NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Thanks for all the Heads-up messages I've been getting

I've heard from quite a few, including Derek, Buddy and Adam, about the Cy Young portrait on eBay right now with Howe's stamp. I really do appreciate the heads up messages and hope you guys will help me keep a look out in the future for more of Howe's cards.

This one I'm going to have to let go by. At the present time, I can't make the seller a decent offer for the card, and I've contacted him via eBay to see if he might pass on a message to the eventual winner of the lot and let them know I'd at least be interested in knowing where the card ends up so in case in the future I find myself in a place to bring it back with the rest, I have a place to start.

Brian at REA (Hi, Brian) was kind enough to let me know that none of the cards with the MK qualifier in the current auction have Howe's stamp and I appreciate that also.

This Cy will join the 33 others that I know exist, but I haven't had the opportunity to regroup with the others. Hopefully, he will be on the shorter sub-list of 11 that I know the current owner of, and not the longer list of 22 that I have no idea where they are now.

Again, thanks to everyone on the board for their help in my strange quest.

Ed
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

LOL, I like how the seller made a point to market the angle that you collect these cards and point to this forum as a selling feature. However can’t reach a deal with the very person he references from this site classic!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Glad I could give you a couple leads......man that's a bummer he won't close a deal with you! I'll keep an eye out for more
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Ed McCollum

Default John, this is actually the second time this has happened

Right after the t206 centennial issue of SGC magazine came out, a seller on eBay actually put my name in the listing twice as being a collector of nothing by Howe McCormick cards when he listed one among a group of six cards in a lot.

Before he had any bids, I contacted him and asked him to sell me just the one card and he refused. Said that by using the reference to the article in the magazine, and drawing attention to my collection, it would be worth more money to him to sell as a group rather than sell me the one. After that, I didn't even bid on the lot.

Four years later, the same card showed up on eBay again (I save scans of the cards I miss, just so I can try and identify them later as new or the same ones). Picked it up for less than half what I had offered the original seller in the first place.

Sometimes, sharing what you know doesn't turn out to be the best. But in the long run, things work out.

Again, thanks to everyone who has helped in this reassembling.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Paul

It's important to be able to draw lines on some of this stuff. When people find out I collect signed T206 cards, it usually helps me find new ones; but, sometimes the new ones come with a steep price tag because they believe I'll pay anything for one. You have to be prepared to walk away, even if it means that you can't add to the collection. You just have to understand that you can't just have all of them.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
Hopefully, he will be on the shorter sub-list of 11 that I know the current owner of, and not the longer list of 22 that I have no idea where they are now.
Ed, I was unable to find it on ebay. If you give a link, or more clues, it's more likely that a Net54 member who you know will end up with it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Haven't been on the board since my last post

Scott, here is a link to the card that WAS up for bids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121313235926...84.m1423.l2649

It looks like it ended sometime yesterday. I have the scans, I know the basic value, and for now, I'll add it to the list of 22.

To your point, Paul, I consider myself very lucky that over the past eight years, 287 of these have made themselves known, and there are now only 23 that I don't know their whereabouts. Even luckier to have 254 of them regrouped. That wouldn't have happened if not for the help of a lot of folks on this board, yourself included, who have helped me with this project.

Again, thanks to everyone who lets me know when they see one. Even if they are ones I don't get, it is nice to add them to the data base and see what kind of collection this kid had at one time.

Again, thanks to everyone. Ed
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Doug Goodman

Any seller of these cards who won't sell them to you for a fair price (at most) is simply an asshole.

Doug "here's my full name because I'm calling people assholes" Goodman
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Looks like the card sold via Best Offer for $700.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Ed McCollum

Default The purchaser of the card has contacted me

and we have worked out a schedule to get the card back with the rest of the others I've been able to assemble. This very kind gesture by a board member is greatly appreciated, and is just another example of how great everyone on this board is. Thanks to everyone for their help in my project.

Ed
Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Jon L

That's great. I'm happy for you.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Al

That's great, Ed.

I wonder how many others saw this thread and immediately rushed over to eBay to do the same thing. I suspect more than a few. This board is great that way.

-Al
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Archive

Hi Ed

I'm happy this was able to work out for you. That Young is a nice looking card!

As always, I'll keep an eye out for more Howes too.

Jantz