NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2017, 07:01 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Default T206 Centering

When considering top/bottom centering on a T206, should a card grade higher with perfect 50/50 dimensions, or should there be a slightly larger bottom margin to account for the name and team? For me, a card with around 40/60 centering (the Brown for example, as opposed to the Heinie Wagner which has the writing right on the edge) is ideal. I look for a card that has the same amount of white below the writing as above it. Interested to hear opinions on what gives a card the best “eye appeal” and how that compares to what is considered when assigning a technical grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Andrew1975; 11-20-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Mike Biggans

Personally, I agree with you. Having the name centered on the bottom border is more eye-appealing than having both borders be equally centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 PM
pete ullman

I also agree...I prefer the caption on the bottom's border to be about 60/40 to the top on a t card.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Make that 3 that agree. BTW - is that Speaker an American Beauty?
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Agreed.

I think my Cobb exhibits centering that is a little higher than you guys are talking about, BUT I'd prefer this type of centering, versus one where the bottom border is thin and the name & team are encroached upon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb 7.jpg (78.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 08:12 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

Thanks for the input, Gents. Any idea how the TPGs view the issue? Bill, unfortunately, just a Piedmont back on the Speaker (SGC 50/4). It does look a bit thin... The Cobb is extraordinary - beautiful card. That centering, to me, although not “perfect”, is definitely better than that of cards where the lettering is on the edge.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 11-20-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For personal preference I like Brown's top to bottom centering the best.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post
. I look for a card that has the same amount of white below the writing as above it.
Agreed. Great topic by the way. Have wondered what others thought about this for years but never thought to post about it.

As for PSA, my suspicion is that there is no consensus on what a 50/50 top to bottom centered T206 is and it’s presently left up to the individual grader. Good question for Mr. Hall or Mr. Orlando.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:14 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I also prefer the higher image, allowing a centered caption at the bottom (as shown with the 3F Brown).

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Bruce Fairchild

I first compare the top margine with the right and left. To me all should be very close before I'll consider the purchase.
Some that I own are near equal at top, right and left while the bottom may be somewhat wider to allow for the name. If the bottom is too wide or too narrow it is distracting.
All of this brings another question to mind, how much more are you willing to pay for a card that meets your requirements?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I first compare the top margine with the right and left. To me all should be very close before I'll consider the purchase.
Some that I own are near equal at top, right and left while the bottom may be somewhat wider to allow for the name. If the bottom is too wide or too narrow it is distracting.
All of this brings another question to mind, how much more are you willing to pay for a card that meets your requirements?
I have paid a lot more for a card with great centering especially if the card is notorious for being o/c. I don't know the exact number but maybe 35% or more....but each card is different. And then sometimes you see one and you know it's a special card...(not a T206) and you pay up or you miss out. I know many board members (if not most) have a card they HAD to have . Apologies for the same old card, will have to get a new one soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe901youngpsa2a.jpg (77.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Leon, that's exactly what I was talking about! The top, left and right margins are nearly, if not, perfect. I don't think the wide bottom distracts any from the presentablility (is that a word?).
You are right, if you miss out you may never see another that looks so good.
I'm not that experienced to know which cards are difficult to find centered.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM
T0NY @

Criteria for every collector is different so there really is no wrong or right answer when it comes to centering on certain prewar issues such as T206.

First and foremost for me is always image quality (color & registration) Second comes side to side centering (must be somewhat decent)

Top to bottom centering I have some give. Fat top borders are welcome if plenty of bottom border remain which actually gives the card some character in my opinion.