NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default 1947 BOND BREAD and its "imposters"....show us your cards ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

It was the Summer of '47....my sister and I carefully opened up Homogenized Bond Bread packages, for a Joe DiMaggio, a Ted Williams,
a Stan Musial, or the new rookie sensation....a Jackie Robinson BB card. Our Mom couldn't buy enough of the Bond Bread loafs. So, we
had our Dad buying Bond Bread for his restaurant and our Aunt buying Bond Bread. In the Fall of 1947, we experienced one of the most
exciting World Series ever played. 1947 was a tremendous year for BB, and a great start for me in the wonderful life-long hobby of col-
lecting BB cards. These B/W cards were really popular with the kids in our neighborhood. By trading & sharing our collections with each
other, we eventually realized that there were no more than 44 BB players and 4 Boxers in a complete set.

1947 Homogenized BOND BREAD wrapper

[linked image]

Many cards in this set are the very 1st (or rookie) cards issued of the players. Shown here are the 1st cards of Yogi Berra, Stan Musial,
Jackie Pobinson, Gil Hodges, Ralph Kiner and Bobby Thomson.

[linked image]

This set has been the source of much confusion in the hobby for many years. The only true 1947 Bond Bread cards are these 48 in this
general set and the Jackie Robinson set. All of which have beveled (or ROUNDED) corners in order to fit into the bread loaf packages.
Unfortunately, other issues that resemble the Bond Bread cards that were issued after 1947 and were never packaged in Bond Bread loafs
have been mis-identified as "1947 Bond Bread" cards. Grading Co. have been most guilty of erroneously labeling these SQUARE "imposters".

Shown here are two cards from the 1949 (unknown) issue which includes 24 of the BB players depicted in the 1947 Bond Bread issue and
an additional BB player (or 2). Also, many of the popular Movie Stars of that era were included. These cards may have been printed by the
same firm that printed the 1947 set. However, their SQUARE corners and their inferior cardboard stock belie the fact that these cards are
NOT related to the "1947 Bond Bread" issue.
A recent find of many of these SQUARE cards (BB and Movie Stars) suggest a 1949 issue date since Walker Cooper is depicted in this col-
lection as a NY Giant (Cooper was traded to Cinci in the Summer of '49).

1949 (unknown) issue

[linked image]

A 1947 Bond Bread Team/checklist will follow in the next post here.

TED Z

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Before I begin, let me state that this is an old thread (from early 2009........I can still remember that year as though it was yesterday....).

This is for prosperity and for Ted Z.... The following eBay item just ended:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230415942970

It was for the complete 24 card '47 Bond Bread imposter cards/set (22 baseball + Joe Louis & Primo Carnera) which were unearthed by Dave Festberg. The seller stated he purchased the set in 1990 from B&J as noted in the SCD article. The card backs were the beige variety not the white version.

I passed on bidding on this item but was surprised to see it only sold for $102 (Nr/Mt set). I have always greatly appreciated everything I have learned (and continue learning) about this set from Ted Z., but at the end of his dissertations it always makes my head hurt. Plus, there is always the possibility that it is in fact a reprinted set. Guess, others feel the same way.

Lovely Day...
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 AM
doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Before I begin, let me state that this is an old thread (from early 2009........I can still remember that year as though it was yesterday....).

This is for prosperity and for Ted Z.... The following eBay item just ended:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230415942970

It was for the complete 24 card '47 Bond Bread imposter cards/set (22 baseball + Joe Louis & Primo Carnera) which were unearthed by Dave Festberg. The seller stated he purchased the set in 1990 from B&J as noted in the SCD article. The card backs were the beige variety not the white version.

I passed on bidding on this item but was surprised to see it only sold for $102 (Nr/Mt set). I have always greatly appreciated everything I have learned (and continue learning) about this set from Ted Z., but at the end of his dissertations it always makes my head hurt. Plus, there is always the possibility that it is in fact a reprinted set. Guess, others feel the same way.

