NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Scott

Gents,

I'm mildly considering the long task of building an affordable T3 set. Currently we only have two cards, Matty and Rhodes.

Can someone familiar with this set share some basic info. E.G. How many cards, How tough are they to find, are there any very difficult/scarce players.

How much should I look to pay for complete PSA 1 type cards -- commons, and basic HOF?

Is this a reasonable undertaking...or just too darn hard to buy piecemeal?
If anyone's bought raw T3s....is there anything to be particularly careful about (like trimmed borders for T206, etc)

Regards,
Scott

Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Matt

"affordable T3 set"

I wasn't aware of such a thing...

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Bobby Binder

There are 131 cards total in the set not including the boxers. The cost to put together a PSA 1 or SGC 10 set at current prices would be:

Common player: $150-175 each
HOF: $400-500
Cobb:$1700

This is a basic guideline and there are some cards that are more difficult then others. We still do not have a recorded sale for a Paskert Cin& Phil variation. We have all the data available you just need to do the research.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The two you name are a fantastic start. Rhoades is difficult to find, much less buy. If you have that one, then you can pursue completion, I would think.

An odd aspect of the cards is that folks would write in and request the one they wanted. So you have to figure more Mathewson card were requested than some of the others. To some extent, the price differences between Hall of Famers and commons does not reflect that difference in supply, because those are still the ones with more demand today.

There was an excellent thread about T3s some time ago, it talked about how the backs changed as additional cards were offered.

With Rhoades in hand, you have a serious start toward getting the set.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: jay wolt

Scott - There's 100 cards in the set
50 in each series. The 2nd series has checklist
& ad backs.
Common PSA-1's cost around $150-$200
lower Hofers about double that
Tougher cards incl Bob Rhoades, Kitty Bransfield
Owen Wilson and the horizontal action cards.

Good luck with your set its very rewarding
& challenging...jay

Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Matt

I think those prices are low - a PSA 1 Mathewson went for close to $1k yesterday and the last 2 PSA 1 Johnsons went for well more then $900.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: jay wolt

Matt - my prices listed were for lower level HOFers
like Bresnahan, Griffith, Wallace, Jennings etc..

Cobb, Matty, Cy, Johnson, Speaker & Lajoie are top tier
and are much higher as you indicated.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Hey guys,

The Standard Catalog shows 126 T3s, and 4 variations, that would be 130...

Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia says 100 players, 126 cards, and he lists 5 variations, that would be 131.

The difference is that the Encyclopedia lists 2 Willis cards, #40, one with "Pittsburg" and the other with "Pittsburg now with St. Louis Nat'l"

So 100 players,

and 131 cards.

And Johnson and Mathewson will go for much more than normal HOFers. The Standard Catalog has Rhoades way undervalued.

Speaker and Lajoie T3s would go for megabucks, if found... 'cause they aren't listed on the back of a Turkey Red, they weren't made. (Edit, please see post below where I correct this mistake of mine.)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Scott

Great info as always. Sounds like it's doable just will take some time (and of course $$)

They sure are beautiful cards....just gotta get used to them after playing around with T205/T206 for so long.

Regards,
Scott

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: nbrazil

expect solid competition on auctions.

expect plenty of raw cards to purchase.

eye appeal with low grades can be had with pin holes and back damage.

high tier HOF'ers and horizontals are tough to acquire (because of fierce competition)

overall, this set isnt terribly scarce, but highly popular because they are now being graded by both SGC and PSA and they are extremely attractive. i've gotten back into the set...and the prices are higher than when i first started collecting them a year ago.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Frank,

Can you explain your comment about the Speaker and Lajoie.

Thanks

lee

Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Late at night and needing sleeps is the only explanation I can offer... I thought I'd glanced at at alphabetical list and that Speaker and Lajoie aren't in the set.

With dawn of day, a cup of coffee, and your post; I can now see that the cards do exist. Apologies to Jay W, he's correct, that those two would command a higher price than other Hall of Fame players. The Standard Catalog has Speaker at a higher price than Lajoie, Mr. Lipset mentions Speaker as a popular, more plentiful T3, I'd think that today the price of the two should level out a bit, Speaker down a bit, Lajoie up a bit.

Wagner isn't in T3... T3s seem to have been released after T206s, I think the T206 is the only T card with Wagner.

As for Rhoades... Bob Rhoads was his name, the card says Rhoades. That is the key card for the set.

Thanks for the inquiry, Lee.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: George

Scott,
I found this website to be extremely helpful. Take care.

www.t3turkeyred.com/

George

Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Info

Posted By: JK

Speaker's cards do not appear to have dropped in price to me. To the contrary, his card, which is one of the nicest looking in the set, remains very poplular.