NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Christie's Baseball Auction Closing Procedures

Lots close on an individual basis, pursuant to a 3 minute rule.

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6am to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Does anyone think Christie's has less information on how to run an auction to maximize values than your typical baseball memorabilia AH?

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

A countdown clock is displayed for each lot on the lot description page. In order to achieve the best possible results in our online-only sales and to make the bidding process as fair and manageable as possible for all prospective bidders, Christie’s has implemented lot bidding extensions. Where there is bidding activity on a particular lot within 3 minutes (180 seconds) prior to the lot's allocated closing time, there will be a 3 minute bidding extension on that lot until only one bidder remains. These extensions will continue indefinitely until there is no more bidding activity on the lot for a period of 3 minutes (180 seconds) implying that there is no further interest. This extra time is designed to accommodate interested bidders and allow them the time to compete for a lot until their ceiling has been reached. This is also designed to avoid the last-minute rush where bidders log onto Christie’s at the end of the online-only sale in an effort to leave a single winning bid seconds before the sale's closing time. This is called sniping and is considered unfair practice to both buyers and sellers and the lot bidding extension has been designed to avoid this. Please note that the extension of one lot’s closing time does not affect other lots’ closing times; therefore it is possible that lots will close out of numerical lot order.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-16-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Dave_Berg

Why don't you call Al at LOTG rather than posting another snide post directed at his auction format. He's very accessible and his phone # and email or at his website.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

To be fair, I wouldn't use Christie's as the model for all AH's to follow. Closing lots during the morning on weekdays, 25% BP, outrageous shipping, leaving out vital details in the descriptions, selling type 2 photos as originals, etc.

Last edited by Bicem; 08-16-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6pm to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Does anyone think Christie's has less information on how to run an auction to maximize values than your typical baseball memorabilia AH?

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

A countdown clock is displayed for each lot on the lot description page. In order to achieve the best possible results in our online-only sales and to make the bidding process as fair and manageable as possible for all prospective bidders, Christie’s has implemented lot bidding extensions. Where there is bidding activity on a particular lot within 3 minutes (180 seconds) prior to the lot's allocated closing time, there will be a 3 minute bidding extension on that lot until only one bidder remains. These extensions will continue indefinitely until there is no more bidding activity on the lot for a period of 3 minutes (180 seconds) implying that there is no further interest. This extra time is designed to accommodate interested bidders and allow them the time to compete for a lot until their ceiling has been reached. This is also designed to avoid the last-minute rush where bidders log onto Christie’s at the end of the online-only sale in an effort to leave a single winning bid seconds before the sale's closing time. This is called sniping and is considered unfair practice to both buyers and sellers and the lot bidding extension has been designed to avoid this. Please note that the extension of one lot’s closing time does not affect other lots’ closing times; therefore it is possible that lots will close out of numerical lot order.
I don't think keeping an auction open until 6pm catches the "wee hours" Sorry, just being a smart a$$
Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM
GaryPassamonte

As a retired buyer that lives in NYS who is only interested in one lot, I like the format. I don't like the BP or the shipping costs, but I just factor that into my lot cost.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Why don't you call Al at LOTG rather than posting another snide post directed at his auction format. He's very accessible and his phone # and email or at his website.
Not directed at anyone. Three auctions closed last week. And we go through this charade with nearly all of them. Craziness.

And I will take a wild guess that I have given Al more business in the last 6 months as both a consignor and bidder than you have. So spare me the sanctimonious ass kissing.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-16-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
outrageous shipping.
I did notice that, on one flat item shipping was $164???
Old 08-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Banned

Well, they're the biggest auction house in the universe, so shipping charge has to be right.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Most of the items in Christies will sell for over $5000. Many over $20,000. They are not PWCC. They are shipping museum pieces, not Gregg Jeffries refractor cards.

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but if $164 is a big issue you are not probably bidding in their auction.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

This isn't shipping for $12.99. Hate to break the news.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4642.jpg (69.1 KB, 466 views)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but if $164 is a big issue you are not probably bidding in their auction.
Seriously??? No, $164 isn't a big issue, however, to ship a 4x5 inch photo that "may" sell for $2,000 (I know, if 2 people get into a pissing match it will garner more) FedEx does NOT cost this. I can get a plane ticket there and back to pick it up in person cheaper, so please.........
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

exactly

Last edited by RedsFan1941; 08-16-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ....

Maybe use all that extra money to purchase some common sense.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Barry Sloate

The BP is 25%, and since I'm a New Yorker with sales tax that adds about 34% to each of my lots. Have to bid accordingly. At least I can pick up in person, because their shipping is through the roof.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 PM

Default AH Close

Quote:
To be fair, I wouldn't use Christie's as the model for all AH's to follow. Closing lots during the morning on weekdays, 25% BP, outrageous shipping, leaving out vital details in the descriptions, selling type 2 photos as originals, etc.
+1 Jeff!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Daryl

Default Christie's

I don't get the shipping charges. They are saying $143.00 shipping for a graded $500 Cracker Jack card is this correct or am I missing something?
Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcobb View Post
I don't get the shipping charges. They are saying $143.00 shipping for a graded $500 Cracker Jack card is this correct or am I missing something?
Their shipping costs are very high. That's because they are an art auction that once every couple of years sells baseball stuff. So you are paying for what the worlds top art house usually charges. In some cases its total overkill and absurd and in many cases it's absolutely required.

