NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default delete- (rambling thoughts thread)......have at it.....

Posted By: PC

Daniel: if you think Americans are accelerating global warming by hundreds of thousands of years, show us the scientific literature. I would be glad to learn more about it.

And the only one taking shots here is YOU -- your Uncle George and "take it for a Yank" comments speak volumes about your real feelings towards the US (but you get credit for at least being honest in your disdain). In any event, I would hardly call my "arbitrary" reparations comment a shot against Australia generally, and to somehow equate that with a lack of appreciation for Australia's past support of the US is a nonsequitur.

Barry: I agree with your last post about years of bad decisions and bad policies, by both parties, being continued by the current administration. No argument here on that point. I just disagree that global warming is going to be somehow be reversed if industry standards are changed, or even that it is being dramatically accelerated due to current practices.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

pcreaven.

Maybe you should ask first also.....

My father is American born and raised, and currently lives here. My mother is Australian.
My dad's father, my grandfather, came over to the US towards the end of the second world war and joined the US army, became a ranger and highly decorated soldier, worked in intelligence directly under Eisenhower, and helped make what is better in this country.
My wife is american, my children are american, I have permanent residency, and if I don't have the right to show disdain for what I believe are agregious faults with my adopted homeland, then no-one does and lets all just put the cards down and agree to live in a fascist society.

I want to make things better, and part of that is letting it be known - in sometimes loud voice, how terrible some things are.
I believe it makes me a better American citizen, not a lesser one.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

In my crazy little mind I think threads like this can actually draw us closer together as a "card family". It takes differing views to make the world go around. I think we are all to blame for most stuff. This thread will not make it past this evening and I will shut it down in the morning, most likely. I see no harm in a thread like this every great once in a while. I don't see anyone in the thread just passing by, that I don't know of. No one has to open this thread if they don't want to. I think it's interesting to see how my card buddies think. So this is that one thread you can speak your mind about whatever you want to, as long as it's not personal, immature, attacks....It's everyone's right to disagree with each other..just keep it clean...and as courteous as possible.......best regards

Old 07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Industry has the ability to cut down the carbon dioxide that is polluting the atmosphere and destroying the protective ozone layer, but it is a very expensive proposition. Their lobbyists will have no part of it. Likewise, Americans consume way too much gasoline, and car emissions are also destroying the atmosphere. But all we do is keep using up precious oil, oil that has to be purchased from nations that support terrorism. It's a vicious cycle and we may never get out of it.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PStratton

someone please post a bender w/trees variation to make daniel feel better...

Old 07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Daniel: I really do not want to continue this line of discussion, as it is you who are bringing nationalities into this, and frankly, arguing with yourself. But I will point out that, among other statements on this board, you have described yourself as follows: "As an ozzie boy who has lived abroad in countries other than the US of A, and travelled reasonably extensively in life, you yanks just mystify me."

Old 07-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

That's right pcreaven.

Born in Australia.
Lived there most of my adult life - first 30 years.
Also lived in Israel for a year.
Have spent significant time travelling Asia, and Europe.
Have travelled through some 35 states in the USA.
And, been living here in the US the last 6 years.

What part of that background is so perplexing to you?

Clearly, you are not mystified by America's current path and thinking.
Quite clearly I am.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I knew I should have takent aht left turn at Albuquerque.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Joe B.- You learn something every day. If that story is not apochryphal about the archers, it is a great tale.
My favorite story which differentiates Yanks from others was told by Billy Crystal about The Bambino. He said 2 men, an American and Englishman got in to an argument. The Yank insulted the Englishman by saying "screw the King." The Englishmen hit back hard with the most biting comment he could say, "oh yeah, well, screw Babe Ruth." One man owed his position of prominence strictly to an accident of birth and tradition and had risen to his position of power irrespective of anything he had done other than his regal birth, while the Englishman disparaged a swash -buckling, bigger than life, drinking, womanizing, child-loving man who rose from the most meager of circumstances to ascend to his position strictly on his talents and abilities.
I think this story tells a lot...

Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Barry, you are correct. To substantially reduce industrial carbon dioxide emissions would have an enormous cost impact to the ecomomy. The same is true for automotive emissions.

However, although I am not convinced that it is a worthwhile project, the way to minimize our carbon dioxide emissions is to do the first thing first, then follow it with the next thing. This is underway.

The first thing is to follow the lead of Houston, Tx. and time the traffic lights in our cities to not impede the flow of traffic. Of course this has benefits beyond substantial carbon dioxide emission reduction, but that is ok.

The scond thing is to stop burning fuel to produce electricity. Bush has spoken about this with all of his renewable resources crap. But the big picture is that this can only be done by reinstituting our nuclear power plants and by funding research to develop better nuclear technology. Clearly, this can not be done by Thursday, but it can be started.

