NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default Warning from eBay:

I received an email from eBay today pointing out that I recently sent another eBay user my email through their messaging system. They told me not to do it again and did not take any actions against me. Now here is my question: do they actually SPY on their users or did the guy I sent my email to report me? The thing is, we were considering doing a TRADE (it's not as if we can trade through eBay), but it didn't go through. Did he get ticked off because I changed my mind and report me? Now this guy is a really big seller and he was the one who first asked me for my contact information. If eBay was spying on that conversation, then he should have gotten a warning from them too, right? If he did not receive anything from them, then does that mean he reported me? What do you guys think? What are your experiences?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

They are not spying however they have pretty sophisticated systems to look for the exchange of contact information or making attempts to sell outside their site. As for trading, ebay sees that as a sale outside of the site.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Chris

He didn't report you. You likely just triggered some of their search terms.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I'm not a computer expert, but eBay probably runs some sort of "script" (if I'm using that term correctly) that checks for the @ symbol. I bet if you spelled it out like "John.Doe at gmail dot com", you wouldn't have been flagged.

Last edited by VoodooChild; 07-11-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Bruce Mattioli

They "Spy" and corresponding outside of EBay is a big no no to them..
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
I'm not a computer expert, but eBay probably runs some sort of "script" (if I'm using that term correctly) that checks for the @ symbol. I bet if you spelled it out like "John.Doe at gmail dot com", you wouldn't have been flagged.
I have tried a few different options and E-Bay has caught them all.

When I PM/message an E-Bay member and receive their reply e-mail, replying info in that seems much easier.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

No problem though if you want to retract 100 bids.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I got a weird email from eBay today. It was warning me that a particular auction was ending which I had looked at. Nothing more. It was for a altered reprint that I had no interest in. They're definately spying on their users.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
I got a weird email from eBay today. It was warning me that a particular auction was ending which I had looked at. Nothing more. It was for a altered reprint that I had no interest in. They're definately spying on their users.
In the last couple of weeks I have received countless emails from them about auctions I have looked at, my OWN auctions LOL, and others I am sure I haven't.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

sometimes you bite the 'bay, sometimes the 'bay bites you
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
They "Spy" and corresponding outside of EBay is a big no no to them..
^^This^^ They will suspend your account for doing deals outside eBay. They will now also send you messages asking you to do deals outside of eBay to try and entrap and suspend you.

I have got away with doing trades on eBay through messaging with no problem as long as eBay gets their cut. How I do/done it is to tell the other person to list their card on eBay and they buy my card and I buy theirs.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

After one sale, Pay Pal gives you a buyer's contact info. There you go.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

I still see many sellers with their phone number right in their listings, by the way.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Why don't you tell the seller just to come here and create an account. I'm sure Leon would like that very much :-)

I'm sure you can write "Net54" in an email and it not get flagged.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
I've done this a few times with no problem.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Lonnie Nagel

You were tagged by they their increasingly sophisticated auto bots. Nothing to do with the guy on other end.

So yea - it appears the easy thing to do is include phone number in listing - Who Knew?

BTW - I have in the past, been able to send contact info via messaging system in the form of pic (JPEG, GIF, etc)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I have about sixty business cards for seller with whom I have dealt. Most of them contain non-EBAY contact details.

Once again, the low-tech approach has it's day.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Al Richter

Many sellers have their own web sites with contact info.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Dave

Yup, as everybody else says, the bots pick it up.

It's getting harder and harder to even send legitimate messages through Ebay without getting a warning.

Just somebody asking a general question about an item you have up for auction, and you have to be careful not to reference your website, any other sites that might have information for them on that item, your contact info, anybody else's contact info that might help them corroborate information.

If it's somebody I've done business with before, I usually just look for a Paypal e-mail address on file to respond to them properly.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 AM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No problem though if you want to retract 100 bids.
This. E-bay has far more to lose in a legal tussle over e-mails in your messages. It's already clear they are violating contract law with respect to retractions. The minute they come after a seller for a minor offense, the counter suit for allowing someone to bid and then retract would be far more harmful to them.

I would not be intimidated at all by dumb and dumber lawyers over at e-bay.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Bob Davies

Picking up email addresses, as well as certain keywords (such as "dot", "period", "at") is relatively simple to do. Plus these types of procedures will be improved by developers all the time. However, they would be susceptible to automatically and incorrectly picking up messages with no intent at bypassing eBay. However, rest assured that anything flagged will not be sent on to the intended recipient.

