NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default So what should this card Grade and What would you Prefer

Posted By: James Gallo

It will be going off to SGC shortly, what do you think it should/will grade at.

card is really nice with great colors and just slightly rounded corners. There are mega light wrinles on the tip of the upper right and lower left corners. No other creases or problems. Obvious issues are the staining and the tiny pin hole at the top.

So what do you think?

Ok so to add to this what would you prefer this card as a Poor or something that is all beat to hell with tons of creasing but no paper loss??

I would prefer the pin hole in this and likely most cases.

It's a very displayable HOF card with great colors.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The pinhole at the top of the card may automatically knock the card down to SGC 10.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I agree, the pinhole knocks it down to a 10.

Joe

Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

My guess: 20 based on description.

Joann

Old 06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

The highest grade I've ever seen SGC provide to a card with a pinhole is a 20. Apparetnly SGC saw some other attributes to raise a card with a hole to the grade of 20 (from a typical 10). PSA would grade the card no higher than a "1".

Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Goldner

But from a grading perspective, the pinhole is a fatal flaw.

Thus, i expect it will come back SGC 10.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I expect it to be a 10 or 20 and hope it gets a 20. It's such a nice card and the pin hole is in a spot where it doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the input and feel free to keep them coming.

James Gallo

Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

The scan looks like it is already in a PSA holder? Is that a PSA 1? If so, defintely try SGC and/or GAI. Not even because of any opinion about the competence of various grading companies - purely because both GAI and SGC have the 1.5 grade available to them so they don't HAVE to put such a wide variety of cards into the "1" category. You're break-even or better - the worst you can do is end up with a 1, and might sneak up a half grade.

I have a few SGC/GAI 1.5's that I would never send to PSA, even if I were to sell them. Too low to be a 2, but not the train wreck that some 1's are, the 1.5 is perfect. PSA would have no choice but to grade them 1.

Joann

Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Yes it is in a PSA 1 holder and honestly I expect it to get a SGC 20. I have seen hammered cards as 1 and then you seen a card like this with a 1 grade, it just has to make you wonder.

I don't like that PSA groups the Poor Fair grade together, it just becomes to broad.

James Gallo

Old 06-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Pinhole and other overall wear=poor. I would suggest not even sending the card to SGC and saving your money grading the card.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

SGC-10

Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I would have to say more likely to be a SCG 10 as well...especially in light of that pinhole. I totally agree with PSA 1 grading problems..when you see thrashed cards mixed in with decent but worn cards getting the same grade..the credibility suffers a bit. Still a sweet card..I'd be happy to have that in a collection.

Cheers.

Ricky

Old 06-07-2006, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

It's not worth enough to pay for grading fees twice, is it?

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 06-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Brian has it correctly assessed.

It will get a 1.

And when it does, you'll be dissatisfied with the results.

At present you have a nice card that you like. I like it. Once it gets slabbed, you'll have a slabbed card you're unhappy with, and you paid for that!

Admittedly, I have an EXTREME bias against the slabbing of cards. I broke an E90-1 out last night, to put in a book with my others. So I wouldn't get this card of yours slabbed. But even the slabheads (which are the majority on this board) see that you shouldn't slab this card. Unless you've got a megabuck buyer lined up for this card, with the price agreed upon and very high, on condition that the card will grade.

I'd leave it alone. And I'll also wager you send it off to get graded.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I think that it is a vg/ex card, with some problems. How much you downgrade the card depends on your evaluation of the severity of the problems. My evaluation is the card is decreased to maybe a vg at best.

What GAI, SCG or others may think does not matter to me anymore than it matters to the Great Wake. I am comfortable in employing my criteria in the assessment of a card's value to me. And pinholes are part of the character and history of a card, not a "fatal flaw" in my grading scheme.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

Here is what SGC says (10 - 30 can have a pinhole(s)), I guess it could be a 20 maybe, but I would lean toward the 10.

30 GOOD 2: Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits one or more of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tear, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss.

20 FAIR 1.5: Centered 90/10 or better. This card usually exhibits several of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, a small portion of the card may be missing.

10 POOR 1: This card usually exhibits many of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tears, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss, small portions of the card may be missing.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

I grade it an SGC 05. That said, it's still a great card and I would love to have it. But since SGC doesn't go below 10/1, it's a 10/1.

But if you'd rather take a chance crossing the card over to SGC because, even if you're disappointed with the grade, you prefer to have an SGC 10 than a PSA 1, then great. In that case, I see the merit of crossing that card over to SGC.

However, if you really want a chance at getting a half grade higher, I would try GAI before SGC. I have some GAI 1.5s that would never have been SGC 20s. But, for that card, I doubt there's any more market value in a GAI 1.5 slab than there is in a PSA 1 or SGC 10 slab.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

It's a 10.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

James,

I'm guessing you just want the card in an SGC holder because the contrast that the black border will provide for the card. That black border makes a card really stand out. Does it really matter what grade it gets?

I'm pretty sure there wont be much difference in resale value between a 10 and 20 because at those levels people will probably buy the card and not the holder. Overall there are different reasons that "slabheads" like to have their cards encapsulated. For me, I like to have cards encapsulated to protect them. I don't care about the number on the label. If I purchase a card that's slabbed I wont bid more than what I feel it's worth. Like they say, buy the card, not the holder.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Well I have several reasons for getting it graded by SGC.

First I bought it in the PSA holder so I didn't pay to slab it.

By slabing it I can add it to my 1914 registry SGC set.

I really like the look of SGC holders especially with Cracker Jacks in them.

I got it for a cheap price IMO so another $10 isn't going to make a difference.

It is easier to sell a slabbed card.

Lastly, I have a few other cards I need to send in.

I think those are pretty solid reasons to slab it.

Thanks for all the responses and LMK what you think about the pin hole vs creases debate.

James Gallo

Old 06-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

SGC typically grades cards with pinholes a 10 or 20. However, Ive had a couple that have rec'd 30s. For example, the card below rec'd a 30.
Given that your card has wrinkles and is stained, I would guess a 10.