NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default 1800's Sweater on SCP last night

Anyone win this? Seemed like a very good deal for a tough item. I've been looking for a 1910's sweater like the baseball players wore, so this caught my eye:

1890s Athletic Sweater

Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Dan Brown

Almost looks brand new...even the tag!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Baseball warm-up sweater - early 1900s

I am trying to sell a vintage baseball sweater my grandfather had given me years ago. There is no insignia, but he acquired it in 1903-1905+/-. I can't upload the photographs because the files are too large for the forum. I have absolutely no idea of the value or how to go about selling it. I had contacted the Baseball Hall of Fame and other memorabilia experts, but because it is so rare, they haven't been able to help me yet. It is olive with a black lapel and wrists. The label says "Major League". Any ideas??
Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Joe M.

You should be able to take pictures with one of the new Digital
cameras and upload the pictures.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-13-2012, 03:32 PM

We took them with a digital camera, but they are just slightly too large to attach. I'll keep trying... Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipshaw View Post
We took them with a digital camera, but they are just slightly too large to attach. I'll keep trying... Thanks!!
You can always upload to imgur.com if you can't figure out how to compress it more
Old 07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipshaw View Post
If you want to you can Send them to me at leonl@flash.net and I will resize and upload them for you....best regards

ps...sorry, Scott, nice sweater but no idea who won it.

Last edited by Leon; 07-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

ps...sorry, Scott, nice sweater but no idea who won it.
Funny, I opened this thread and read the first post without realizing it was mine from last year . I thought, "Great, someone else is looking for the exact thing I'm trying to find."

BTW, I picked one up from around 1920 - the style hadn't changed much. Mine is kind of small, yellow and maroon, and belonged to Ray Morehart ('27 Yankees) while he was in college.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Default About par

I would think $1253.00 is about par for that sweater…Good looking for sure but you couldn’t get much more generic.…A.C. as the only inscription seems a little odd…Athletic Clubs all had names so why isn’t the club’s name on the sweater…If the club name was on it that would add a lot…The black and white colors certainly aren’t inspiring….not like maroon or navy….The positive is the weave has a great old look…

The number one aspect going for it is the turtle neck. It’s not written in stone but my general observation is turtle necks seem to have been used earlier rather than later…based on the team photos I’ve seen. For instance if you look at the Yale football team photos you’ll notice the earlier teams from the 1880’s wore them…then they start to disappear around the 90’s if I recall…later you start seeing crew necks and v-necks….which leads me to believe this sweater may date earlier than most sports sweaters you see…I’m reminded of a very cool New York University sweater I saw at the May 2011 Brimfield Antiques Fair..Not as early as this A.C. Turtleneck but had it going on for looks…and was only $375.00…You can read the play by play of how I lost out on it in a story I did on the fair in the third paragraph of this link

Photobucket
Vintage sweater found at May Brimfield Antiques Fair

Although this A.C. sweater isn’t inscribed with the team name the neck tag inside is marked A.N. Stimms or Stimmer or something with Maryland underneath…so at least we know where it’s from. I’m reminded of a huge wooden sign I saw, again at the May 2011 Brimfield fair…It was a very “different” sign that apparently was from the same Maryland/Virginia region as this sweater, from the years 1900-1901…A mister “Wistar M. Heald” is indicated as “Pres. Ath. Assocn.”…so we know the team was made up from an Athletic Club like this sweater was…but no A.N. Stimms or Stimmer is listed…more on the sign in this link

Photobucket
c1900 Unusual Athletic Club football team sign

Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Default Sweater

I recall researching the AC sweater in the past, and believing it was a University of Maryland football sweater - the AC standing for Agricultural College. This makes a bit more sense just having AC on there, because Carlton's point is a good one - Athletic Clubs would likely at least have CAC or DAC or whatever, with Canton AC or Downtown AC, rather than just AC. But Agricultural Colleges would be more likely to use the AC moniker - referring to themselves as Aggies often.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sweater

Sweater from Douglas. Sorry it took so long....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweater1c.jpg (53.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Sweater2b.jpg (79.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Sweater3b.jpg (76.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Sweater4B.jpg (66.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg SWEATER5B.jpg (77.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

I like. How big? How much?