NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 PM
Ed

Default T-201 minor leaguers

Any theories on player selection for T-201s? My latest pick-up was a minor leaguer, with a relatively low number of players included why include minor leaguers?

By the way, love the set.

Thanks
Ed
Old 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Cliff

Default T201 Playahs

Hey Ed,

I do share your love of the lowly double folders!

if you can find it check out fellow member Mike Wheat's article on the t201's:

Old Cardboard Magazine, Issue #31 (Spring 2014), p. 30-36

Hopefully he will chime in on the post.

from the article:

"Player representation in the set seems to reflect the growing NYC market, which accounted for 25% of national cigarette sales in 1910.... cards from 11 minor league franchises are found in the set. These include six cards (12 players) from Eastern League Teams and 5 cards (10 players) from the American Association. The 6 Eastern League teams represented in the set were the Baltimore Orioles, Buffalo Bisons, Jersey City Skeeters, Newark Indians, Rochester Broncos and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 5 cards from the American Association include players from the Columbus Senators, Indianapolis Indians, Kansas City Blues, Milwaukee Brewers and the Toledo Mud Hens..."

cool stuff!

Cliff
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)
Old 01-19-2016, 09:01 PM

Default T 201

Hey guys,

Thanks for the heads up. Cliff, if I ever sell my T201 cards i know where to go with the Factory 30 Kling Cole.

When I was writing the article there were à number of interesting events and other facets of T cards that I wanted to discuss but ultimately they didn't make it in the final cut. I think many of the sets we now collect were targeted towards a specific tobacco market...but due to time, the association has been lost.

The tobacco industry in the late 1800s to early 1900s was markedly different than the tobacco industry as we know it today. In addition, changes in the way various companies that ultimately made up the ATC as well as the manner and method in which each brand was segmented, I believe, ultimately played a role in player selection for sets like the T201 set.

Cigarettes were becoming more popular than other forms of tobacco production (ie read relative to pipes and chew) with the New York market becoming one of the fastest growing markets for cigarettes at that time. The ATC was in the midst of moving one of their factories, which manufactured the Mecca brand to Brooklyn, NY (that area ultimately became known as the House of Mecca) and the ATC and successor companies were trying to figure out how to target each of the different brands towards different sets of consumers. Keep in mind they were trying to move away from using women in provocative poses, etc as a means of advertising. That was actually an important change, I feel, that led the tobacco companies into using "base ball" players as an advertising premium in their packs.

So player selection for the T201 set...and others as well... was most certainly influenced by the fact that 1) Mecca was moving to Brooklyn; 2) cigarettes were not the dominant means but an increasingly popular method of distributing tobacco and 3) this brand in particular was targeted towards New York...one of the largest and most important markets for cigarettes at the time.

Combine that with managements efforts to brand various forms of tobacco towards a particular niche and you can see why I feel there was certainly a bias towards "base ball", the New York market and its association with the T201 set. I think one day some other piece of evidence will pop up which conclusively links the T201 set to the minor league teams in and around NYC. Just don't know what that is though....

Z

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 01-19-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great info....thanks for sharing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the heads up. Cliff, if I ever sell my T201 cards i know where to go with the Factory 30 Kling Cole.

When I was writing the article there were à number of interesting events and other facets of T cards that I wanted to discuss but ultimately they didn't make it in the final cut. I think many of the sets we now collect were targeted towards a specific tobacco market...but due to time, the association has been lost.

The tobacco industry in the late 1800s to early 1900s was markedly different than the tobacco industry as we know it today. In addition, changes in the way various companies that ultimately made up the ATC as well as the manner and method in which each brand was segmented, I believe, ultimately played a role in player selection for sets like the T201 set.

Cigarettes were becoming more popular than other forms of tobacco production (ie read relative to pipes and chew) with the New York market becoming one of the fastest growing markets for cigarettes at that time. The ATC was in the midst of moving one of their factories, which manufactured the Mecca brand to Brooklyn, NY (that area ultimately became known as the House of Mecca) and the ATC and successor companies were trying to figure out how to target each of the different brands towards different sets of consumers. Keep in mind they were trying to move away from using women in provocative poses, etc as a means of advertising. That was actually an important change, I feel, that led the tobacco companies into using "base ball" players as an advertising premium in their packs.

So player selection for the T201 set...and others as well... was most certainly influenced by the fact that 1) Mecca was moving to Brooklyn; 2) cigarettes were not the dominant means but an increasingly popular method of distributing tobacco and 3) this brand in particular was targeted towards New York...one of the largest and most important markets for cigarettes at the time.

Combine that with managements efforts to brand various forms of tobacco towards a particular niche and you can see why I feel there was certainly a bias towards "base ball", the New York market and its association with the T201 set. I think one day some other piece of evidence will pop up which conclusively links the T201 set to the minor league teams in and around NYC. Just don't know what that is though....

Z
Old 01-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Ed

Default T-201 info

Thanks!

Best,
Ed