Lovely Day...
I am with you on the head hurting and I just got into this a week ago. My cards truly were found in an old scrapbook I have from around Cleveland Indian World Series time (1948). All my neighborhood was collecting these cards, so I know they are original and not reprinted. My dilemma is why are the same pictures in the first set of 48 in my set of 24. Also, my picture of Vern Stephens is in a St Louis Browns uniform of 1947, and in 48 and later he played for Red Sox. In my eye, when I look at the back of my pics, they look white, considering the age.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The fact that Stephens appears in a 1947 uniform in a later card is not an anachronism. If he'd been in a Red Sox uni it would disprove an issue date from before the trade.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-24-2016, 03:52 PM
David M.

As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words". Since DiMaggio isn't supposed to be available with square corners, maybe you could take a pic of just that card.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 PM
doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words". Since DiMaggio isn't supposed to be available with square corners, maybe you could take a pic of just that card.
I posted the Di Maggio and just think, there are 11 more square corners...... this is too much fun,,,, I think that they think, that I am full of it.......The only thing that ruins this whole thing is the 10 year old that scotch taped the corners in the scrapbook... I am still hopeful my In Law can save these corners....
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by archive View Post
posted by: ted zanidakis

it's my understanding that only 24 cards (22 bb and joe louis & primo carnera) were in the sets that dave festberg sold.
is this true for the set you have ?

you may be right about the cards in festburg's "find" not being "reprints"; however, illustrated here is the problem i have
with the "festburg cards".

.................1947 bond bread....................."1949 sports star subjects"
[linked image]
.................1947 bond bread.....................card from festburg "find"

backs

[linked image]
note the difference in the discolored cardboard of the festburg "find" card

furthermore, the two jansen cards and the 1947 bond bread stephens card are printed on thicker cardboard than the
square stephens card. Also, there is a higher printing quality (contrast) in two jansen cards and the 1947 bond bread
stephens card with respect to the stephens card of the festberg find.

Lee

Email me and I will discuss this further...... tedzan11@comcast.net

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 02-27-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 AM
Michael

Default Jackie 1947?

What do you think? Is it a 1947 or later
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-JACKIE-...item35d97b133a
Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hi Michael

It looks like a 1947 from the BOND BREAD packages. All four corners appear to have a (partial) bevel. I say "partial" since the corner cuts
are not clean-cut.

I wish the seller would have shown the back of this card....in order for me to be certain that it is an original 1947.

TED Z
Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picked this up recently and it seems to be made by the same production people as the Bond etc. cards and related materials. It is the size of a commemorative postage stamp, blank backed, real photo.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
What do you think? Is it a 1947 or later
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-JACKIE-...item35d97b133a
Later
Old 07-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of getting a "true" rookie card, might have to pick one of these up even if not as popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 AM
doug

Default 1940's bond cards

Need your help,, cannot send Bond Pictures (22) for verification. Even when I try to send email it says no no.Been at this for 2days and feel like IQ is 40 Minus that is
Old 07-19-2016, 10:22 AM
doug

Default 1940's Bond Cards

It almost looks like these rounded corners come from picture holders in those days. Mine all have what looks like scotch tape angled at the corners just like the picture holders. Your thoughts please... thank you, Douglas
Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Dan Bl@u

Default Here are Doolittle's cards

Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolittle1.1.1 View Post
It almost looks like these rounded corners come from picture holders in those days. Mine all have what looks like scotch tape angled at the corners just like the picture holders. Your thoughts please... thank you, Douglas

Douglas

I collected these cards back in 1947. I pulled them out of BOND BREAD packages. Their corners were Factory (die cut) rounded.

FYI....I'm reprising my initial post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

It was the Summer of '47....my sister and I carefully opened up Homogenized Bond Bread packages, for a Joe DiMaggio, a Ted Williams,
a Stan Musial, or the new rookie sensation....a Jackie Robinson BB card. Our Mom couldn't buy enough of the Bond Bread loafs. So, we
had our Dad buying Bond Bread for his restaurant and our Aunt buying Bond Bread. In the Fall of 1947, we experienced one of the most
exciting World Series ever played. 1947 was a tremendous year for BB, and a great start for me in the wonderful life-long hobby of col-
lecting BB cards. These B/W cards were really popular with the kids in our neighborhood. By trading & sharing our collections with each
other, we eventually realized that there were no more than 44 BB players and 4 Boxers in a complete set.

