NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Default Insane Caramel Prices

Posted By: Josh K.

I know this is nothing new, but these prices seem to be over and above what we've been seeing lately (and yes, I was the underbidder on the chase - though I thought there was no way anyone else was going to bid that high).

E93 Brown GAI 3.5 - $787

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8820176660&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

E93 Chase SGC 50 $639

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8820176561&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

E95 Plank SGC 40 $1058

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8820176512&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

And despite these prices, an e93 McGraw SGC 40 only goes for $232.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I don't know if this is a factor, but that is a very nice E93 Brown and Brown is one of the top 2 or 3 toughest cards in the E93 set in my opinion.
JimB

edited "factory" to "factor"

Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

A trimmed e93 Waddell went for $117 i think... i didn't think it would go for that much.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Since it is the same pose as the T206, it is as close as any of us mere mortals will get to owning that card. I know I was watching those cards closely for just that reason until I fulfilled a long-time desire and bought a CJ Plank instead. That said, the price was quite high, even for a very popular card.

Re: E93 McGraw. You can look at it one of 2 ways: either someone got a heck of a bargain or everyone else is overpaying for all the other caramel cards that have sold lately (I tend to think the former). Coincidentally, I was offering a PSA 1 McGraw at the same time and a buyer refused what I felt was a fair price because of that $232 sale, so I kept the card rather than play lowball to match what I felt was an anomalous sale. A year from now, my price will have been a bargain and I will get 50% more for the card. My point being that when it comes to these cards it doesn't pay to be too cheap about it; time and time again we've seen that an extra $25 doesn't make a whole lot of difference a year or two down the line.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

the e93 brown is a tough tough card in nice condition, from what i remember the last few years less nice browns have been for sale than chance so imo that brown is still a good deal. the chase went to a chase collector who i don't think cares about the set so he was willing to pay a premium for his card. plank is plank, nice pose nice card...almost tempted to go make king an offer on that 70 he has...

Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

That's why it sometimes pays to sit back and watch the battle. Some of the e95, e96 and e93 prices I have seen lately have left me shaking my head. Don't get me wrong, I've spent some good money on some tough E and T cards recently, but there was at least a greater degree of scarcity IMO. But who knows, three years from now, I could be looking at these prices and thinking, "Man, what a fool I was not to buy those cards at those great prices."

That's why as a HOF collector who tries to get tougher types, I'm not as pressed as the set collectors. Having built a few sets and battled for the ones that never seem to come up, I feel for you guys who are chasing the last few, elusive cards of a set.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Quan, you know you have cards I like. Or at least you did...hopefully you didn't sell them all yet. Email me if you want to discuss...I'll be at the National if you'd like to meet up.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

ok, I said it. Caramel cards are still cheap.

When comparing the number of e-cards vs the number of T206 cards, it is staggering how cheap caramel cards are right now. A T206 Brown Protrait in PSA 4 goes for $380 - how many of those exist compared to E93 Brown cards?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

Alright, does everyone want to see the price of caramels drop? I'll tell you how - send me your cards and when I try to sell them they'll get low bids and then the price of caramels would have dropped.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Amen Judge. I shake my head at some of these crazy prices until I try to sell similar cards and don't get anywhere near those prices. Ebay truly is a matter of timing. I also have noticed lately some previously unseen user ids bidding on caramel cards...

Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I've got 520 different T206 cards, but no Plank.

I've got 1 E95 card... can you guess which one?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Pugeda

Question for Tbob, JimB, Quan or any other e93 collector. What is, in your opinion, the toughest (disregarding cost/condition) card to find? What are the next 2 or 3 after that?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Jones, Phillippe, Coveleski are also tough in my opinion. Probably throw McGraw in there too. But, it's not like some sets where the "tough" cards are dramatically tougher than the rest.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

The E95 wouldn't be a Wagner would it.... Ok, so you're shooting Planks with the E95s....

Old 06-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Chance, Donovan, and Clarke seem to be tougher than the rest. I would rate Chance as the toughest in my opinion. According to the PSA pop report, Pastorious is the toughest individual card with only 12 examples graded total. As Colt said, I don't think any are extraordinarily harder than others in the set. There is a complete E93 set on a single uncut sheet so we know that they were produced in equal numbers. But the Chance does seem particularly tough.
JimB

Old 06-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish387t

I was willing to go 1350 for that Plank and won it for 1050. Needed it for my set and I think I got a decent deal. Or maybe I am helping the economy by paying strong? The Plank is a tough card in the e95 set. Similiar to the Cicotte. I wish Mike Ernst didn't jump in there. I would have won it for 800 or so.

The prices seem to keep rising. I guess that is a good thing. King's Plank is real strong. Wonder what it would go for?

Old 06-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Since I began collecting the e93s, Ive seen far fewer of the following cards: Chance, Pastorious and Coveleskie. They were the last three that I had to find before completing my set and are all fairly difficult to find in decent condition.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

A few months ago i baught 3 e93 HOFers in poor shape for $40 each. ( Jennings, Evers and Collins, and a Donovan for $25 BIN on ebay, which had glue on the back, but i was able to get it off. Only has a light surface wrinkle on it. Now i see commons in poor poor shape going for what i payed for HOFers. I wish i had baught those e93s in BIN on ebay for $18 a piece like 6 months ago

Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

is a clear case of buy the card not the plastic as that card has problems and is quite ugly even for the grade.

Jim! The Clark is a tough card comparitively??? I have seen 35 of them easy over the last 20 years for sale including 10 in the last two! Brown,Coveleski and Chance for sure~

Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I agree with Colt. As far as higher ended cards, Pastorius and Clarke are really tough to find in nice shape.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

no card is that tough in the set, you can find most at about the same clip in crappy condition. however past the g/vg range i would consider brown, coveleskie, philippe, jones, and chance to be real tough. the set is weird, some commons are much tougher to find than the cobbs and wagners in nice grade...brown's my favorite in the set.