NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Default Veterans Appreciation thread

Posted By: Steve

Due to trolling, this thread is now dead.

Thankyou, to the majority for the supportive posts.

Back to base ball cards.

Steve F
USN
11/76 -11/80

edited title to be on topic.....hope you don't mind, steve....(leon)

Old 11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Ray

I second that! Thanks to each and every one of our veterans. Without them,where would we be today?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Rucker

My dad fought at Iwo Jima, He was a Medic attached to 4th division Marines.
To all my Viet Nam comrades "Welcome Home"
Thanks to all Veterans, Past and Present.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will also second the motion that we pay respect to our Veterans past and present.....

Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Thank you for your kind thoughts

173rd Airborne Brigade - Republic of South Viet Nam - Sep 69 through Apr 71.

Rick

Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

He never talked very much about it, but he served under Patton. He once (and only once) told me stories about his service under Patton.

Rich

Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Rich,
One of my wife's uncle's served under Patton and he only enjoys talking about it with me. Her family is shocked, because he would never talk to them about anything that happened "over the pond". Both of my Grandfathers served in WW2 and 2 of my uncles served in Korea and Vietnam, so it's in the family. A sincere thanks to all those who have given up so much for this country. Be well Brian

Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill latzko

While you (Leon) certainly have the right to lock and limit whatever threads and responses you so choose, I feel you need to be an equal discrimination moderator/owner!! You have deleted other messages far less inflammatory than these There are MANY of us , in the USA and some on the net54 who feel our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan equates to mass slaughter of innocent human beings; this war , like Vietnam, perpetrated by multinational corporations and a war machine and government that cares NOTHING for human life , whether ours or non-white foreign civilians while we pretend it is for protecting our way of life and democracy. (really for the oil companies and wealthy)We have NO right to insist our way of life is any better or more moral than theirs, and for those who continue to choose to be blinded by the propaganda machine of the Neo-Nazis in power, keep in mind that it's no small coincidence how most of the world, INCLUDING those in Western Europe oppose and HATE us for what we have done. While those of you are quick to praise our servicemen, they are VOLUNTEERS (not a draft anymore)who choose to kill innocent people.Wake up people although it must be difficlt to see past your $200,000-$1,000.000 homes and comfortable lives and forget the struggles many of us(and you??)participated in during the late 60's and early 70's.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Bill Huh?
My son in the Army infantry in Iraq as I type this.
Its nice to know he has your support.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Kindler

Thank You Veterans and those who serve today for protecting my four children and giving us the freedoms that we have.

Thank you for giving Bill the right to say the dumbest ass stuff on this forum. If Bill and others like him only thanked those who protect his rights instead of questioning how he has them our country would be a much nicer place to live. America- Love it or Leave it!

Tim Kindler

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Support to do what...you know you were lied to by Cheney et al and you still want to devastate a country for profit. How do you justify that ..We glorify our Revolutionary War patriots who fought against the British but it's OK for us to mess with everyone else's lives on the planet if we see fit. WE are the terrorists and they are nothing more than defenders of their homeland. What else do you expect than suicide bombers etc? OUT NOW!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lamb

I too thank the servicemen who fought in America's Wars. I had one grandfather who was at Pearl Harbor and we just lost him this past summer at the age of 89. He talked one time to me about it and it nearly brought him to tears. My other grandfather was stationed in Germany where he had 3/4 of his right calf blown off. He passed away in 1989 and I still have his Purple Heart and Bronze Star and they are my most prized possessions, more than any baseball card I could possibly own. So I too thank Bill for his words and support for the troops. It is for people like him that our troops do the job they do, no matter how stupid they are.

Bob Lamb

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Go enlist and put your money (balls) where your mouth is!!!(And don't tell me you're too old or have 4 kids or served before)By the way, the "Love it or Leave it" is totally contradictory to what you see as a country which gives the freedoms you perceive and feelthat I have too. If in fact we have these freedoms, you shouldn't be afraid or opposed to those who exercise their right to protest what is going on---that's the idea of the freedoms we have....or do you just support the freedom to wage war on who you choose and the freedom to "kick out" who voices opposition.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I am not playing favoritism with my support for America and our servicemen and women. I will continue my support for them.....IF you don't then that is your prerogative. I have mixed feelings about the war but my support for the men and women fighting for our country will not waiver. Semper Fidelis.....(Marine Occupational Skill (MOS) 0352- Dragon missileman '79).....warm regards

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Bill,

Your freedom to trash this thread has been secured by the very society and goverment for which you seem to hold disdain.

Why don't you move out of the USA and be a happier person.