[linked image]

Many cards in this set are the very 1st (or rookie) cards issued of the players. Shown here are the 1st cards of Yogi Berra, Stan Musial,

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 07-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Douglas

I collected these cards back in 1947. I pulled them out of BOND BREAD packages. Their corners were Factory (die cut) rounded.

FYI....I'm reprising my initial post here.
And an informative reprisal thread is always welcome. Most board members didn't collect in 1947.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:33 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And an informative reprisal thread is always welcome. Most board members didn't collect in 1947.
Many of us have enjoyed ripping wax, most of us would love to have ripped tobacco and caramel...Ted is the only one I know that has ripped flour.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
doug

Default show us your cards

Quote:

[linked image]

[linked image]

This set has been the source of much confusion in the hobby for many years. The only true 1947 Bond Bread cards are these 48 in this
general set and the Jackie Robinson set. All of which have beveled (or ROUNDED) corners in order to fit into the bread loaf packages.
Unfortunately, other issues that resemble the Bond Bread cards that were issued after 1947 and were never packaged in Bond Bread loafs
have been mis-identified as "1947 Bond Bread" cards. Grading Co. have been most guilty of erroneously labeling these SQUARE "imposters".

Shown here are two cards from the 1949 (unknown) issue which includes 24 of the BB players depicted in the 1947 Bond Bread issue and
an additional BB player (or 2). Also, many of the popular Movie Stars of that era were included. These cards may have been printed by the
same firm that printed the 1947 set. However, their SQUARE corners and their inferior cardboard stock belie the fact that these cards are
A recent find of many of these SQUARE cards (BB and Movie Stars) suggest a 1949 issue date since Walker Cooper is depicted in this col-
section as a NY Giant (Cooper was traded to Cinci in the Summer of '49).

1949 (unknown) issue

[linked image]

TED Z

I do believe you are correct with 1947 vs 1949. The photo of Rizzuto shows his full signature. My photo only shows part of it which means mine is a smaller photo, because they have been in my posssession since 1947/1949 and the back of at least 20 are white and not yellow. The thickness is thin, compared to cards of that era, therefore, I believe this set is the 1949 version Doolittle1.1.1

Last edited by doolittle1.1.1; 07-19-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: identify myself
Old 11-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:

[linked image]

[linked image]

lection as a NY Giant (Cooper was traded to Cinci in the Summer of '49).

1949 (unknown) issue

[linked image]

TED Z

Like magic, my 1st post images have re-appeared. I'm in the process of gradually transferring my images to another system.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 11-02-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Tip Top and Bond Bread were issued by the same company -Ward Baking, whose parent company was General Baking when these 2 sets were issued in 1947.

Tip Top only issued cards for the cities that had teams -for example, Tip Top contained only cards of the Braves and Red Sox while New York were only issued Yankees, Giants and Dodgers, so collectors would see any other team.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Bond Bread cards were issued in states and cities that had no teams. Just a wild guess.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1947 BOND BREAD cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Tip Top and Bond Bread were issued by the same company -Ward Baking, whose parent company was General Baking when these 2 sets were issued in 1947.

Tip Top only issued cards for the cities that had teams -for example, Tip Top contained only cards of the Braves and Red Sox while New York were only issued Yankees, Giants and Dodgers, so collectors would see any other team.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Bond Bread cards were issued in states and cities that had no teams. Just a wild guess.

Ryan

Both 1947 BOND BREAD and TIP TOP cards were issued in states and cities which had Major League teams playing BB.

I don't understand this last statement of yours. It does not make any sense.

I collected these BOND BREAD cards as a very young kid in the Summer/Fall of 1947. We lived in NJ (less than a 1/2 hour away from NYC).
My cousins who lived in NYC collected these same cards.

The TIP TOP Set consists of 163 subjects which represent 11 teams in the Major Leagues.

