NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Mike

Dan...So did I do OK for $15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
yes, soak in tap water over night, damp dry and then roll the creases out. Put in between a paper towel or cloth and let dry completely

You will never know it was wet

dan

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 07-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Default V61's?

Soooo... I searched for a thread on soaking V61's and came across this. No one seemed to really answer back in 2012 whether they had successfully soaked a V61 with the glossy front, so I thought I'd bring it up again. Any success? What did you do (how long, etc.)?
Recent transactions with: Leon, LukeLyon, wilkiebaby11, KC Doughboy, robbessette, JollyElm, jimmivintage, benderbroeth, JManos, Haybag, Northviewcats, Sean1125, Clydepepper, hangman62, simas7173, pencil1974, Nappy1525, T206Collector, h2oya311, 25801wv, sycks22, tolstoi, sebie43, JasonD08, Brian Van Horn, bcbgcbrcb, Lordstan, Frankbmd, jasonc, markf31, mybuddyinc, kailes2872, mintacular, campyfan39, Cat, Jcfowler6, sam9795, chaddurbin, 39special, vtgmsc, jdl7860, 4815162342, 71buc, Lgarza99, etc.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Default Not the best soaker

Didn't see this thread when it was originally posted...thanks for the repost Gherigfan). Several years ago I won a scrapbook lot with V61 cards. I have soaked cards in the past, with a range of results from 'fantastic, sure glad I did it' to 'oh my, what have I done!' The V61 cards fell into the what have I done category. They were definitely my worst soaking experience. The glue used on my cards was especially resistant, the back scrapbook paper was not coming off easily, so I tried a variety of options, including warmer and hot water, and longer soak times. Both the longer and hotter water completely destroyed the glossy fronts on the card, some washing out and others hazing over until the player's images were barely discernable.

So if anyone does try to soak a glossy card like the V61, beware...even a short soak might cause front issues, and I would strongly advise against a longer soak.

Brian
Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM

I've only soaked (2) strip cards myself, with not the best results, so it souncs like I better just enjoy my glue-backed V61!
Recent transactions with: Leon, LukeLyon, wilkiebaby11, KC Doughboy, robbessette, JollyElm, jimmivintage, benderbroeth, JManos, Haybag, Northviewcats, Sean1125, Clydepepper, hangman62, simas7173, pencil1974, Nappy1525, T206Collector, h2oya311, 25801wv, sycks22, tolstoi, sebie43, JasonD08, Brian Van Horn, bcbgcbrcb, Lordstan, Frankbmd, jasonc, markf31, mybuddyinc, kailes2872, mintacular, campyfan39, Cat, Jcfowler6, sam9795, chaddurbin, 39special, vtgmsc, jdl7860, 4815162342, 71buc, Lgarza99, etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Bringing this back from the dead with a question.

Can you soak 1950's or 60's topps cards?

Also.... I have a jackie robinson that would grade a 7 but has ink on the back. I need it for my collection.

Is there a way to remove ink? HELP. Not looking to do anything shady, just want it for myself.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 PM
Nick Mich@lovitz

Can you soak cards to remove dirt/stains? I've never tried it but I do have a 1958 Topps Jim Brown that I've considered trying this method on to clean the card up. I've had the card for 20 years but, she'd look amazing with the dirt staining gone. I will have to post a picture of the card.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Aaron

In light of recent events, I would be surprised if anyone offered up any tips. I don't know how to do any of this and wouldn't want to even attempt it.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 AM
Matthew Glidden

Soaking works best with one goal in mind: you have a card with water-soluble glue, paper, or gunk stuck to it that you want to remove for legibility or simple presentation (almost certainly not grading) reasons. Beyond that, you get into deep water (so to speak) over market value, etc., and a bunch of people have varied feelings about that.

When I've soaked cards ('30s-70s on typical card stock), it was apparent under an hour whether the glue/gunk was really water-soluble, because it would separate from the card on its own or somewhat easily peel away with a little pressure. But: go into it the soak knowing that, in many cases, removing glue will also take some card paper with it! I've soaked 50+ cards with questionable adhesive and had the glue come off "clean" maybe 5 times, turning a "1" into a "3." The rest of the time, you end up with a 2, or just a damp 1.

Once you've spent as much time as you want on the glue/gunk, you need to dry the card under pressure to avoid wrinkles. Put it in a thin, adsorbent cloth or paper towel and press between heavy books over a few days is what I usually do, checking a couple times per day for dryness. If you leave any dampness in the card when you take it out of the pressure, you can expect wrinkling when it dries further.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.