NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Default Could someone give me some thoughts on this ring and eBay listing?

I know this is kind of an obscure request, but I figure it's worth a shot. I would appreciate any thoughts people can provide.

I live about an hour from Pottsville, Pa., and have always been interested in the 1925 Pottsville Maroons and their disputed NFL championship. Every so often a Pottsville "championship" ring from one of the reunions held in the 1960s will show up at one of the auction houses. Anyway, there is one on eBay right now, along with a letter from star player Tony Latone.

I have no doubt that the letter is real, because I have been able to find the exact same letter in a Worthpoint listing online. I have also been able to find the letter in the seller's feedback history. The fact that the letter appears pretty certain to be genuine makes me think the ring is as well.

But the ring makes me kinda hinky. I realize the market for such a ring is pretty narrow as it is, and it is a very low-end ring as far as "championship" rings go. It seems hard to believe such a ring would be faked. But the opening bid for the ring and the letter is less than half what just the rings alone have sold for at different auction houses in recent years. The stone in the eBay listing also looks a lot more deep red than other listings for Pottsville rings that I have found online.

The seller appears to have excellent feeback, but it makes me somewhat nervous that he has sold a Rolex and high end watches in the past. I know Rolexes and championship rings are commonly faked, but it seems hard to believe a ring like this would be faked. The opening bid amount and the look make me wonder, though. The seller also says he reserves the right to end the listing at any time. I assume that means if there are only a few bids and the price is not what the seller was looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121057682524...=p5197.c0.m619

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-28-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
John Smithwick

Opening bid and final bid are two different animals. Possibly a low opening bid to generate interest, to reflect seller's purchase cost, or a wild guess that's too low. He mentioned an earlier sale for $3000. Was that for a known player's ring? This opening bid may also reflect that the original owner of this ring is unknown. Have you contacted the seller to ask? As for the color of the stone, description said there were at least a couple reunion shows. To me that sounds like two different production runs. That may explain the difference in color.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I thank you for your input. I have not contacted the seller; will definitely do so, though, if I do decide to make a bid. The $3,000 figure the seller referenced was legit, but that was for Tony Latone's personal ring that was inscribed as such. In the past few years, though, even anonymous Maroons rings in auction at Heritage and Huggins and Scott have sold for much more than $400.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-29-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Quote:
it makes me somewhat nervous that he has sold a Rolex and high end watches in the past.
Sadly, I am probably the only hard-core ring collector at net54. Many of my rings have come from Jewelry stores or pawn shops. so the fact that he has sold watches should not be an issue.

The ring has no markings on the inside. if i was buying a superbowl ring, I would not want a ring without manufacturer markings unless I was positive the ring was real. Knowing a ring is real without markings is challenging.

I don't recall if the original rings were solid gold but this one isn't. Since it's not made of gold, it's worth very little money and I have no idea if it is authentic. Experience has taught me that just because someone paid 2,000 at auction a year or two ago, does not mean the ring will sell for that amount again. For a few hundred dollars, if you are a collector and want the ring, it is not a lot of money to acquire the ring, if it will bring joy to you and your collection.

Regarding fakes, rings can be made very cheaply. Just search ebay for superbowl rings, and sort by cheapest first. You will see great looking rings for under $200 and some for under $100.00.

I guess years ago, the team came together and ordered rings from a local manufacturer? This is a far different situation than say a real-issued NFL championship ring from the 40's or 50's.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Thank you for the post, Sports-rings. Your post was very informative. Like I wrote, I have always been interested in the 1925 Pottsville Maroons because of where I live, but it's seems kinda telling IMO that there are still no bids on the listing. I actually had previously checked out the various replica Super Bowl rings on eBay for comparison and saw there are all kinds of sub $100 rings on the site.

The ring is a cool item for someone living in this area, but I have decided to pass on the listing at that price. Thanks to each of you for giving your thoughts.

From what I understand, the rings were created in the early 1960s by a local jeweler named Russ Zacko. Zacko's father, Joseph, owned the sporting goods store that outfitted the team with jerseys in the 1920s.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-29-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 AM
J0n Fu.ld

The lack of any stamping is frustrating.
However, if the ring were resized, it may have lost it's stamping.
Also, and perhaps more likely, this was an internal sample at the small Zacko jeweler, or one made for the jeweler's father Joe Zacko.
I have not seen this ring copied, doesn't mean it has not occurred of course.
I see that rings were composed of different materials for different team members and reunion years. This makes sense as the guys were footing whatever bill they could afford - some gold, some sterling, some metal. And when they could afford it. Some members bought rings at earlier reunions, some later.
It is interesting that this ring is married to a letter from Latone to Joe Zacko, the jeweler's father.
And I reviewed the Worthpoint listing, which states, as noted above, that Joe Zacko was the jersey supplier for the team, and the son, was the jeweler who supplied rings to the team in the 1960s. And that this ring came from the Zacko family.
I believe this ring is authentic. And may be considered a salesman sample. Or given the association of the father to the team as jersey/equipment supplier and important booster, perhaps the son made this ring for his father, and it may be considered a team/staff ring.
As noted above, value is tough to determine as not a league issued ring, not made of valuable material, no player inscription/provenance, and no stamping.
But I do think, given the totality of the evidence, that the ring is authentic.

Last edited by BigJJ; 01-30-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Here it is I think. Russ Zacko, the jeweler, then age 80, donated a championship ring he had to a local charity auction in 2000:
http://www.reocities.com/pottsvillem...zackosays.html
Someone at the organization may have the original auction listing.

Last edited by BigJJ; 01-30-2013 at 04:56 AM.