NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Steven

Default Why do you collect baseball cards?

I typed this into the search and no results were found. I just want to read how others feel about this. Do baseball cards rekindle memories, remind you of freinds/family, to make money, feel young or all of the above?

Recently my wife and I bought (2) e107s...the plan was to actually invest in these cards as the economy is crap...I have NEVER invested in a card and Ive collected for 27 years. But, we decided to do this. When they came in the mail I gave her the box to open and she sat in "the chair" and opened them very delicately. When the first card came out I saw her excitement and got a bit giggly myself. I watched her eyes get big with a big "Wow" come from her mouth followed with "That sure looks nicer than a 1" (You gotta love her!)..and felt like i was 7 yrs old again buying my first 35 cent wax pack.

The cool thing about cards is I also had the same feeling when I purchased my first kaline, clemens or gehrig cards...they make me feel like a kid again and I still have yet to find something else that has that effect. I carry my new cards around w/ me, they get new "neighborhoods" and places and eventually they find their permanent home. They tie me to my childhood, history of the game and our country and has always been a way for me to bond with my father and now father-in-law.

That is why I collect baseball cards. Id like to hear about your reasons or you can call me a sissy boy and move on with life all the same.

Last edited by rainier2004; 10-14-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Rob Miller

I collect for many reasons but first and foremost because I have a deep love and appreciation for the history of the game. I feel collecting cards connects me to the game I love so much.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

To pick up chicks...

Kidding, haha, I usually collect because I love history and baseball. Those two subjects tie together with this hobby.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Johnny S

It's fun and is a much healthier escape from reality than hookers and blow, seriously......
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Joe

Collecting picture of dead men is sure a great pick up line for chicks. Try it some time.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Collecting picture of dead men is sure a great pick up line for chicks. Try it some time.
I assume so, girls love that kind of stuff!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Tied my two passions together

baseball and marketing. Have only collected t206s, but would love to have been in the room when the marketing guy said "we could get the kids hooked on tobacco by putting pictures of their favorite players in the packs. We'll make a fortune!"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Good question. For the most part, I'd say the 'feeling like a kid again' aspect is the strongest (for me). I love sorting through cards, trading, scanning, displaying, attending shows and talking about them (Net54). The fact that they have financial value is nice, but doesn't drive me. I bought some cards 20 years ago 'as an investment'. I did flip them years later for a gain, but didn't enjoy it. Those cards were never 'mine'.
When my kids see me with my cards, they see the enjoyment. I love it when they say I should grow up...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Neal

For me why I love collecting so much it takes me away from the hectic rat race of work,etc. It is my private time to enjoy and relax collecting the immortals of our past. I actually envision me going back in time to the roaring 20s or 30s and seeing these ballplayers and all close up and see a time in life when things were I guess better off perhaps??? Overall enjoyable hobby and quite relaxing to me!!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
J@RR0D

My wife would say it's because "I like old things". Same reason I write with a fountain pen.

I open 80's packs to feel like a kid again.
I collect vintage for the nostalgia/history of the game.
I open modern to make money to buy more vintage.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
When my kids see me with my cards, they see the enjoyment. I love it when they say I should grow up...
Thats awesome!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default collecting

Steven, great thread by the way.

I've collected cards ever since I was eight years old and I'm 32 now, so its been something I've done for most of my life. I've always loved sports and in the past five years or so, my passion for the hobby has exploded. I don't really buy cards for their monetary value, but do love to find the great deal. I do occasionally flip cards to make a little money to help in other areas of my collection.

All I can really say is that I've loved collecting since I was young, going to trade night at Jim's Dugout being able to see other's collections and money never being a factor at all, just liking certain players. One huge thing for me was being able to buy certain cards like Walter Payton and Wayne Gretzky's rookie because when I was young, that was only a pipedream and not reality, owning them that is. Every once in a while I go through my cards and admire them and pick up the Payton or other like cards and still marvel at them like they are a million bucks...gotta love it.

Overall, it's a hobby that I love and enjoy and there is so much to learn about it and has a great following as well. I can't say how happy I am to have found Net54 as are many others are as well...such a great site to learn and purchase cards otherwise I could not have.

Mike
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
D Marvin

I started collecting cards as way to spend more time with father. He was a die had dodger fan so as way to needle him I started collecting any and everything new york yankee. We were able to share a lot of laughs and alot of great memories. After 15 years I had to liquidate my entire collection to cover his funeral expenses.

I just started thinking about collecting cards again after 11 years away from it. Reading this board has actually helped me find that kid inside again. I think thats the main reason I do it. Its just some pictures on cardboard but they all carry a story.

