "4th" grader above are not in reference to 9 and 10 year olds.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Pau.l C

Based on the above, three graders had to agree that it was a 10. I also assume that "3rd" and "4th" grader above are not in reference to 9 and 10 year olds.[/QUOTE]

That's very funny! I had to read it a few times.
My "3rd grader" sure likes to have her opinion be the final deciding opinion. I need to check with PSA and see if they are hiring more 3rd graders, soon to be 4th graders!
sure seems like a lot of graders to grade a single card if it's not a extra high value 9-10. Perhaps their in house disagreements between graders could explain the current slow turn around. I wonder how they handle light bulb replacement ( if it takes 4 employees to grade a card).