The BOND BREAD set consists of 44 ballplayers....here is a team checklist:

NEW YORK GIANTS
-------------------
JOHNNY MIZE
SID GORDON
LARRY JANSEN
SHELDON JONES
BUDDY KERR
WHITEY LOCKMAN
WILLARD MARSHALL
BOBBY THOMSON

BROOKLYN DODGERS
--------------------
JACKIE ROBINSON
REX BARNEY
RALPH BRANCA
BRUCE EDWARDS
CARL FURILLO
JOE HATTEN
GIL HODGES
PEE WEE REESE

NEW YORK YANKEES
--------------------
JOE DiMAGGIO
LARRY BERRA
JOE GORDON
CHARLIE KELLER
JOHNNY LINDELL
PHIL RIZZUTO
AARON ROBINSON

BOSTON RED SOX
------------------
TED WILLIAMS
DOM DIMAGGIO
BOBBY DOERR
JOHNNY PESKY

CLEVELAND INDIANS
---------------------
BOB FELLER
LOU BOUDREAU
KEN KELTNER
BIRDIE TEBBETTS

ST LOUIS CARDINALS
----------------------
STAN MUSIAL
HARRY BRECHEEN
ENOS SLAUGHTER

BOSTON BRAVES
-----------------
JOHNNY SAIN
BOB ELLIOTT
TOMMY HOLMES

CINCINNATI REDS
-------------------
EWELL BLACKWELL
JOHNNY VANDERMEER

CHICAGO CUBS
-------------
ANDY PAFKO

PHILADELPHIA ATHLETICS
--------------------------
EDDIE JOOST

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
-------------------------
DEL ENNIS

PITTSBURGH PIRATES
----------------------
RALPH KINER

ST LOUIS BROWNS
-------------------
VERN STEPHENS

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 11-19-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added information.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Well, I did say I'd go out on a limb
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Deleted.

Mistaken post.

Last edited by tedzan; 04-09-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Tim Odeen

Picked this up ungraded. Took a risk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 PM
Michael Fried

Default Keep Posting

Thanks all for starting to post your cards, whether individually or side-by-side with another from the different set. We need to see the backs of any "rounded" (die-cut) corner cards, especially if you can identify it to being a card from the Sport Star Subjects set. The more we get of Bond Bread and Sport Star Subject images, the better we can all see the difference. Even if you have a card that you're not sure is a Bond Bread insert or a Sport Star Subjects card (regardless of how a grading company may have classified it), we may have enough to tell the difference. Thanks again, Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 08-16-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:02 PM
Pete D.

[IMG]2020-08-19_11-21-13 by Pete Defino, on Flickr[/IMG]

So I'm going to assume this is a 1947 Bond Bread ?

Back..
[IMG]2020-08-20_12-58-53 by Pete Defino, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2020, 10:48 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Managed to get to mine today and take some pics......sorry for the pink cast, I'm no so good with the camera.
I took them on a white granite with gray fleck, I was trying to give a comparison in shade of stock. I'd say overall minus the pink cast - if you imagined 2 shades lighter for actual briteness of stock you'd be in the park. Definitely NOT a grey toned back, any flecking and pattering on the white back is more light caramel in hue.
Hope these close ups show the cuts well enough, as well as some vagaries of printing...

Old 08-23-2020, 12:05 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Managed to get to mine today and take some pics......sorry for the pink cast, I'm no so good with the camera . . ."
Your pictures are fine. The obvious question is whether it is a Bond Bread package insert or a card from the "Sport Star Subjects" set.

If you're willing, let's put it to the grading service. What I'd do is send them an e-mail saying you received back this card (give them their graded card number) and ask how do they know it's a 1947 Bond Bread insert card and not a card from the "Sport Star Subjects" set. I'd also attach to the e-mail the scan below (or a similar scan) of "Sport Star Subjects" boxes so they have no excuse for not knowing what you are talking about. [The scan was provided in Post #280 above on 06-11-2020 by member "tim"].

I think we all would like to know what they say. Will they say both of those sets are Bond Bread sets, or they don't know what the "Sport Star Subjects" set is, or something else? If they ask you any questions, bring them back here and we all can help answer them. Be well, Mike

P.S. They might say the card submission form said a "Bond Bread card." Even if it did, that's no excuse for a grading service. They should never take a submitter's definition at face value, and should authenticate any card before they put their label on the slab. Good luck!

Last edited by abctoo; 08-23-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:43 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
Your pictures are fine. The obvious question is whether it is a Bond Bread package insert or a card from the "Sport Star Subjects" set.

If you're willing, let's put it to the grading service. What I'd do is send them an e-mail saying you received back this card (give them their graded card number) and ask how do they know it's a 1947 Bond Bread insert card and not a card from the "Sport Star Subjects" set. I'd also attach to the e-mail the scan below (or a similar scan) of "Sport Star Subjects" boxes so they have no excuse for not knowing what you are talking about. [The scan was provided in Post #280 above on 06-11-2020 by member "tim"].