I read an article years ago from an ex eBay developer, who was there at the beginning. Like many ill-informed companies, eBay (according to the article) decided to go offshore for system development and support. His take at the time (so far a little unfounded) is that the infrastructure of the entire application is so old that eventually it will crater. In the industry, "held together with duct tape and binder twine" is sometimes the explanation. They have apparently built new code on top of old code, and at some time it will crater. Think of it like a car... you can only fix the old one up for so long before you need a completely new car (system).

For me, weird things do sometimes happen... bids that don't go through, my Watch list disappearing, etc. But overall, their system still seems to have held up so far.

Full disclosure:
I have never worked for eBay or written or deployed auction house software.
I am a computer scientist and Solutions Architect, specializing in systems and database development, implementations, and integration.

Regards...
Bob
Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
I believe they also check for phone numbers in messages through their automated system.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
This. E-bay has far more to lose in a legal tussle over e-mails in your messages. It's already clear they are violating contract law with respect to retractions. The minute they come after a seller for a minor offense, the counter suit for allowing someone to bid and then retract would be far more harmful to them.

I would not be intimidated at all by dumb and dumber lawyers over at e-bay.
Actually they are following the UCC to a "T." The UCC states unequivocally that a bid is NOT a contract until the item has been called sold and may be retracted at any time until the item is called sold.

Also it is not possible to sign away your UCC rights, so if you accept someone's bid you HAVE to accept their retraction regardless of what you say your policy is, even if the bidder has agreed to your policy!

However there is nothing saying that you have to continue accepting bids from someone who has retracted bids in the past.

I know this won't be a popular post but I am 100% confident on my knowledge of the law on this issue since it was beaten into me in class very recently You can search elsewhere on this site for a discussion between myself and a lawyer/member on this very issue. I think it was an interesting discussion, and germane to the interests of a lot of the users here.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Now that the Ebates 5% back promo is over, I've been making my purchases through Beckett Marketplace...and I say, (at least for now) **** you, Ebay!

I'd rather just give up that final 1%, than work with them.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

If you REALLY need to send your email address in an Ebay message to someone, create an image of it and send that instead.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
If you REALLY need to send your email address in an Ebay message to someone, create an image of it and send that instead.
And now you just completely ruined that avenue for all of us who already use it. Ebay will immediately start reconfiguring their bots to 'catch' us.

Thanks.

Edited to add: This was supposed to be taken somewhat humorously. They were probably on to us already.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-12-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I like when i make a token bid on a high grade Mantle 1952 Topps just so keep tabs to see how much they go for and ebay emails me and says 'you just missed this one' (card sells for 175k) yeah i missed by about 174k
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Actually they are following the UCC to a "T." The UCC states unequivocally that a bid is NOT a contract until the item has been called sold and may be retracted at any time until the item is called sold.

Also it is not possible to sign away your UCC rights, so if you accept someone's bid you HAVE to accept their retraction regardless of what you say your policy is, even if the bidder has agreed to your policy!

However there is nothing saying that you have to continue accepting bids from someone who has retracted bids in the past.

I know this won't be a popular post but I am 100% confident on my knowledge of the law on this issue since it was beaten into me in class very recently You can search elsewhere on this site for a discussion between myself and a lawyer/member on this very issue. I think it was an interesting discussion, and germane to the interests of a lot of the users here.
E-bay is in the Republic of California, so let's start there. We don't follow half of the federal laws here anyway. Here's 2328 California Commercial code (which I think is similar to your UCC reference)

(3) Such a sale is with reserve unless the goods are in explicit terms put up without reserve.  In an auction with reserve the auctioneer may withdraw the goods at any time until he announces completion of the sale.  In an auction without reserve, after the auctioneer calls for bids on an article or lot, that article or lot cannot be withdrawn unless no bid is made within a reasonable time.  In either case a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer's announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid.

We maybe be talking the same language here, but the problem is e-bay is moving the under-bidder into pole position after a high bidder retracts. That is violating law as I read it, or at a minimum, the intent of the law.

I can quote you on some other California Auction Codes that e-bay is ignoring if you want. In the near future, these AH's, and e-bay, are going to have skin in the game. They will not be able to throw up their hands and declare "i had no clue", or "we're just consignors", when they're enabling listings of the highest degree of fraud on their software platform.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
E-bay is in the Republic of California, so let's start there. We don't follow half of the federal laws here anyway. Here's 2328 California Commercial code (which I think is similar to your UCC reference)

(3) Such a sale is with reserve unless the goods are in explicit terms put up without reserve.  In an auction with reserve the auctioneer may withdraw the goods at any time until he announces completion of the sale.  In an auction without reserve, after the auctioneer calls for bids on an article or lot, that article or lot cannot be withdrawn unless no bid is made within a reasonable time.  In either case a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer's announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid.

