NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Robert Williams

Default Here is a note of what NOT TO DO to the Net54 forum....

Visited the PSA site just for shits and giggles today. Their new format is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!! I never understood why people need to tinker with something that was never broken in the first place. Leon, I hope you never change the way the forum looks. At least nothing that obscenely drastic!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 10-18-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Dave Foster

+1 and likely thousands more. Three monkeys in the zoo could have come up with a better "new and improved" site.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 AM
edward broeth

ugh and when this happens i have to try to remember my password, and i have no clue what it is lol

looking for 1952 topps high series commons
Old 10-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default CU

I noticed that today. I had to log in and the new format is kind of a PITA. Plus the light font for the thread titles is difficult to read.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Default CU

Ugly format. And of course the password/log-in information to look-up.
Scrolling thru which thread i have or not have read already.
Then the page numbers at the botton, just left with arrows to the next page.
The colors just takes it back 20 years or more it seems. Defintly too blue-ish.

As noted on the CU thread- it was limited to 50 pms, then changed to 10,000 then to 50,000 pms.
https://forums.collectors.com/messag...&enterthread=y
Quote:
Over the last few months, Collectors Universe has been diligently working on updating the forum software behind the scenes in the hopes of transferring over to a newer version before the end of the year.

With all this work now finished, it’s now our pleasure to say that this new and improved version will launch on Saturday, October 17. The process will take several hours, so please be advised that the forums will be down between 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. PST.

The site will look a little different and may take some getting used to at first, but in general, the features available now will still be available in the new version. In addition, all of your current account info and post history (including PMs) will be transferred over to the new software. Essentially, everything is just being moved over to the new layout.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 10-18-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I noticed that today. I had to log in and the new format is kind of a PITA. Plus the light font for the thread titles is difficult to read.

Rick
You can change the theme/colors.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:00 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

I'm pretty new to the PSA site but am I the only one that finds making a digital set extremely difficult?

I've added the Cert #s to a few cards and 22 of the cards I added today are currently "Unassigned Items"

I had started previously a long time ago but then stopped.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 10-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Bill Gregory

You hit the nail on the head, Robert. I've developed websites for people before. Often, clients wanted to completely change their site when it was absolutely unnecessary. I understand wanting to update a site's appearance, and try out some of the new bells and whistles popping up on the web. Depending on your product, and your target audience, you may want to keep at the cutting edge, and updated HTML etc can offer that. Dynamic content can really impress if it's presented properly. But sometimes that's easily accomplished with just changing the style sheet (updating the color scheme, different typography, some changed imagery, etc). But I can't tell you how many times I've talked to people who wanted to redo the whole thing from the ground floor up. Bad idea. If you've had your site a while, that means people are used to the structure that comes with it. Change everything dramatically, and you make the viewing experience less enjoyable for the client, not more. I haven't looked at PSA's site since the change, but I already have a vague idea what to expect.

There are good principles of design that apply to art, and to a website, too. I have found that efficient management of space is chief among them in web design. There needs to be white space, or the eye will get tired out, and the customer will feel overwhelmed. Good structure, where everything make for a smooth experience, and keep a potential client coming back to at least look at what you have to offer.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:26 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that I could do that.

A few minutes ago I tried all of the various color combos, but the pale font doesn't change, just the background. I couldn't find a color that was vivid enough to be able to read it easily. I wish I could get it to look like the Net54 site, which is easy to read.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

meh, CU was always the crappier of the bigger forums
Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Steven Finley

I thought the same when I visited CU last night. Looks horrible, but then again people are not usually accepting of change. I can remember when we transferred here for the old actual net54, as awesome at it is I wasn't too keen on the new site at first. If the following is improved at CU I'll be fine:

A. Searching the old threads was a joke.
B. Days and sometimes weeks would pass before I realized I had multiple PMs. No pop-ups. No alerts. Just a small little number in the top corner that let you know how many new messages you had. If I wasn't expecting contact that number might as well have been hidden in Siberia because I wouldn't see it.

Speaking of Siberia, does anyone know if Stalin's secret police will continue to moderate the new forum?

Last edited by sbfinley; 10-19-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Don

Agreed. The new site is a step back.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Chris, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that I could do that.

A few minutes ago I tried all of the various color combos, but the pale font doesn't change, just the background. I couldn't find a color that was vivid enough to be able to read it easily. I wish I could get it to look like the Net54 site, which is easy to read.

Rick
Hey, I didn't say any of the options were actually good
Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Robert Williams

It looks like shit. Don't know how else to put it. This forum absolutely blows that one away.