I think we all would like to know what they say. Will they say both of those sets are Bond Bread sets, or they don't know what the "Sport Star Subjects" set is, or something else? If they ask you any questions, bring them back here and we all can help answer them. Be well, Mike

P.S. They might say the card submission form said a "Bond Bread card." Even if it did, that's no excuse for a grading service. They should never take a submitter's definition at face value, and should authenticate any card before they put their label on the slab. Good luck!

Uhm, Mike, I was just offering up some pics.
Do with them as you will for your research but I'm not co-sponsering. Ok?
Old 08-23-2020, 05:14 AM
Michael S.

Any help on this one would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img144.jpg (65.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg img145.jpg (82.6 KB, 255 views)

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 08-31-2020, 08:07 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Gentlemen, I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, so I'd like to ask your advice. I have a strong emotional affinity for Stan Musial. I'd really like to own a 1947 Bond Bread Musial. A ROUNDED-CORNERS Musial, of course. But I'm suspect of a couple I've seen that they could be altered versions of a squared-corners one. Is there history of this happening? With PSA not touching those cards, I find only SGC-graded cards. Should I trust completely those cards are legit? If I look at a raw card, is there a giveaway on alteration? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath View Post
Gentlemen, I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, so I'd like to ask your advice. I have a strong emotional affinity for Stan Musial. I'd really like to own a 1947 Bond Bread Musial. A ROUNDED-CORNERS Musial, of course. But I'm suspect of a couple I've seen that they could be altered versions of a squared-corners one. Is there history of this happening? With PSA not touching those cards, I find only SGC-graded cards. Should I trust completely those cards are legit? If I look at a raw card, is there a giveaway on alteration? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The "rounded-corners" are not exactly round, but were die-cut and can generally appear suspect because of the crude nature of the die-cutting. At the moment, not too many of the "squared-corners" have been trimmed to look as if they are "rounded" ones. For the moment, that should not be your biggest concern.

The real issue is whether the card is an actual Bond Bread package insert card or whether it is a virtually identical lookalike from the "rounded-corner" Sport Star Subjects set.

Those participating in this thread have not come to a consensus as to the date of issue of the Sport Star Subjects set. A few doubt whether the Sport Star Subjects set ever existed with "rounded-corners."

If you see a Musial card you like, take it on its face value. I am of the opinion that the very high grade Stan Musial cards available today (whether graded or not) are generally not Bond Bread cards but are from the round-corner Sport Star Subjects set.

Mike
Old 07-06-2023, 03:39 PM

Default need help on Bond Bread Cards

Hi all
New here need help on bond bread cards. I am in the process of doing a book on them and need card info. I need L/W and thickness on all bond bread cards.
Round corner square corner the Jackie Robinson set the exhibit set to. forget
the two-sided set to. I need the sizes and thickness on all the cards and will take pictures on any of these cards front and back please. If you can please help me out.
thanks
alton
Old 07-21-2023, 01:17 PM
David M.

This card is currently being auctioned. I must add the disclaimer that I do not claim to be an expert on these cards. However, I was wondering when I saw this card, do you think someone took one of the later versions and cut off the corners to make it look like a Bond Bread card? Opinions are welcome. In case Leon asks for full name, David Maupin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947 Bond Bread Upper Left.jpg (123.5 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg 1947 Bread Upper Right.jpg (150.7 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg 1947 Bond Bread Lower Left.jpg (157.1 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 1947 Bread Lower Right.jpg (136.2 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 07-21-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:03 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
This card is currently being auctioned. I must add the disclaimer that I do not claim to be an expert on these cards. However, I was wondering when I saw this card, do you think someone took one of the later versions and cut off the corners to make it look like a Bond Bread card? Opinions are welcome. In case Leon asks for full name, David Maupin
It would be helpful to see the back.
Old 07-21-2023, 03:09 PM
David M.

Here's a picture of the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1947 Bread back.jpg (41.7 KB, 416 views)
Old 07-22-2023, 01:03 PM
David M.

I figured Ted would know if this kind of odd cut on the corners was normal.