We maybe be talking the same language here, but the problem is e-bay is moving the under-bidder into pole position after a high bidder retracts. That is violating law as I read it, or at a minimum, the intent of the law.

I can quote you on some other California Auction Codes that e-bay is ignoring if you want. In the near future, these AH's, and e-bay, are going to have skin in the game. They will not be able to throw up their hands and declare "i had no clue", or "we're just consignors", when they're enabling listings of the highest degree of fraud on their software platform.
That's all I was saying (the bolded portion) they HAVE to allow retractions. If you look at the other thread mentioned earlier we did discuss remedy after retraction. There are basically two ways a reputable auctioneer handles the situation. They either start the item over or ASK the under bidder if they would like to maintain their bid. Said under bidder is under no obligation to do so. There may be another way to legally handle the situation, but I agree that ebay's way certainly seems to violate the UCC (and yes it appears 2-328 is identical between the UCC and the CCC)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Sam Lemoine

Oh, they can retract even after the sale. I had auctions that ended on Tuesday night. A guy sniped and and won an item for $45 with one second left. He paid immediately. Then, ten minutes later, asked to cancel. Since eBay has it where he can leave negative feedback on me, but I can't do the same, I have to agree to cancel. The underbidder doesn't want the item, because he says he felt uncomfortable with how fast I sent the second chance offer (I don't blame him). So, I sell to the second underbidder for $35. Thanks, jerk. But, he can do this because eBay allows it.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 AM
S Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
And now you just completely ruined that avenue for all of us who already use it. Ebay will immediately start reconfiguring their bots to 'catch' us.

Thanks.

Edited to add: This was supposed to be taken somewhat humorously. They were probably on to us already.
YES, they do this NOW. If you go to post an image in the message, they will "remind" you it has to be within ebay laws. Also I just got a message from a ebay member that had an image attached. ebay asked it if was within their guidelines.

Not to be paranoid, but ebay can look at images in messages.

BTW I have gotten a few "warnings." Just have to be careful.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 AM

The bidder "may" retract a bid. What if they permitted bid retractions, but charged a $10,000,000 fee (or whatever) to do it? Could you argue that the bidder "may" retract the bid, in that it is possible for him to do so, and the statute doesn't prohibit putting obstacles in the way of doing it, or would a judge nix this idea?
Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Oh, they can retract even after the sale. I had auctions that ended on Tuesday night. A guy sniped and and won an item for $45 with one second left. He paid immediately. Then, ten minutes later, asked to cancel. Since eBay has it where he can leave negative feedback on me, but I can't do the same, I have to agree to cancel. The underbidder doesn't want the item, because he says he felt uncomfortable with how fast I sent the second chance offer (I don't blame him). So, I sell to the second underbidder for $35. Thanks, jerk. But, he can do this because eBay allows it.
Yup, I've had this happen to.

A couple months ago I actually had somebody pay me for something two weeks after an auction ended and then request to cancel right after they paid.

Claimed "their dad" bid on the auction by mistake.

I'm pretty sure they paid to avoid an unpaid item on their record, and then immediately went about the business of sabotaging the transaction.

Ebay doesn't give you much of a choice but to just comply. Especially with somebody who knows the ins and outs of getting out of a transaction.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Yes but we were speaking of legal rights, not ebaygle rights...

Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

I made a sale outside of eBay using paypal. An ebay member contacted me through ebay's messaging system about making them a custom item. Sent the user my paypal.me link for payment. Both my eBay and paypal accounts are now suspended indefinitely. I can't withdrawal my money from my paypal account for 180 days. The worst part is I had a substantial amount saved up in Ebay bucks I was planning on using. I wouldn't recommend doing deals outside of eBay. Be careful using PayPal F&F for goods as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
I made a sale outside of eBay using paypal. An ebay member contacted me through ebay's messaging system about making them a custom item. Sent the user my paypal.me link for payment. Both my eBay and paypal accounts are now suspended indefinitely. I can't withdrawal my money from my paypal account for 180 days. The worst part is I had a substantial amount saved up in Ebay bucks I was planning on using. I wouldn't recommend doing deals outside of eBay. Be careful using PayPal F&F for goods as well.
Yes, you are risking your paypal account if you circumvent their fees. I would be utterly screwed if I lost my paypal account.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Why don't you tell the seller just to come here and create an account. I'm sure Leon would like that very much :-)

I sometimes ask if they are a member
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.