NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Mark Medlin

Default Dotta auction in Pennsylvania

Hello,

Dotta auction services had an auction today with a focus on sports cards. If it was someone in this group that consigned with them, can you please contact me? I have some concerns I would like to discuss if so.

Mark
Old 10-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Hi Mark:

I was at the Dotta sale today and have been attending there for 10+ years. Jim Dotta is about as honest as they come. What are your concerns?

Rob
Old 10-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Luke G.

I was present today and have been attending the sales for a long time. Today's sale seemed fine to me.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Mark Medlin

I bid using their on line bidding. I had 3 different lots I was high bidder on, but they were not accepted by the auctioneer. My non winning bids were all accepted, but any that I entered that were high bid were not. I don't question the auctioneers integrity at all. I only question there use of the invaluable real time bidding. It seems as though they failed to check what the high bids were on the invaluable site a few times. In particular in the 1947-1966 exhibit lot. 1953 bowman radio and tv lot. And one lot of commons. The software accepted my bid and registered as submitted. But was never acknowledged by the auctioneer. I called invaluable and they stated what I already knew, that my bids were submitted but not acknowledged. I then called Dotta, wasn't expecting anything to change, but wanted them to know about the issue for future. Instead of being met with any appreciation or apology, the woman just proceeded to tell me it was my fault and that auctions move fast. Very poor answer. I participate in many auctions. Have for decades and decades. The fault was theirs and rather than any admission or desire to resolve for future, she wanted to ignore the root problem and cast stones. I will not participate in another Dotta auction.

Last edited by Mdmtx; 10-01-2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 10-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Scott Russell

Ask to talk to Jim next time. I've been going there for close to 20 years and I don't think he would blow you off as he doesn't want to be wasting money on this service if it isn't working properly.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I went once and was stunned at the prices they got on the vintage baseball lots. The did have some football and basketball cards that seemed to get soft prices, but I was shocked at how strong the baseball sales were. The buyers premium is a kicker as well. It's a much different feeling buying something and then getting another 13% added on, as opposed to getting some ebay bucks, or making a straight purchase at a show.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Mark Medlin

Thanks for the feedback Scott, but I don't believe it was the software. I have used it on a number of auctions recently. I am guessing the auctioneer pulled the trigger before looking at the online bidding. I could definitely be mistaken, as this is just an assumption, but it is the correct one in my mind. That was the intent of the call, so they could evaluate the problem. Instead I was dismissed out of hand. On one particular item my non-recognized bid was 50 bucks I was prepared to bid at least 100. It sold for 45. How many times did this happen? Did other online bidders have the same experience? What was the cost to the consignors? We will likely never know because of the rude manner in which the lady decided to address the situation.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:50 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

13% bp? Probably the lowest in the hobby

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Luke G.

There was an assistant manning the computer (internet bids) right next to the auctioneer as the lots were being auctioned off. Some online bids did win today.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Luke G.

Yes, 13% is not that bad these days.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:09 PM

The Brockelman auction that closes in about a week has 12-1/2% bp.

Brian
Old 10-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Scott Russell

Birmingham Auctioneers is 10%
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 10-01-2016, 06:16 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Thanks for the feedback Scott, but I don't believe it was the software. I have used it on a number of auctions recently. I am guessing the auctioneer pulled the trigger before looking at the online bidding. I could definitely be mistaken, as this is just an assumption, but it is the correct one in my mind. That was the intent of the call, so they could evaluate the problem. Instead I was dismissed out of hand. On one particular item my non-recognized bid was 50 bucks I was prepared to bid at least 100. It sold for 45. How many times did this happen? Did other online bidders have the same experience? What was the cost to the consignors? We will likely never know because of the rude manner in which the lady decided to address the situation.
I understand, and it sucks to get crap customer service, that's why I suggested asking for Jim directly. Next time I talk with him I'll mention this.