Here is where this thread has turned political. I am no longer talking about weather, I apologize. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Be well.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Every big city in the country, if not the world, is hopelessly overcrowded with traffic. And nearly every big city has this noxious cloud of C02 hanging over it; it's even visible in the hot weather. The damage it does is simply awful, but I don't believe a single one takes traffic congestion seriously. And that doesn't even take into account the wasted man hours sitting in one spot and barely moving, something that makes me nuts. All these things are contributing factors, but nothing is done about it.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Bob, It is a true story and the origin of the Finger. I enjoyed your story of the Babe too.
The origins of a word used very often in the english language goes something like this. If anyone saw the movie "Braveheart" you will remember that English Lords took a bride on here wedding day and had sex with her. The law that allowed that we called "Fornication Under the Consent of the King."

F for Fornication
U for Under
C for consent

Well you know the rest. Useless trivia clogging an other wise abnormal brain.

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: V117Collector

I think we should put a lock on it!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Does anyone have any idea how many buggy whip factories went out of business when they invented that new fangled automobile? I'm just curious? Anybody?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Administrator

lol!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Its political, Barry. You got to get Govt employees to do their job. There is typically no good reason why traffic lights should be improperly timed.

I think Houston's Mayor was Bill White. And before he was done improving traffic flow, safety and other stuff, he got over a billion $ from the Feds (our tax dollars) to improve things even more there.

This is fairly recent stuff. I think he started in 2004, was mostly done last year, but still has some things on going.

Every second you are needlessly sitting at a traffic light, you are wasting your time/getting 0 MPG/polluting the air/building your road rage/etc.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Has anyone been to Sin City? Being a history buff I uncovered that Vegas has the longest traffic lights waits in the U.S., you could just imagine the extreme rage.

It's funny to having extreme rage for only wanting to go forward!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

PC,

Both Time and Natural History did highly convincing secondary research articles on global warming and the greenhouse effect in the past six months; you could probably find these easily at your local library. The primary research, if you are interested in reading scientific/environmental journals, also is very compelling.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

The only this I can say is "ICE-AGE"! An neural phenomena what happens every 50,000 years, like clock work.

Man'kind is just speeding it up sins the industrial revaluation, which started in Europe.

"I like it cool, so it doesn't bug me at all."

Old 07-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I can't believe there has been a 118 off topic post with no gratuitous dog photos

Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Old 07-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Administrator

We had a mini Ice Age that lasted from 1300-1880's. The potato famine in Ireland was just 1 result. The reason we drink beer insted of wine was another cause. It was too cold to grow grapes in Northern Europe, so they made beer instead. Our Northern Europian ancestors migrated to America and continued the tradition. Thank the mini Ice Age for the 6 pack in your fridge.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Not meaning to be morbid, but I wonder how we'd know if a regular contributor here died. I'm thinking of the occasional post that is kind of an APB for someone - people looking for that person, etc. Answers come back about vacations, illnesses, etc, that have put someone out of contact temporarily. But if someone just kind of stops contributing outright, or dead-ends on a BST deal, do we ever consider that they may have died?

OK. So now global warming is starting to look like a topic with a little levity and lightness, isn't it? lol

Joann

Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

John: Time is generally not a good source on anything, but I had read the article nontheless. This National Academies summary is a better starting point: http://dels.nas.edu/basc/Climate-HIGH.pdf

All those articles establish is that the earth is warming, and that greenhouse gases contribute to global warming (hard to dispute either). But, there is no evidence that this warming is not due primarily to natural climactic change, and further, that there is any way to prevent it.

My personal view is that it is worth the effort to cut down on emissions, find alternate (non-fossil) fuel sources, and stop polluting the air -- if that stops global warming great, but there are other good reasons for making those changes.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Administrator

I am going with Jay's suggestion - stuff your pants with butterscotch pecan pie, and take the Albuquerque offramp.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I went to the all-star game and the entire weekend and had a blast.Not only is PNC park the best stadium in baseball but its also great to be surrounded by Pirates fans at a baseball game.

I also went to Fenway the week before but that was covered in another thread i started by mistake.

I didnt read much of this thread but i like it,probably will go over 1000 posts,and if it doesnt ill edit this to say a smaller number

Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Nature is over rated and this whole thread about the environment...yawn.

Important: Does anyone here believe that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes had that damn baby "Surie"?

I say: "nah", he's a freaking kook.

DJ

Old 07-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Sorry Joe,

Both stories are false. www.snopes.com is a great site to determine the truth of most such stories:

The Archers:

http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/pluckyew.htm

Orgin of the word F..K:

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.htm

Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

The internet was invented in 1968-ish. It was known as Arpanet back then, and used mainly by University Scientific professor types to gossip and compare notes.

....not that I could follow any of this thread, but I thought I'd drop that bit of trivia.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Well I know this was not a thread that suited everyone's tastes for sure, but before Leon shuts it, thanks to everyone for listening to my raves and rants. There was actually some pretty interesting stuff here. I'm sure the board will be back to normal today with lots of posts about vintage cards.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I agree - kind of nice to have the occasional "Pot Pourri" categroy, like on Jeopardy.

Joann

Old 07-15-2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I really don't know why they have to come to an end but they do. Maybe I will take a vote about one of these a month or something....gotta think about that. First and foremost this is vintage baseball card chatboard.....I do think it was fun seeing some off topic thoughts.....best regards