(sorry if I got off track there)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
M!ke S@il£r

Collecting post-war cards is a hobby. Collecting pre-war cards is a disease that doesn't appear to have a cure. My wife has nearly the same reaction when I open one of my packages. Except she channels all her positive energy into raising one eyebrow, grinding her teeth and asking "now how much did that one cost?" I guess collecting cardboard pictures of dead sports figures doesn't capture everyone's imagination.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
One huge thing for me was being able to buy certain cards like Walter Payton and Wayne Gretzky's rookie because when I was young, that was only a pipedream and not reality, owning them that is. Every once in a while I go through my cards and admire them and pick up the Payton or other like cards and still marvel at them like they are a million bucks...gotta love it.
You GOTTA love it!

97man:
I dont think any of us are on track...its amazing that old cardboard can help w/ a loss as well.

Last edited by rainier2004; 10-14-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Ahhhh....?

......Because I'm not gay? Really because it's as close to a time machine that I have found. Aloha, Dave.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM
John

The cards are a tangible connection to the game I enjoy. For example, it was neat for me to read about the Merkle game and then go out and be able to buy one of his cards. Especially as you get to Pre WW1, it's really cool seeing the old uniforms and gloves.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
J.O.N

THE RUSH!

Yeah you know what I mean.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Curt

I don't know if there is a way to fully explain it. I'm sure there are forces here that are in part controlling some impulses or behaviors.

I enjoy collecting cards, but I think sometimes it's more of a chase or a challenge. Trying to find all of a certain type or player has some exciting factors. Spending money on these cards seems irrational though, as there are probably better things to spend my money on at this point in my life.

Part of me thinks that maybe this "investment", at least the monetary portion, may pay off for me or my family at a later point. However, I collect what I enjoy and don't worry so much about the resale value. That is evidenced by my extensive player collection of Steve Garvey!

I do love looking through boxes of cards that I have not looked at in a while. It rekindles the excitement of opening packs of cards, which I rarely do anymore.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
R Dixon

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
It's fun and is a much healthier escape from reality than hookers and blow, seriously......
I feel ya Johnny
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Matt

Default I collect because....

I love history, baseball, and the 'thrill of the hunt'......in no particular order.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM
JeR@Me

Default Tell em Sammy...

..."Beisbol (cards) has been very very good to me."
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Jim

Default I don't

collect cards, I collect baseball ephemera of winning pitchers in the world series and perfect no-no hurlers.

Last edited by pitchernut; 10-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Default One player,many reasons

I collect Dots Miller stuff because...

1- I collect old cards
2- I collect Pirates stuff
3- I collect players born in the same town as I was
4- I collect players who have six relatives in commons with me

That last part narrows it down to just John Barney "Dots" Miller
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I'm just in it for the hookers and blow.

....wait.

what?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM
Bruce Babcock

The food service quality at the National.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
When the first card came out I saw her excitement and got a bit giggly myself. I watched her eyes get big with a big "Wow" come from her mouth followed with "That sure looks nicer than a 1" (You gotta love her!)..
WOW!! I hope you realize how lucky you are!! I'm getting married in a few months and am pretty much resigned to knowing I'll be opening my cards in a dark empty room by myself for fear my wife will see the eBay invoice pop out.

I'm 34, have collected my entire life and I think you nailed it with your comment about first Kaline, Gehrig etc. It's ALL about that feeling! When I was a small kid it was about the gum and getting Dodgers cards (my dad was a Brooklyn fan).. always hoping to score a Garvey. Once I came to my geographic senses, it was about getting Giants cards and anyone whose career ERA was under 3.50 or batting average above .300 (that same dad tought me stats well). When 1987 rolled around, it was about snatching up all the Topps Will Clarks, Wally Joyners, Mark McGwires, Jose Cansecos in sight (what an incredible set at the time). Over the past 10-15 years, the cards have generally become nicer (i.e. that first Mays, Mantle, Mathewson, etc) and I'm driven to collect them by a love of baseball history, but that same feeling holds true when I open a padded envelope. It's all about getting hold of something that perfectly "hits the spot" at that particular moment in your life. That said, I'll still always be able to connect directly to that boyhood feeling when I flip through my old binders and come across a page full of '88 Greenwells.