I bought this last year. $165 was a gift for shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3242.jpg (69.1 KB, 357 views)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-16-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Barry Sloate

My initial bids are getting topped and I am not receiving any outbid notices. I guess you have to stay on top of this one.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Huh????

Quote:

Mmmmm. Somehow the world's largest auction house, which does probably more than 8 billion a year in revenue, hasn't gotten the memo that they should keep their entire auction open until 6am to catch the spirited bidding that takes place in the wee hours and nowhere else.

Seems pretty simple no?

17. When do lots close?

I think this auction house is doing just fine. If you don't like their rules I guess you can decide not to bid? Or you can become a consultant for them. Objective- to improve their business practices. Either way I hope you have a cheerful rest of the week.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
My initial bids are getting topped and I am not receiving any outbid notices. I guess you have to stay on top of this one.
You should look into that. I am.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Christie's shipping is outrageous regardless if you can afford it or not. $500+ in multiple instances for $20k worth of winnings.

I've shipped $20k items before and shipping was a fraction of that. Hopefully this year is better.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Christie's shipping is outrageous regardless if you can afford it or not. $500+ in multiple instances for $20k worth of winnings.

I've shipped $20k items before and shipping was a fraction of that. Hopefully this year is better.
In some cases it is. But I guess they are not going to calculate it based on every package. Not saying its right but it is what it is.

200 for a large rare cabinet picture doesn't strike me as outrageous. If someone spends $20,000 on a piece, I doubt they will complain over a $300 shipping job that is highly professional akin to what fine artwork receives. (But many people who weren't going to buy anything anyway under any circumstances will complain and be mortally outraged.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I have a bigger issue with selling the type 2 photos as originals. I don't think they were trying to deceive, they just didn't know any better. Be careful this year everyone.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

But they don't represent types on photos, do they? Was just looking for that.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
The BP is 25%, and since I'm a New Yorker with sales tax that adds about 34% to each of my lots. Have to bid accordingly. At least I can pick up in person, because their shipping is through the roof.
That was the difference between winning and losing the item I bid on last year. (Can't say this for certain obviously since I don't know the winner's max, but my bid was higher than his all inclusive with tax...
Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
But they don't represent types on photos, do they? Was just looking for that.
I guess technically they don't.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Robert Klevens

Where do you see shipping listed? I clicked on Estimated Cost Calculator on numerous lots and they all say. Estimated Shipping TBC
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Hey Barry,

Most of mine have got topped and I did relieve the outbid email. Check your junk folder. On a side note, You may want to do some pickups for Net54 winners and do a reasonable markup which will have to include the 9% NY tax.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks JC, I'll check my spam. I'm not sure I want to get into the shipping business, and some of the lots are really large. I take the subway into the city, and there is only so much I can carry home with me.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
They should really mention if they are type 2s. Fortunately, nothing I have to have in this auction.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:53 AM

Barry...Uber.

PS- I don't buy that logic- Well, if you buy a $20,000 item you can afford $500 in shipping, or they package items so professionally, etc...

Al does some of the best packaging in the business and it's very inexpensive...or look at REA- free shipping!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm a subway guy Michael.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Where do you see shipping listed? I clicked on Estimated Cost Calculator on numerous lots and they all say. Estimated Shipping TBC
Once I was logged in and registered, then the Cost Calculator worked to show the outrageous shipping amounts instead of just 'TBC'.....
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM
James Gallo

I didn't even know they still did sports auctions so there is that.

Those cracker jacks look really clean is there a story with these or thoughts they have been bleached?

I was involved with a auction Sotheby's did a year or so ago and the shipping was a massive issue there as well. These companies just dont know how to ship cheaply.

They sold a Simpsons tin garbage pail for $250 and wanted to charge 350 to ship it. Its pretty dumb imo and hurts the auction prices but i dont see any way around it beyond picking the stuff up in person.

I think these big two auction houses have once again taken notice of the pop culture side of things getting back to some of the type of things they did in the 1990s.

James G
Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If I paid $20,000 for a panorama from 1910, I'd be happy to pay for a top notch shipping job. For a garbage can, not so much.

Bought 2 items last year from Christies and the shipping was far far better than any auction house. Not even in the same ballpark. And I was happy. It's easy to drop a card in a small box with bubble wrap. Not so easy to ship a large rare artifact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post

Those cracker jacks look really clean is there a story with these or thoughts they have been bleached?

I was involved with a auction Sotheby's did a year or so ago and the shipping was a massive issue there as well. These companies just dont know how to ship cheaply.