Sure, the service men and women are volunteers of sorts. Most have their own ideas of what it means to be an American and all of them should be commended, not belittled. I don't think that you can blame the people that join the military for what is happening. They do as they are told because they are soldiers. If they disobey then the consequences to them are severe as could be the consequences to this country. No, this isn't a perfect country but I've been to enough countries to know that it's one of the best ones.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Ok, I'll say it . . . Bill - you are an idiot.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Bill,
Who the hell are you! I have served and am now retired. Like my father before me, my grandfather, and my great grandfather. You are correct. This IS the greatest country in the world because you and I both get to say and believe what we feel is correct. No matter what side you are on you don't get stoned or beheaded. The other "great" countries and "nonterrorists" that you speak of do do these things to those who have a different view. Were you in a coma for 9/11?

God Bless
Tim Kindler

Can we get back to baseball cards now.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

As a former infantry soldier, I would like to say thank you for the kind words from all of you. If any forum member has a family member serving at this time, I wish them a safe return home. Please give them all the support you can escpecially at this time of year.

Jantz

Old 11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

My dad was in wwI--tank divisions in europe after escaping Nazi Germany with some of his family(some died in the concentration camps)and arriving here at age 16; He's now almost 85. I think there's a big difference between that JUSTIFIABLE intervention/war and what we have done in Vietnam, etc to now.I think it's pretty darn obvious , and it CERTAINLY is to the rest of the world (whether those with blinders choose to see or not) what our motives have been in these recent years.If anyone thinks for a nanosecond that our highest elected officials care at all for lost American lives , they are sadly mistaken. Profit and greed rules and the insane amount of $$$$ we spend every day could solve ALL of our nation's problems---hey we could even build a fence to keep out the illegals which would make some people happy!!!VINTAGE PEACE NOW!!!(to keep this a vintage post!!)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Bill,
Your dad is a hero for what he was involved in during WWII. I thank him for his service.

Tim Kindler

Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Hey gang, I found out why Sly ol' Bill is takin' it to the streets, dropping acid and burning Our flag...

Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

To all the service men and women - "Thank you!".

Bill - You are exactly right...we do have the right to say whatever we wish. Therefore I'd like to say...Bill your an idiot.

Rob M.

P.S. Sorry, I don't usually go there.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lamb

Bill,
I feel real sorry for you. The hostility in your words are sad.What these soldiers do today to provide a blanket of freedom for us is to be commended. Nobody is talking about the political machine that is behind the war. We are talking about the soilders themselves. If you cannot show support for them then you have serious issues and need to seek help right away. May God bless your soul( if you have one).

Bob
P.S.- I guess Hiliary will be getting at least 1 vote huh Bill.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I truly admire those who have served in Iraq for their courage. That doesn't mean I have to agree with America being there, or respect the politicians who sent them.

Support the troops: keep them alive and bring them home!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Bob----you say my words are hostile???They are WORDS to express strong convictions while YOUR support of invasion and slaughter of innocent people is called what?? Friendly?????Loving??Oh, and I guess your judgement as to whether I have a soul or not is also kind and not hostile!! You have a good point trying to separate the political machine from the soldiers themselves--many of us see them "tied together" much more than you do. As for the Hillary issue you bring up, you'd probably vote for Jeb Bush to continue that family's destruction of everything good in this country as they trick you and millions of others

Ramram--You're an idiot also and at least I dont spell "you're " incorrectly-- Or as we used to saymany years ago in elementary school--(see, I AM keeping this vintage!!!)--"I know you are but what am I"!!!!

Tim--I agree completely Bring 'em home NOW.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Bill,

I hear this group is looking for a few good...ummm...men. You might want to check them out.

http://www.targetofopportunity.com/codepink.htm

There might be a soldiers funeral in your area that you could protest and hold up a "Baby Killer" or "Terrorist" sign, check the obits in your local paper. Remember..In order to keep the 60's alive you have to do your part.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

"We have NO right to insist our way of life is any better or more moral than theirs"

Gee Bill - I guess if you were around in '41 you wouldn't have laid any value judgements on the Nazis.

"keep in mind that it's no small coincidence how most of the world, INCLUDING those in Western Europe oppose and HATE us for what we have done."

Gee Bill - Isn't it strange how Germany, France, and Canada have recently elected Center Right governments much more in tune with Bush Administration policies than their predecessors? But in your world view, I guess those elections were all stolen.

Gee Bill - It must be lonely being the one remaining truly enlightened saint left standing among us. There is certainly room to criticize US foreign policy. As an earlier poster wrote, our country is not perfect. It never has been. However your resorting to impugning motives and spewing epithets such as Neo-Nazi only demonstrate an absence of any intellectual substance or critical thinking - and a vomit-inducing self-righteousness. Maybe you should expand your information sources beyond the Daily Kos.

