NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Steven H.

Default Old Judge Error Card? and their Premiums

Since I recently joined the ranks of the Old Judge collectors, I'm always learning or trying to learn something new about the cards. Scouring the auctions and talking with the collectors I've been able to grow my Ohio subset to 10 in a pretty short period of time. Every once in a while I come across a card I question if its really worth the asking price or is it real. That occurred today on a Wild Bill Weidner listed on eBay. The BIN price seemed steep so I took to VCP to get some information. This is where I came across a Wild Bill with his name listed as "Eidner." Looking back at the auction I realized this is a known error card (and I read the description that told me the same. I was on my phone and only looking at the images and title.) There was no value for the "Eidner," but Weidner examples of the same grade are approximately 1/3rd the BIN price.

Thinking about this card and the McGreachery being auctioned by REA what decides the premiums on error cards like this? I understand the market has a big role in setting prices, but on cards that rarely come to market how do you decide what is a good investment price? Would a 3x increase of the non-error be reasonable?
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

There are many spelling errors in the Old Judge set..I think price is a function of rarity of that particular card and the player it pictures. The McGreachery in REA is pricey because of two things. It is Deacon White (a popular player and now HOFer) and there have only been two found. Not sure about your card, maybe Jay or Joe can chime in here about the rarity of this particular card.

Joshua
Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Steve--there are really three types of errors in the Old Judge set. The first, and least interesting, are spelling errors in names. These happen a lot and usually don't carry much of a premium. For HOFers they carry a little more of a premium since more people collect variations of these. Probably the most interesting and valuable errors are misidentifications. The most common are the switching of names on certain Macullar and Maskrey poses. These only carry a moderate price premium. Others carry more of a premium ("Jim" Keefe cards, a hybrid between spelling error, and misidentification are very desirable cards). The McGreachery error is a misidentification (might have been intentional, might have been accidental) on a HOFer and is a portrait, and a very rare card (only two copies known). This card could easily be a six figure card and is probably the second or third most valuable HOF pose, after Anson in Uniform and Wright pose three. Falling between name spelling errors and misidentifications are wrong teams. These are interesting and can command relatively strong prices.

Last edited by oldjudge; 04-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Steven H.

Thanks for the response. This will help greatly as I continue with my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Rob G.

Here is the first type of common error that Jay speaks of ... Farrer vs Farrar
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153-3_Farrar_(739).jpg (56.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 153-3_Farrar_(2520).jpg (42.4 KB, 198 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Jay M. - great explanation. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.....
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Not sure how I missed this thread . . .

I agree with Jay and others. Very few collectors focus on error cards, the buyers are typically advanced set or team collectors who have expanded scope to include some of the correct and errant variations. The more significant mis-spellings garner a bit more interest, particularly those that rarely show up. Sometimes the mis-spelling is co-incident with a tough pose or team change variation and the card then certainly commands a healthy premium but its the rare pose or team change driving the value more so than the misspelling.

With McGreachery, its my belief that much of the value isn't so much due to the name on the card, but instead the subject matter (Deacon White) and the pose rarity. Deacon White's portrait is among the toughest poses in the OJ set and would command a significant premium regardless of whether the card named him as McGreachery or White.

I think the card's value would edge out Wright's rare portrait since Deacon has but one portrait pose, Wright has three different portraits, one being nearly identical to his rarest pose. Generally speaking, White is also more difficult subject matter than Wright (tougher to find one of Deacon's 9 poses than one of Wrights 3). Add on any potential bonus for the McGreachery mystery and I think it rises to the second most valuable card in the set (behind Anson in Uniform).

But your run-of-the-mill mis-spellings such as Shindle/Shindel, Weidner/Eidner, Swartwood/Schwartwood, etc. etc. command little if any premium. Even the comedic examples such as Genins/Genius command little premium because it is so common (supply and demand). That stated, I'm willing to pay a premium for any Detroit errors
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 04-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Mike

Have we finally decided that the "McCreachery" as listed in the OJ Book, is in fact "McGreachery" with a "G" instead of a "C". I'm confused. Is the book right or wrong ? Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Fred

There are a couple "cool" misspellings, one for example shows THOMAS POORMAN as "THOMAS POOR MAN" (instaead of THOMAS POORMAN).
Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Have we finally decided that the "McCreachery" as listed in the OJ Book, is in fact "McGreachery" with a "G" instead of a "C". I'm confused. Is the book right or wrong ? Thanks
Hello Mike,

It is McGreachery, the OJ book is wrong. The original post that explored the spelling and interpretation eventually circled back and corrected the spelling. See post #105.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers