NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 AM

Default OT: "May We Never Forget... September 11th ~ 12 years Ago"

imho... This Day Should be a National Holiday!
Although this was a massive tragedy, May we Never Forget who we are & where we came from, oR we might not ever get to where we really need to be as individuals, who make uP this Great Nation of Our's.

Please take a moment & reflect on what this Day now stands for
& those who Gave ALL... On this Day, a bunch of Americans Re~kindled
Patriotism for Many of uS!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
nels0n aud.et

i am not in US, but canadian people will always remember this day.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Mike

This day always brings me back to reality. Watch few minutes of the reading of the names and it touches your heart to see how important friends and family are in this crazy world. God Bless to all the family and friends who knew or lost someone on the tragic day. Good time to reflect.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 09-11-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I was in the city when it happened, and it is a day I will NEVER forget!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Al Richter

Default Today

Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

I went to Manhattan September 2012 and I still remember talking to a police officer when I was at ground zero. The officer had been there on 9/11 and as he was explaining to me what he saw I could tell it took alot for him not to start crying. He was very emotional about it and it was a emotional experience to be there even a year later. I also got a chance to visit the 9/11 exhibit which displayed letters, missing person posters, and alot of items from the wreckage. Downstairs you could listen to stories from actual survivors and what they went through. I will NEVER forget
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
It is officially Patriot Day. Although not a distinct "holiday" it is an official day of remembrance which I feel is more fitting than a holiday.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Barry Arnold

Default 9/11

a day that I will never forget. There are no words... .
Barry
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM
FredYoung

May we all take a moment to remember & reflect in our own personal way.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Bill Gregory

I didn't know anybody that was lost on September 11th. But one of my colleagues had transferred to our company only six months before that fateful day. Prior to that he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald at One World Trade Center in lower Manhattan. He lost a lot of friends in the attacks, and the last time I talked to him was right before the anniversary. Eight years later, the pain was still visible on his face when talking about it.

I agree with IrishDenny that today should be a national day of remembrance. God bless those we lost. We will never forget.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM
John Mavroudis

Here's a piece I submitted for the New Yorker... they didn't use this version, but they bought the idea and had Owen Smith do the final version... It was for the 5th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and references Philippe Petit's walk across the towers.

Here's the actual cover that ran. It was in two pages. The actual cover all white (with the logo) and just inside it reveals the city and the tower footprints)...

www.zenpop.com
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Some reflections of Sept 11, 2001

Many of us oldtimers in this hobby remember Gerry Glasser very well. Gerry was one of the finest gentleman in this hobby. Gerry
and I spent many hours talking BB cards. Especially, regarding 1930's - 1940's Diamond Stars, Goudey's, Play Ball's, etc. at the
Willow Grove and Ft Washington Shows.

Gerry recently passed away. Gerry lost his son Thomas when the Towers went down that clear Tuesday morning 12 years ago.

I cannot think of a more tragic experience that a human being can suffer in their life than losing a son or daughter.

That Tuesday morning my older daughter, Debbie, and her neighbor were watching the events unfold in New York on TV. When
the Towers started falling, Debbie's neighbor realized that she would never see her husband, and the father of her two children,
ever again.

May GOD BLESS the souls of all those who departed that day in New York City, in Washington, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

We must be ever vigilant....in order that such a tragedy never, never occurs again.

TED Z
Old 09-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
Although this was a massive tragedy, May we Never Forget who we are & where we came from, oR we might not ever get to where we really need to be as individuals, who make uP this Great Nation of Our's.

Please take a moment & reflect on what this Day now stands for
& those who Gave ALL... On this Day, a bunch of Americans Re~kindled
Patriotism for Many of uS!!!
I totally Agree, should be a National Holiday

I knew a few people who lost family. My best friends girl friend (he was on the phone with her at the time) and a good friends dad.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 09-11-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Al Richter

Default 9-11

Very nice post Ted
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
John Mavroudis

Completely agree, Ted.

That tragedy touched so many lives in every part of society.
Thanks so much for posting.

www.zenpop.com
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Default 9/11

Agree Ted. I did not know Gerry, but all the events were brought back clearly today when I was flying near DC and both the White House & Pentagon were visible from different sides of the plane.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Christopher Williams

We must never forget 9/11.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

9/11 seat assignments. E-16 survived. Crew of TL-7 MIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Bill Gregory

Steve,

Firefighters are the very best people there are. I have known a few, and they are just made differently than the rest of us. They have a strength I could never know. So many of them lost their lives on September 11th. They knew the risks, and yet they went in anyway when every instinct in their body was telling them to run the other direction. They are heroes, every single one of them, and I literally cried when I heard how many of these wonderful people we lost.

There is a national holiday to remember those that have fought and died for our country. I am of the opinion that there should also be a day to remember the firemen and police officers that have died in the line of duty. It is the very least we can do for them.

Edit: of the 2,977 people that died on 9/11, 412 were emergency responders. 341 members of the FDNY and 2 paramedics, 37 police officers from the New York port authority and New Jersey police department, 23 officers from the NYPD, and 8 EMS paramedics and technicians. 412 heroes.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 9-11

I'm still amazed by these events. Amazed that more people weren't killed. Amazed that someone thought they were doing the right thing by flying planes into the towers. Amazed that the towers collapsed. And especially amazed at the bravery of the firefighters that had the courage to go up 70 or more stories into burning buildings. Can you imagine walking down the street with all of your gear and looking up at the fires raging in the top floors and thinking to yourself -"I'm going to go up there and see if I can put the fires out and help people get away".? Amazing courage.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Flight 93....Shanksville, Pennsylvania

Let us not forget the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 who prevented that United Airlines jet from striking its intended target.

Consider this....their ultimate act of bravery was our 1st Strike against the terrorists we have been fighting to defeat these 12 years.

TED Z
Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

To build on what Ted Z said, Mark Bingham is supposedly one of the people who helped bring down Flight 93. He was the president of my fraternity at University of California, Berkeley in the early 90's and everything I've heard about him from other members is that he was a selfless person who brought positive energy wherever he went. This website has a bunch of great stories about the man and the hero.

http://www.markbingham.com/
Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Rich Klein

Default This was a column I wrote about 9/11

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...world-changed/

Rich