NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2001, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Any thoughts on these Cracker Jacks?

Posted By: runscott

They sure are shiny and dark red. Also, no staining on any of them. But if they came from an elderly man...
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1053280315

Old 12-29-2001, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hey Scott, I have one just like that for half the price, interested?

Old 12-29-2001, 02:46 AM
Administrator

This is one of my favorite sets, but I've only picked up one (SGC graded) because there are so many copies around and many of the legit ones have been trimmed. But someday I'll get a Wagner.

Old 12-29-2001, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor

Scott
They are reprints. Cracker Jacks don't have the gloss that you see an these. They have a rough texture.

Old 12-30-2001, 06:28 AM
Administrator

I was at an antique store yesterday and found a fake CJ for $49, exactly like the ones on e-bay - shiny,dark red, a little too small. He also had a fake t206 that wasn't from the "Monster" set, for only $44!

Old 12-30-2001, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The Baker has HUGE borders, such as no Cracker Jack ever had. How you can make out the "shine" in such a dark picture, I don't know.

Old 12-30-2001, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw707

Easily seen as a reprint! Real Cracker Jack cards have no gloss, and are made of a thin construction paper with a rough texture. On real cards, there is no ink for the light parts of the uniform, only the natural paper color. If the Baker was real, the uniform and border would be exact same color and blend together. Also I believe the seller said they were 1914's, he is wrong. The "176 picture series" (E145-2) is 1915, and the backs of all real 1915 cards are printed upside down. In other words the top of the front is the same edge as the bottom of the back. I have never seen a reprint yet with the back printed the right (upside down) way. Frank

Old 12-30-2001, 03:02 PM
Administrator

but maybe Ima seein thangs - we ain't always so smart way down here in thuh south

Old 12-31-2001, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

What's eery it that no what angle the card as photograph is taken at, Home Run's always looking directly at(though) you. Just like in that Bela Lugosi movie I saw last night.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Julie - are you the wire photo expert? I'm looking for vintage wire photos of Baker, Flick, Griffith and Wheat. I blindly bought Hubbell and Terry (very cheap). Any suggestions on where I should look to gain a little knowledge before parting with my dough? Thanks

Old 01-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My mother's from Selma, Alabama. WHERE she led unaccredited Selma High School to the state championship in girls' basketball in --er 1918?

Old 01-01-2002, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

The 'Collector's Guide to Early Baseball Photographs' is coming out with a second edition in about two monthes and it will have a section on wire photos (already written).

You might wish to check with Greg Manning Auctions, as they always have a great variety of origina wire photos, it seems most from the Baseball Magainze Archives.

As there is ignorance/confusion about wire photos, there are some great deals to be had on original photos of Hall of Famers, other than Ruth, Gehrig and the like. I bought on eBay a beautiful, original and high grade 1930s photo of Herb Pennock for $15.

Old 01-01-2002, 02:34 PM
Administrator

David - forgot you dealt with wire photos. That was a real nice Walter Johnson photo you had on ebay recently. One that got me thinking recently was a real nice Frank Baker with an inset of his batting grip - if memory serves me right, the seller said it was used in a '70s publication. It was very nice but I figured it was "later generation" and probably not worth the $85+ it went for. I'm looking forward to the book - please keep us informed. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

A couple of years ago, someone auctioned a '53 Bowman set on eBay. It didn't come with any scans, but I becamse suspicious because it was missing a few cards, and the cards that it was missing were in sequence. That doesn't seem particularly typical.

The seller claimed to be consigning the cards for the original collector, and told me they were being kept in a safe deposit box.

Eventually I got some scans from him and they had the same sort of huge borders that this card has. Actually, they were more like the left border, all the way around. Dramatically ugly.

I wonder if they were put out by the same company?

It is possible that this seller doesn't know what he's doing. He doesn't seem to be much of a card guy.

bruce