They sold a Simpsons tin garbage pail for $250 and wanted to charge 350 to ship it. Its pretty dumb imo and hurts the auction prices but i dont see any way around it beyond picking the stuff up in person.

I think these big two auction houses have once again taken notice of the pop culture side of things getting back to some of the type of things they did in the 1990s.

James G
Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Scott S

Quote:
It's easy to drop a card in a small box with bubble wrap. Not so easy to ship a large rare artifact.
And that's the problem many will have with this. They're basically charging the same $150+ shipping price for a 1915 Cracker Jack card that will sell for under $1,000, as they are for that $20K large rare artifact.

A little adjustment based on size and price would go a long way. For me, it just means I'll bid less on the items based on what I know will be charged for shipping.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Scott S

Also, should I assume they will not combine shipping if you win more than one lot? Do I get nailed the $150 for each item?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Mark Fox

UPS in New York actually offers an auction house pickup and shipping service for the high end auction houses. On the shipping form for Christies you can authorize the pickup of your item by a third party shipping company.

From the UPS website:
Auction House Pickup
We pickup from Christie's, Sotheby's, Bonham's, and other auction houses to provide a cost effective and secure alternative to auction house in house shipping. We will pickup your fragile, high value items provide a customized packaging solution and deliver the items guaranteed safely anywhere in the world. Call us for a free quote.

https://newyork-ny-4766.theupsstorel...ces/pack--ship

For many of the items in the baseball auction such as photographs, cards, documents, etc I bet that choosing this method would probably save you a considerable sum.

Last edited by markf31; 08-17-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 AM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Also, should I assume they will not combine shipping if you win more than one lot? Do I get nailed the $150 for each item?
Scott, I just spoke with them on the phone, and they DO NOT provide combined shipping savings. They actually send each item out in its own package.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
And that's the problem many will have with this. They're basically charging the same $150+ shipping price for a 1915 Cracker Jack card that will sell for under $1,000, as they are for that $20K large rare artifact.
That's the point numerous people in this thread have made. "Most" everyone gets it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Scott, I just spoke with them on the phone, and they DO NOT provide combined shipping savings. They actually send each item out in its own package.
Thanks for the information - and great idea in Mark's comment above about using UPS as a 3rd party shipping alternative. Certainly could save a few bucks if you pick up a couple of items!

Last edited by scooter729; 08-17-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
That's the point numerous people in this thread have made. "Most" everyone gets it.
If anyone buys one of the cheaper smaller items I will be happy to ship it to you for cost of priority mail. I already indicated to them that I will pick up in person anything I "win". Can't do for something large that will not be east to repack and ship. Card or small photo no problem.

Keep it in mind. Leon and others can vouch that I may be loud and opinionated but I 'm an honest broker and have done countless deals on the board. Would be happy to save some a few hundred bucks.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-17-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGallo View Post

James G
AFAIK, all of the items in these last two auctions for Christie's have been from a single owner. I am not sure how much, if any, of his collection is left, but I do not think that Christie's will be doing any more sports memorabilia sales when they are finished with it.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
AFAIK, all of the items in these last two auctions for Christie's have been from a single owner. I am not sure how much, if any, of his collection is left, but I do not think that Christie's will be doing any more sports memorabilia sales when they are finished with it.
Did anyone notice there are duplicate lots in this auction which were sold during the live auction? Plus some of the lots Christies owns and some lots are privately owned. I was outbid on lots during their live auction and now they are back up for the Enet auction???? Wonder what happened there?!?!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Did anyone notice there are duplicate lots in this auction which were sold during the live auction? Plus some of the lots Christies owns and some lots are privately owned. I was outbid on lots during their live auction and now they are back up for the Enet auction???? Wonder what happened there?!?!
I believe that a few of the bidders reneged on their bids, so they are running those items again.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
If anyone buys one of the cheaper smaller items I will be happy to ship it to you for cost of priority mail. I already indicated to them that I will pick up in person anything I "win". Can't do for something large that will not be east to repack and ship. Card or small photo no problem.

Keep it in mind. Leon and others can vouch that I may be loud and opinionated but I 'm an honest broker and have done countless deals on the board. Would be happy to save some a few hundred bucks.
FWIW, if you pick it up for someone else, the buyer will have to pay the NY state sales tax. In some cases, shipping may actually be more cost effective than paying the NY state sales tax. For the smaller/lower cost items though, this could make sense.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
David McDonald

Almost too much hassle to even bother with but, Holy Jeez, there are some terrific items that I would love to have a shot at.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Hey Kevin, I know of at least one item at Christies that was purchased in the most recent REA auction.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:50 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Hey Kevin, I know of at least one item at Christies that was purchased in the most recent REA auction.
Greg - Wow that is really interesting. Totally opposite of what I was told. What lot is it? PM or email me if you want.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:09 PM

The balance of the photography (what was not sent to Christies) has been and will continue to be offered through RMY Auctions. We began running photos from this collection at the start of the year and will be running items throughout most of 2018.