NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default Buying cards on Amazon?

Does anyone ever do this? I only ask because I have a pile of credit card reward points to use. The value isn't quite there versus say just grabbing a Home Depot gift card but I can grab a card that I want in my collection that my wife would otherwise kill me if I just buy it.

So now to the question. Those who might buy there. Are there any reasonable priced cards? What is the best search method. As an example I searched 1956 Mantle and an SGC 2.5 came up for $440. I can afford it with my points but that same card on a buy it now on eBay is right around $350. And if I go the bidding route on eBay I could do better. Those same points I could grab $600 in Home Depot gift cards.

Since using points on Amazon is around 70% of the value of getting a gift card, I'd want to find cards at fairer prices. I just don't know the best way to search it on Amazon.

It's painful searching for specific cards one at a time.

Does anyone on here sell through Amazon?

Thanks - Steve
Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Dave Foster

Well, you are not going to get fairer prices on Amazon vs feebay, or on here. Dealers tend to jack their prices up considerably on Amazon while pushing the same card at a much lower price as a BIN on feebay. Amazon may be good if you are buying wifey perfume, sports cards, not so much.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 PM
Bry@n

I have never bought a card on Amazon as I have noticed the same prices you have. I say you get the $600 Home Depot gift card and sell it or trade it. See #3: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/6-tip...ft-card-scams/

The first site shows that you can trade the $600 HD card for $510 on Ebay, so you can buy the card at $350 and have money left over for another card.

Note: I have never used either site in that article, I just know that this sort of thing can be done.

Last edited by Jobu; 07-10-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:24 AM

I have purchased baseball cards on Amazon, but very infrequently. I had previously built a 1975 Hostess set and was looking for variations.....and they had them on Amazon, but not noted as such. Which is probably why they didn't sell......

Agree with your comments, prices are higher and harder to search.

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 07-11-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Jay Shelton

I agree; single priced cards, especially vintage, pre-war, post-war, are much more expensive than what you will find here on the B/S/T or on eBay, but I have purchased 2-3 boxes of newer cards (Owners League Japanese cards from 2011, 2012, 2014) on amazon.com, and for these types of items, amazon beats ebay hands down.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

It doesn't look like this will be a reasonable option. If someone on here sells on amazon I could possibly work something out to make the purchase through the site but based on what I am seeing its not equitable.

Its too bad. In the Mantle Case I have obtained all the Topps regular issue cards (non all-stars etc) from 1957-1969 (not including the 69 white letter version). The 1956 is staring me right in the face with no money coming out of my pocket. But I know its not a great use of points. My wife told me to do it.

I guess I'll just save up for the Mantle and hold onto my points as my wife will inevitably want me to do some sort of project or get new appliances.

Bummer.

Last edited by Marchillo; 07-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I recently traded in credit card points for a pricey Ebay gift card. Not an option?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Not at this point but it does change frequently. Originally I was going to use the points for a Vegas vacation. I am going next year and they were offering gift cards to pretty much all of the nice hotels out there. I figured I'd splurge and stay at one of the nicer ones that i usually can't afford. Unfortunately those are no longer an option. They are the same value as the home depot gift cards - Pretty much worth 1 cent per point. The amazon option is about .7 cents per point and then you couple that with overpriced items and you get a wasteful use of points.

Ebay would be great because while the gift cards might be pricey as you state - you can find some deals on Ebay.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I did pick up several nice graded '56 Topps cards on Amazon a couple of months ago while I was just finishing up my set. They were a bit higher-priced than I would have wanted, but it was definitely an option for me since I was in the same boat as you, with points available. Ultimately, I was happy with the purchases there. I doesn't hurt to check out what they have.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I believe amazon charges a much higher percentage on sales from the seller than on eBay, which is why memorabilia prices are so much higher.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM

I have bought 4-5 cards on Amazon at prices lower than what I would pay if purchased through eBay. Not as much selection though.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

A bunch of the cards listed on eBay are also on COMC for less (on sales).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.