Getting good deals is a distant 2nd to me, but is also very fun. Lots of fair and even great deals on N54, and I love buying cards others seem to dismiss.. especially great looking OC/MC qualified cards. My taste is not always in line with the mainstream on them, which in my opinion makes for a lot of "good" deals. Also always very nice to buy from good people and ones you know really appreciate how much you liked the card. I've had some pretty cool transactions like that on N54 (even on eBay). Really enjoy that about this board.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 PM
I@n Cl@rke

[QUOTE=mrmopar;931874]That is evidenced by my extensive player collection of Steve Garvey!QUOTE]

Ha! I just bought a 1975 Topps Garvey for like $1.75. I love that card!!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:29 AM

I collect for "shimming" purposes. The window on my old apartment door kept rattling so I stuck a 64 Aaron in the pane crevice. My coffee table has a slightly short leg, so I put a 71 Vida Blue and a 59 Killebrew under it. A stack of 82 Quisenberrys fixed the clawfoot bathtub's drainage problem. Simple solutions for simple problems.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:47 AM

I'm gonna start collecting vintage cards since I feel like modern cards are not for me because I know a lot about the modern players and such but not the past. I want to learn more about the game's past. I'm 19 yrs old and started loving baseball since my first time going to a baseball game weeks after moving here in the US from the Philippines 8 yrs ago. I still love it up to this date, but have really no idea about its history. And I feel like I'm missing a lot of things related to baseball.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
WOW!! I hope you realize how lucky you are!! I'm getting married in a few months and am pretty much resigned to knowing I'll be opening my cards in a dark empty room by myself for fear my wife will see the eBay invoice pop out.
I am very aware of how lucky I am. My step-mother, the 4th greatest lady the world trailing wife, mother, and grandmother, wont even stay in the room if bb cards is brought up...the most grief I get is when I have to pickup multiple ot shifts to pay a recent h/s auction or some e145s....But her perspective is wrecked w/ her first 2 cards being e107s!

Tinola:
Collecting became part of my education...First seeing a set I liked, wondering who this cap anson or waddell character is or other players, then look them up and educate myself and finally link them into the foundation of baseball history Ive been building for 30 years...no rush!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I always love the thought that there is some old timer out there somewhere that at one point got excited (or upset) that he got this card out of the pack. I mean I know it sound simple but every card was a mystery to someone until the popped that pack.

I love to think think that maybe they thought "Yes! I love this guy" or "Oh man! This guy sucks!" or more often than not "Who the heck is this guy?".

No matter what the response I not hold that same card in my hand decades later and probably decades from now someone who I'll never meet will hold the came card in thier hand and think the same thing.

Drew
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Tim Caravella

Some great reasons posted many of which are similiar to mine. The love and appreciation of the game of baseball, its ties to our history and its evolution with our culture, the community of collectors sharing stories and helping one another (sometimes), my desire to know as much about my team as possible and hold a connection to its past, and my wish to have something to pass down to my grandchildren (when and if I have any) that will show them a link to myself and what I love.

Hope that's not too corny...

Tim
Old 10-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Some collectors (Charlie Sheen comes to mind) enjoy both cards and the hookers and blow.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Curt

I've noticed someone trying to sell a 1971 Topps set that they claim was once owned by Sheen. Now the asking price of this particular set is about 5 times what a similar set might typically go for. I have never bothered to email the seller and ask why the fact that Charlie Sheen owning the set makes it 5X more valuable than a set not owned by him. It keeps showing up week after week...
Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Fred

I think Pete summed it up nicely... for the chicks! Yeah, as JD and a few others have mentioned it's hard to beat a pick up line like "ya wanna see my Polar Bear Johnson?"

Who the heck can resist collecting old pictures of dead guys? If you truly love the history of the game then collecting this stuff is for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Its fun.
I feel like a bit of a historian.
It caters to my slow, methodical, researching side.
It connects me, a bit, to my youth.
It connects me, a bit, to my grandfather who was a ballplayer.
It connects me, a bit, as a fan because my "list" follows how I follow the game.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Larry

The cards connect you to the player, and take you back to the time of their issuance--they are truly the history of the game you can hold right in your hands!

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Primarily the history, not of baseball per se, but the card. Imagining the life it had from the press to 100+ years later in my hand. To make it that long intact. I like old things.

Secondly their beauty (t206). I am a graphic designer and love everything about the old methods used to manufacture them. Man these cards are purddy.

Third. I like the challenge of working to complete something.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
It's cheaper too!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM
$teve O.

I collect because I like baseball and history.I stopped collecting when I was 16,in the early '80's.My dad was into cars,and I followed his footsteps.From then on my hobby was cars.I built street rods,customs,drag cars, restored antiques.I built a small shop at my house.I would work on cars as my full time job,then come home and work on freinds cars and my own projects.After 25 years of that I became very burned out.About 5 years ago a guy I work with and I started talking about collecting when we were younger.We went to a local mall show,and I've been hooked ever since.My full time job is still working on cars,but baseball collecting is my hobby.It relaxes me and I enjoy it.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM

It's iN me DNA