Oh yea - thank you to all you vets and active duty folks for what you have done and will do for our country.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Its sad that we are going to have to lock a thread started to thank our troops, past and present, because a few people can't keep their political views out of a vintage card forum.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Bill, Vietnam War was justified because we had to stop the International Communist Conspiracy to rule the world. Just like the Korean War. We couldn't have Communist World domination. The Americans could have taken over North Vietnam if they really wanted to, but I think they were too worried about the russians and Chinese getting more involved. About Iraq, juat because they didn't find any WMDs, doesn't mean that they dont have any. We know they atleast HAD WMDs because under Hussein they gassed 5000 Kurds and murdered thousands more in different ways. The Americans and British got rid of a dictator who murdered thousands of people, but oh yeah, the Americans never should invaded ! I forgot !

Iran and North Korea could be next too, but I don't think Kim Jong Ill has the balls to nuke the South, or the U.S for that matter. President ahmadinejad seems like a complete nut also.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Thank you soldiers past and present.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Bill, I am sure that you don't realize it, but it is cowards like you that actually perpetuate the war in Iraq. Look at our history. We could have easily won in Viet Nam, but the protestors put so much pressure on the politicians that the politicians stopped the bombing a few days short of North Viet Nams surrender. The Iraqi's look at our history in Viet Nam and Somalia, and they listen to the protests that are going on now, and they KNOW that all they need to do is keep applying the pressure and wait us out and they will win. Losers/cowards like you lost the Viet Nam war, and you will be responsible for losing the Iraq war. How many young men have been killed needlessly because the enemy knows that we will pack up and go away if the war drags on?

When you watch TV and see the wounded and dead soldiers and civilians, remember that YOU are dirctly responsible for much of this. You have the right to your opinion, but I certainly do not have respect for you or your opinion.

Rick

Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

Bill,

From myself as a vet. Down through the rest of my serving family.

I give you a hearty F*#K OFF.

Go find a political message board to spout off on.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Administrator

I would really prefer not to delete this thread. I know this is a baseball card board but this thread was started with great and noble intentions. Just because one person expresses his extremely unpopular views (forget the politics about the war for a moment) concerning those who have fought, and are fighting, for our freedom doesn't mean we shouldn't rally support. If America were one of the Communist places he no doubt enjoys, and supports, he would have been hung in public until dead.......Keep the faith my man!!!!! Semper Fi..

Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"Ok, I'll say it . . . Bill - you are an idiot."

short and on right on target.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George

Bill,

Just out of curiosity, what does your dad think about veterans of the United States military?

George

Honorable Discharge
United States Army
Viet Nam

Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Leon,

I enjoy and support Communist places and I found Bill's comments to be some of the most idiotic, heartless, and absolutely classless words I've read on this board.

And that's saying something.

-Ryan

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

As a US Air Force veteran that saw duty during the Cuban Missile crisis (1962) and the start of Vietnam
I salute all our Troops, past and present.

Also, I salute George W. Bush for protecting us since that tragic day, Sept 11th, 2001....I salute him also
for being an expert Pilot of the F102 Fighter plane. I'm familiar with this Jet aircraft, as there were many of
these planes at Dow AFB in Maine. This fighter plane was the most difficult Jet Fighter to control and master
due to its Delta Wing design and its powerful Jet engines.

The F102 was being phased out in 1969-70 and that is essentially the reason GWB didn't see action in 'Nam.
There were a limited number of AF pilots that could fly this plane and you better believe that GWB would've
gone to Nam, if the F102's were going. By the late '60s the F102 was considered an old aircraft.

That's the REAL story guys....contrary to what CBS and the phony, fake "Dan Rather's" in the media were
trying to shove at us.

KEN C

You beat me to it....but, I'll reprise what you said....it's worth repeating for the benefit of the uninformed.

COUNTRIES.....Elected LEADER's Politics

AUSTRALIA.......CONSERVATIVE

CANADA...........CONSERVATIVE

ENGLAND..........CONSERVATIVE

FRANCE............CONSERVATIVE

GERMANY..........CONSERVATIVE

GREECE............CONSERVATIVE

POLAND............CONSERVATIVE

SPAIN...............LIBERAL........but, he recently told Hugo Chavez (the NEO-COM-mie) of Venezuela to "shut

the hell up" with his incessant anti-American rhetoric.

Do all these people electing Conservative Leaders really "hate" us and our Government ?

I DON'T THINK SO ! ! ! !

Their VOTES speak louder than the the liberal "bull-crap" from ABC, BBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, and NBC.

Semper Fi....LEON....and to all the Veterans and Active Duty members of Net54.

TED Z

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Okay, so maybe Bill is #2 on that list.

-Ryan

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

It's truly a shame, imo, that we can't have one decent thread honoring our servicemen and women without
political agendas....I guess it can't be done? If you don't like America please leave..and make more room for those of us that do. If you like Communism then by all means make the most of your view, and take action, and move to a Communist country. Thank God for America!!!!