NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Default Original negative from historic event, or Type 1 photo of same?

Pick any historic event in baseball history... Babe Ruth's called shot, Jackie Robinson's first day in the Major Leagues, Mazeroski's home run, etc. Now, which is more desirable and why: an original negative that shot the event, or a Type 1 photo of the same event. I can think of a few arguments for both. Discuss .

This list may help:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...eague-baseball
Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Graig Kreindler

Cool question, Andrew. I guess my biggest concern would be, is it for display purposes, or moreso owning a piece of such historical significance? If the it's the former, then I think a photo is gonna win out 9 out of 10 times.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

I've always felt that the greatest image of a historic baseball event doesn't capture the event directly. I'm referring to George Silk's image of the 1960 World Series for LIFE (disclosure: I own it). What photographer would leave the stadium for a shot of the final inning of the World Series? Silk missed Mazeroski's home run, but got something much better. I think it's one of the greatest baseball images ever taken.

As to your question, while the negative was "there" at the event, there are only a handful of negatives that would sell for more than a vintage print--I'm thinking of Nat Fein's negative of 'Three Bows Out' and Conlon's negative of Ty Cobb sliding into Jimmy Austin.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:57 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Here is the image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.38.52 PM.jpg (17.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm neither a photograph nor a negative collector, but I'll take an odd approach and say what immediately jumps out at me. The negative was in the camera and the image it contains was created as the historical event happened. It was there, an actual witness to the event. The photograph itself was printed elsewhere (I assume) and, literally speaking, has no true attachment to the occurrence itself. So, give me the negative.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM

I think the negative would be the most historical item as it captured the actual event. The photo would be the best display of that historic event, but once removed from the event.

Rob M.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphere and ash View Post
Here is the image
Always felt this was a phenomenal shot.

Last edited by TCMA; 03-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:15 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

OK heres another angle on the topic. I collected a load of original 35mm slides of Mark McGwire. I was told that since I have the original negative I own the rights. So is that the case with old negatives?

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
OK heres another angle on the topic. I collected a load of original 35mm slides of Mark McGwire. I was told that since I have the original negative I own the rights. So is that the case with old negatives?
A strong no. Owning the negatives or transparencies in and of themselves does not give you any copyright. If you took them yourself you would own the rights unless you sold them. If you purchased negatives or transparencies from the person or entity that owned the rights and they signed them over to you you would own the rights. Otherwise they would be retained either by the photographer or the entity that owned the rights. A general rule for copyright is that the copyright is retained for 85 years after the image could have first appeared in a publication. This is not hard and fast, but it gives you an idea what you are working with. The copyright can be renewed, but with many photos it is not done. The estate of an individual or photographer can still control images of that person or photographer. This can be seen with the photographs taken by Ansel Adams, being controlled by one entity. There is also an opposite to this. One of the 500 lb. gorillas, Getty Images, tries to claim copyright over images where they have not acquired rights and sell them as if they do. The 85 years applies within the U.S. The copyright period in Europe is much shorter. I believe it is 65 years. Another consideration is licensing. The major sports leagues retain permanent rights over the logos and uniform styles of all of their teams. Even if you purchased the rights from the photographer you would still need a license to commercially sell photos that display the logos or distinct uniform styles of any team. The next time you see a pro athlete in an ad on t.v. pay attention to the uniforms. You will see a lot of commercials with generic uniforms with similar colors to the pro uniform, but no real logos. I will not even go into orphan images, of which I own more than a few.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I personally would prefer the negative. I could still make a print for my own personal use in the size that I would like to have for display.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Bry@n

Great question Andrew.

I only have a handful of negatives (the 1904 Pirates Opening Day flag raising and game http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=1904) and am still pretty new to photos. I have to say that I definitely prefer the Type 1 photos. I don't really know what to do with the negatives that I have but I really enjoy looking at my photos. Sure, the Type 1 wasn't actually at the game, but it is still a part of history as it brought that historic moment to the millions of people who listened to, watched, or read about the game that just took place. I have never developed a photo, but I believe there is also some skill involved in that part of the process, which makes Type 1s the fullest expression of the photographer's intentions (assuming the photographers developed their own photos) and therefore a small step beyond the composition of the shot and the camera operation involved in recording the image on the negative.

Last edited by Jobu; 03-02-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Default Original negative from historic event, or Type 1 photo of same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Another consideration is licensing. The major sports leagues retain permanent rights over the logos and uniform styles of all of their teams. Even if you purchased the rights from the photographer you would still need a license to commercially sell photos that display the logos or distinct uniform styles of any team.

Not to mention you would ALSO need some form of agreement with any players depicted in said image, or their estates, before selling prints in quantity. Everybody has to get their cut or you’re opening yourself up to trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TCMA; 03-01-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

Now that's a difficult choice.

I'm pretty much agreed with almost everyone else. I'd like the negative as a piece of history. And I could always make a print or two for personal use. (Not sure just what I'd do if I got a really important image, that might be worth trying to get rights to. )

But yes, a negative is really hard to display, so if that's what I wanted, I'd have to go with the photo.

Steve B
Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Would you rather have the Mona Lisa or the paintbrush?

The photo.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:31 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

The photo.
I think this is a poor analogy. You are talking about the tool versus the final product which is not the same for photography. The camera is the tool. Using your parameters, try one of these:

Would you rather have Conlon's, Bain's, Eisenstadt's or Adams' camera or an original print they created in the darkroom?

Would you rather have the artist sketch for a painting or the painting or perhaps would you rather have Rodin's original plasters for 'The Thinker' or one of the 5 original bronzes where he oversaw the casting?

Last edited by Michael B; 03-02-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:44 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Is the paintbrush authenticated?