NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Happy Thanksgiving...need some extra cash?

Posted By: MW 

Although this is only tangentially related to vintage baseball cards, I still thought it might be interesting.

As the message title suggests, everyone can rake in the dough in only 4 easy steps:

Step 1: Purchase the #1 Issue of Sports Illustrated for $149.95 plus shipping. Since Sports Illustrated reprinted tens (hundreds?) of thousands of these magazines beginning a mere decade ago, finding them is easy. Buy hundreds if you like. And the best thing is that they're virtually indistinguishable from the originals. The link is provided below (last item in list).

https://www.timeinc.net/subs/secure/forms/si/ws01.html

Step 2: Remove the paper insert (Topps issued a foldout paper insert depicting pre-printed samples from the 1954 Series. All "cards" are paper thin like regular magazine pages).

Step 3: Cut out as many "Mint" condition cards as you like. Place cards in acrylic screwdowns and use rivets to seal them. Grade each card and place a label at the top.

Step 4: Sell the cards on eBay (examples are provided below)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1972507820&category=16271

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1972133066&category=16271

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1972506083&category=16271

Additional notes: Thus far, this eBay seller has received over $877.99 in bids on the dozen or so items he has listed. That's a handsome profit of $784.04. Oh, and remember to make the auctions private otherwise those who are bidding will find out what they're really buying and how much money they're wasting.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

It has a little cardboard tag early in the magazine which offers a year's subscription for $6 (or something like that--many magazines have them). Lemke said the reprints don't have them.

I sure hope not, because I paid $350 for mine, 3=4 years ago. It's really gorgeous.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Old 11-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

Great, now I have to go check mine that I bought a few years ago from Slater's Americana for $200. It certainly had the appeal of being 45+ years old.

Old 11-29-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

1) Learned something new. I was unaware that SI Reprinted that issue. To help prevent deception, someone should examine a few originals and reprints to determine which qualites that distinguish the card sets. For example, even if the cards are similar, the printing and paper are likely distinguishable. The disemination of this information, including through my glorious and piercing newsletter, would likely squash any ilicit market.

2) Likely, I won't be able to cash on this apparently lucrative new market. As I gaze my eyes across the domestic landscape, it is apparent that I have no say in the magazines to which my household subscribes: Living with Martha Stewart, Rosie and worse. I have a free subscription to 'The Glove Collector,' but that is a fleeting and lonely sprinkle in the desert of Rosies.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Take it back, I don't get a single magazine or even auction catalog to my home. Everything goes to the office or POB.

Old 11-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

..the fact that these folks along with their good buds "kardz-r-us" "PSA-1" et....sell from outta space!

these are the kinds of things noted for locations of seller!

Old 11-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Julie --

You are quite right that the originals have the subscription insert. But keep in mind that some subscribers or newsstand buyers probably pulled their inserts out and discarded them.

When I'm looking for original first issue SI's, I will only buy them if one of three situations exists: (1) they have the original mailing label, (2) they come with the original white mailing envelope, or (3) they have wear commensurate with a 1954 magazine.

As far as the 1954 baseball insert is concerned, they are, to the best of my knowledge, identical.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Administrator

David --

The Standard Catalog indicates that SI only reprinted its #1 issue within the last year or two. This may be incorrect. In the early 1990s, we were contacted by various wholesalers and offered #1 issues in large quantities (and in mint condition) for approximately $100 each. The "rumor" was that they were from a warehouse find of original issues. I cannot recall whether they had the original subscription card.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Though unscientific, there's always the smell test. A genuine 48 year old magazine tends to smell 48 years old. I'm not sure if forgers have yet developed fake must. Any thoughts on this subject, Leon?

Old 11-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

MW, I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Phil Regly telling me that there are no #1's with a mailing lable on the cover. Only issue #2 and beyond. I know that no #1 I have ever owned had a mailing lable on it and Phil is the expert on SIs.

Is Phil even around anymore? He was one of my partners in crime at big shows that I would set up at.

Jay

Old 11-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

Phil is still aroung. He is working for the City of Irving California. He was at the show in Orange County CA. I believe that he will be at the Cow Palace San Francisco show in Feb. He still deals in publications.

Old 11-29-2002, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Albie O'Hanian

I know mine passed the smell test at the time. I feel a little better.

Old 11-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Administrator

If there is a decent size show in the Bay Area, then Phil will be there since his parents live there. He was probably set up at Macrae's show since he set up there every year that I set up there.

Jay

Old 11-30-2002, 08:22 AM
Administrator

don't have the subscription insert, you should at least add that those which DO are genuine.

Yes, the cards are identical. And so is the splash the bat makes on the cover

And I've never seen an issue #1 with a mailing label, either.

It really ticks me off that I liked a magazine so much i went to the trouble and expense) of buying it in really mint condition, and now will have to sell it for half price!

Old 11-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Here's a question for the board: Do reprints ever raise the price of the originals?

Old 11-30-2002, 03:19 PM
Administrator

not really. Almost every significant set has been reprinted and prices didn't make any discernable jump when they came out. It may help create some new interest, nothing that willc ause prices to change noticably.

Jay

Old 11-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As one of the pioneers in "smellology" I have stated the following previously :
Magazines put in peculiar bodily places will get a 48 year old smell in about 30 minutes
but that's kinda gross.....oh well...in all
actuality I would believe a 48 year old mag might have a slight odor to it.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Administrator

There is a world famous dealer in ancient pottery, where forgery is a problem. He said said that one of his tests for authenticty is to taste (lick) the item.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Jay & Julie --

Granted, the vast majority of SI #1's were sent in the larger envelopes, but (and I may be mistaken), I seem to recall a few that had mailing labels.

Old 11-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

According to Phil Regly they were either mailed in envelopes or sold on the newstand. The second issue is the first with a mailing lable.

Jay

Old 12-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

for about $75 each (might have been a little more). They stated that they were actual #1 issues, not reprints.

Old 12-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Jay --

What do I win if I can produce one with a mailing label?