NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)
Default Harry Hooper and baseball writer Doug Baldwin

Dear all,

I am home visiting family in Idaho, and was going through my old childhood collection in my Dad's storage shed of mostly "junk era" cards to find a few things I wanted to keep. Among my main targets now that I am into pre-war card collecting, I was very happy to "re-find" a HOF postcard and old baseball signed by Harry Hooper, personalized to "Doug Baldwin" (they were given to me one day by a friend of my Dad's who knew he had a son that collected baseball cards).

I recently posted these in the autographs section, but thought I would also post them here in the main forum, as I am now seeking more than just autograph / ball info. Members from the autograph section were extremely helpful, and have helped date the ball to 1913-1917 (though it was not signed until June 16, 1952), as well as inform me that Doug Baldwin was in fact an old baseball writer (knowing little previously about the items, I had always just assumed he was an old autograph seeker, though I now realize that the items were signed approx. 20 years apart).

I am now trying to learn more about their apparent friendship / professional relationship. Thanks to Frank from the "Capitola Museum", I have now also managed to obtain a scan of an old article written by Baldwin in the Santa Cruz Sentinel from Feb. 5, 1937 with multiple Hooper references (I have it as a PDF if anybody is interested, though it exceeds size limits here; I therefore post a transcription below as it is interesting with other references to Ruth, Cobb, Speaker, and Comisky):

--
"Doug-Outs with Doug Baldwin

Santa Cruz Sentinel, February 5, 1937

Some one reads this column besides us and the proofreader, anyway. Yesterday Sutton Christian, one of the two naturalists who captured an eagle in the wilds of Santa Cruz county hills with Les White Sunday, received two names for his new pet. Mary Ruth Jameson of 18 Columbia street submitted the name of “Longfellow,” after inquiring whether the bird was a “boy or girl” eagle. Hiram Jones of Rt. 1 Box 474, suggested Bismarck. What do you suggest? Call either Christian at the Sentinel or Les White at his office. We know they will be glad to hear from you, especially if you have a good name for the eagle.

Harry Hooper, postmaster at Capitola, former manager of the Mission Reds and before that time one of the greatest outfielders that ever trod the outer gardens of American league baseball parks, told the 20-30 club some interesting dope about the major leagues of 1910 to 1920, when he was the speaker, Wednesday noon. Harry is one baseball player who will always maintain there were many others better than he was, but when famous baseball writers, who have seen all of the really greats in action, write column after column telling that Hooper ranks up with the best of them, they must know what they are writing about.

Harry was persuaded to talk to the club, after turning down many other opportunities extended in the past. His talk Wednesday dealt some with the spring training days when he was one of the “boys.” Baseball players are always glad when the actual conditioning grind is over, one reason being because the pay checks do not start coming through until after the season has started, he said.

When he first went up to the Red Sox, in 1909, several of the ball clubs, including the Red Sox and Chicago Cubs, trained at Hot Springs, Arkansas. When the ball park was too wet to work out on, the team manager would send the boys chasing up and down hills, getting their under-pinning in shape. After Harry had made the grade and was one of the stars of the team, a big kid named Babe Ruth joined up with the club, as a pitcher. One thing in particular that Hooper remembers about the Babe is his first year at the training camp. The Babe was betting on the ponies, without much luck and when he left with the ball club, he owed over a year’s salary in debts, contracted when the ponies failed to win, as he had bet they would.

Tris “Spoke” Speaker, who made his name great while with the Cleveland Indians, was the finest all around outfielder that ever played in the American league, Harry believes. There were others who could run better, but none had all the qualities and could do them as well as the former Cleveland manager. Tris started out with the Chicago White Sox, but when, in 1915, he thought his services were worth $12,500 a season, Charles Comisky, the late owner of the cubs, sold him to Cleveland and termed his salary demand as “absurd.” Tris would get probably $25,000 a season now and wouldn’t have to hold out for it. At that time the great Ty Cobb, whom Hooper called the greatest base runner of all time, was only getting $7000 per season.

It took the outlaw Federal league, organized about 1915, to cause the major league clubs to boost the salaries of their star players. The Federal league didn’t last long enough to do any damage, but it did give the club owners some sleepless nights before it folded up.

When Harry started his career, players all dressed in hotel rooms and made the trip to the ball parks in horse drawn cabs. Sometimes the players would climb atop these carriages and had a swell time poking fun at the natives as they traveled in “luxury” to the parks. Now all ball parks have strictly modern dressing rooms under the stands and of course taxis and modern motor buses are used for transportation to and from the park."

--

Does anybody happen to know anything further / have other articles with any info regarding the Hooper-Baldwin friendship or player-writer relationship? Also, to complement these pieces (I am keeping both), I am now also interested in eventually obtaining a pre-war Hooper card (unsigned), so I would love to see some examples of your pre-war Harry Hooper cards!

Thanks in advance for sharing and any help,

David
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-21-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Bob Donaldson

Thanks for posting. Nice article. Only thing I can add is that Tris Speaker started with the Boston Red Sox and never played for the Chicago White Sox.

Bob
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Gobucsmagic74

That ball is gorgeous! Wow!!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Thanks for posting. Nice article. Only thing I can add is that Tris Speaker started with the Boston Red Sox and never played for the Chicago White Sox.

Bob
Indeed, it seems that Baldwin did not get all his facts straight on that part!

(I double checked and the transcription of the article itself is accurate.)

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-17-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM
David McDonald

Thanks for your post. Always liked Hooper.
Here's some of his cards. Not for sale unfortunately. The M116 was a toughie.

1927 Zeenut Redeemed and Autographed

Paul Thompson photo
Old 07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Ken Wirt

Here's my W-card of Hooper. Question: I'm positive this card pictures the HOFer, but always figured his middle name must have been Edward. I see now, that it was actually Bartholomew. What gives? Anyone know the story, as to why his W516 cards are labeled "Ed?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122. Harry Hooper.jpg (79.7 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by triwak; 07-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Doug Franz

Default Hooper ball

That ball, by itself, is amazing! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Default Harry Hooper and baseball writer Doug Baldwin

Thanks guys for sharing. Really love the Cracker Jack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-18-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:01 AM

Harry Hooper is the only player to win four championships with the Red Sox. He was a class
act.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Brian Macdonald

Harry Hooper's father was from my home province, Prince Edward Island
Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Great post! That signed ball is gorgeous.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Thanks Blair and others. It has been extremely interesting finally learning a bit more about these pieces that have been stashed in a storage shed for the past 15 years!

Cheers, David

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 07-21-2015 at 12:04 AM.