NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Scott

Default Strip card question

Hey, anyone have ANY Idea why Strip cards are going for such NUTTY prices nowadays? Back in the day, they were VERY affordable ways to get old cards for your collection. Even commons or "A" examples seem crazy priced everywhere I look. Any ideas all?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Aren't a lot of them graded "A" because they're hand-cut? I think they're actually pretty cool and they're only going for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a more popular card of the player
Old 08-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Phil Garry

Scott:

Do you have any examples to share?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Scott

well. I have seen some here on NET54 and on ebay. I can recall commons going for 5-10 and stars obviously for more, but still affordable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Faber-Ba...item4aadfd0628

Seems high to me as a starter. Maybe its my imagination to generalize, as now on bay, I see some that are fair priced/bids/
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think that the strip cards, for the longest time went somewhat unnoticed, or were frowned upon because of how truly generic they are. I think that lately, since people are learning more about them, the appreciation for them is growing at a nice pace. First, there's a few HOF rookies in those sets. Second, they're cheaper alternatives to the more typical cards for anyone putting together a HOF collection. Third, many of the sets are small enough, that completing them in a timely manner, without breaking the bank is very possible. As far as prices go, it's simple supply and demand. More people are interested in them, therefore higher prices. As far as "A"s getting good prices, I'd attribute that to the fact that with strip cards, sometimes "A" is about as good as you can reasonably find. Basically, "A" might be the standard grade for strip card, whereas NM is the standard for modern cards.

Last edited by novakjr; 08-21-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Phil Garry

Scott:

I agree that the price listed for the sample that you provided is very high but there are also no bidders and probably won't be. Just another e-bay museum piece.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
well. I have seen some here on NET54 and on ebay. I can recall commons going for 5-10 and stars obviously for more, but still affordable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Faber-Ba...item4aadfd0628

Seems high to me as a starter. Maybe its my imagination to generalize, as now on bay, I see some that are fair priced/bids/
Strip cards of the Black Sox players - particularly in W514's (card shown is a W515) have always commanded a premium. I believe W514's have 7 of the 8 Black Sox players - missing only the McMullin card. The set has some importance also in that it was issued in 1920 and fairly close to the date of the scandal.

I have a hard time justifying paying so much for strips of the Black Sox players....so my W514 set only has a couple of black sox cards.

Z Wheat

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 08-22-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default high grade

I never really understand the thought of paying a lot for a high grade strip card but to each his own. I don't think strips get the credit they deserve as some are really neat. As far as some going high I would imagine if it were high grade ones then some of the registry guys could be fighting for them. Memory Lane has a very good following of registry set folks. I have bid and won several items in their auctions and have never had any reason, from those winnings or elsewhere, to think there were anything but legitimate bids being placed. I bid with them without reservation. IF you paid a lot, or a little, then that is how the bidding went. I overpay for stuff all of the time. Here is one I overpaid for in a Huggins and Scott auction.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Leon, I don't think you can really 'overpay' for a Wool's back. Just too darn scarce to figure a 'market price' to use as a reference. Nice pick!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I sell a few strip cards, and most do get the Authentic tag. However, there is still a premium for strip cards with nice borders (the fuller the better) even if they don't meet the minimum size requirements to get a number grade.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Scott

Good discussion guys, my main point was that not long ago, you could go to a show, and get a strip card for single digit money, in relatively good shape. Seemingly, in comparison, things went way up proportionately in value to not long ago.

Far as the "A" grade, is it really necessary to get em slabbed, unless you love e'thing slabbed? Just curious. Have they been heavily reprinted?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Good discussion guys, my main point was that not long ago, you could go to a show, and get a strip card for single digit money, in relatively good shape. Seemingly, in comparison, things went way up proportionately in value to not long ago.

Far as the "A" grade, is it really necessary to get em slabbed, unless you love e'thing slabbed? Just curious. Have they been heavily reprinted?
They have been reprinted quite a bit, but to me, getting them slabbed is a bit over the top. I am not sure if I have ever had one slabbed....and if I ever did it would probably have only been a high end one. I might consider getting these (below) slabbed some day in order to protect them. Also, since we aren't quite positive what they are I am not sure if I want them labeled as W cards.

On the valuation note, yes, some of the strips have really gone up in price...

Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've had a few slabbed.

They still represent a strong budget option for prewar collecting, especially if you are OK with some technical flaws. And there are a wide variety of difficulty levels from the easiest common cards to the very difficult, barely catalogued issues like the ones Leon showed above or these:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Ruth strip cards have numerous reprints as I have found: Link

Leon, what set(s) is that Thorpe and Mathewson cards from? Those are nice! I've never seen those before.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post

Leon, what set(s) is that Thorpe and Mathewson cards from? Those are nice! I've never seen those before.
They are classified as 1915 W-Unc, but they are one of the few remaining mysteries in the hobby. Lew Lipset doesn't believe they were strip cards and were some kind of candy cards. Maybe some day we will know for sure. Three of those shown are uniquely known today.

Last edited by Leon; 08-22-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
James Gallo

I have owned a lot of strip cards, I really like them and am building a 514 set as well as the UNC set Leon showed some examples of. I have never seen any nice looking cards for 10 or less, if they are that cheap they are cut down to hell or really badly damaged. I will keep a nice looking authentic card over a poor looking 10 or 20. Also I have had some really nice looking cards come back authentic and I still don't think any company is consistant with how they grade them.

I was able to buy nice mid grade cards for around $20-30 each from one dealer at the National. They were already slabbed and the prices were very reasonable. I even got some HOF for around 50 in SGC 40 holders. IMO I will never buy a high grade strip (8 or better) as I would just feel it was recently cut down. I would ideally love a SGC 60 set or there abouts.

That being said I have a lot of strips up for auction right now a .99 and no reserve including many W514 Black Sox. They end tomorrow and are SUPER cheap right now, so I hope that what you are saying is correct, otherwise I will take a bath on them including the Jackson.

James G