NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Default Good, honest people

Figured I'd share this story since it has a happy ending and is a testament to the good, honest people out there. A long story, but a good one...

On the post war side I saw a couple cards for sale by Johnny630. I haven't dealt with Johnny in the past, but it's quite easy to tell that he's reputable based off his previous posts and interactions. He had two lots posted, so I made an offer on both, and he accepted. Off to a good start.

Nearly all my dealings on Net54 are through PayPal, but Johnny requested MO or check (totally fine). We swapped info and I cut him a check. I sent the check the next day, Johnny received, waited for it to clear, then sent the package.

A week goes by and no package. Uh oh. USPS is at it again. Ok, I'll give it a little longer.

Another couple days go by and still no package. So I decide to reach out to Johnny and ask about the package. He says the tracking number confirms that it has been delivered and forwards me the info. I check it out and it does say delivered, but to the wrong address - To an apartment complex I lived at 10 years ago!

In our PM exchanges I gave him my current address, but when he received my payment, he used the address printed on the check. Now I suppose I should have crossed out my old address or just thrown those checks out. I still have the same bank account and for some god forsaken reason I ordered about 500 checks at an extremely discounted rate when I lived there and have been trying to use them up ever since.

So all this comes to fruition about 3-4 weeks after we made our deal. I contacted the mail room at the apartment complex and they said they didn't have it. I was hoping that it would get returned to the sender. So we give it another couple weeks. No luck.

Then detective Johnny goes to work and calls the mail center, get's the current residents phone number, and gets to the bottom of everything. Way above and beyond the call of duty. Turns out that another Rob lives in the same apartment and....

HE HAS MY PACKAGE!

I then found out that he even tried to deliver my package to my house (30 mins away). One night while I was still at work and my wife was bathing our 3 and 5 year old boys there was a ring at the door and my wife didn't answer. She wasn't expecting anyone and was occupied with the boys, so she figured it was someone trying to sell us a new cable package or something.

I finally got the chance to call Rob and arranged a meeting to pick up the cards. He apologized that they had been opened, but it was clear that they hadn't been tampered with. He actually said his wife opened them and they got into an argument over her opening his mail! Hahah.

After a month and a half of trying to figure this out we finally got to the bottom of it. Good, honest people are out there and it's a nice to witness it first hand. Rob could have easily taken the cards and made a quick buck. Johnny could have easily said "not my problem" and walked away (I should also mentioned he offered to refund me in full or give me cards of equal value - very generous on him).

I think the blame lies on both of us a little. I sent him my right mailing address in the PM, but I sent him the wrong one on my old check. We both admitted fault, but he really stepped up. Sometimes we have our guards up so much in this hobby and feel like everyone is out to get you, but when everyone is civil and works together, great things happen!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:19 AM

I had a somewhat similar experience a couple years back. Mail got sent to an apartment I lived in 5 years before by mistake. Tracking number showed it delivered. Called the office because it would be oversized for the boxes at the office - but this was a few days after it was "delivered", and no luck with the office. Wrote the new apartment owner twice. No response. Was thinking about driving over there - but with traffic it's a 3-4 hour ordeal, and the package wasn't that valuable so I'd never really gotten to it.

Well .... about a month and a half later ... out of no where ... the woman in the booking office for the apartment calls me to say The package had arrived that day! Honestly, I had forgotten all about her, because USPS said it was delivered to the new owner, but she had written down my name and number, and then recognized the package when it came in and called me. I got the cards 2 days later. Unbelievable.

I wrote her supervisor and wrote a glowing letter. Not every employee would do something like that.

Cheers,
Patrick

I contacted her supervisor and wrote her a glowing letter.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM
JB

Default ........

Thanks for sharing...its nice to be reminded there are honest, decent people in the world that actually care about someone other than themselves.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Val Kehl

I fully believe that our hobby is full of "good, honest people" like Johnny630. Unfortunately, most every barrel contains a few rotten apples, and we must strive to keep them from influencing our opinions about the entire barrel full.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Very nice story. Glad things worked out!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:27 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The vast majority of people are good and honest. As said, it's the few dishonest who stand out.

The funny thing is the dishonest people often justify their actions by saying (and perhaps even believing) everyone does it-- when it's not true.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default nice

:I once had a member mistakenly send me money thru paypal

I kept it and didn't say anything ............. LOL

Na..sent it back
Old 07-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Rob,

Thank You you so much for your kind words and understanding :-), you're a true gentleman. It's a pleasure dealing with people of high integrity and class such as yourself and the other Rob who received the package. There are still good honest people in the hobby, you're one of them :-).
Old 07-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Its nice to hear this kind of story. I believe that the majority of folks are good honest people, but the dishonest ones are who we hear and read about all the time. Thanks for posting that.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Sam Lemoine

I sent money to a member here by mistake about a year ago. I had bought several items (on several occasions, because he has good stuff at good prices) from Northviewcats, so he was in my paypal list of people I had sent money to. I was sending money to someone else, when my computer autocorrected it and sent it to Northviewcats by mistake. I didn't realize it until I was told by the recipient that he hadn't gotten the funds. Of course, paypal is about as cooperative as ebay. Anyway, I let Joe (Northviewcats) know what had happened and I had my money back within 10 minutes of sending out the message. Yes, I agree that most folks here are pretty honest.