NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default VERY interesting auction

Posted By: Ben 

I must say, I ALMOST took the plunge on this one, but it definitely seemed too good to be true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1976059974&category=31719

Oh well, someone used BIN just seconds after I came across it. man, 22 OJ's inluding Anson, 2 Keefes, 3 Brouthers, and so much more. My gut tells me these aren't genuine. please tell me I'm right, otherwise, that would have been the steal of a lifetime!

Old 12-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

These cards look like they are pasted on brand new blue oak tag like the kind used in grade schools nationwide. Moreover, the oak tag is a rich unfaded blue.

How many of you remember this stuff from when you were a kid -- or from your kids? The color fades in five seconds when placed in the light. This stuff looks deep blue.

So -- either it was kept in a dark closet forever, or it was just made yesterday. In which case, what idiot would paste real cards onto anything these days?

Now fake cards, however, paste 'em anywhere you like.

Too good to be true....

Old 12-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 12-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

I had my cursor planted firmly over the "buy it now" icon for several minutes, experiencing a state of existential anguish

... should I do it...no, they have to be fake...but if they aren't, this would be the deal of a lifetime... ya Ben, thats why it is too good to be true...

and by the time I hit the refresh icon, someone had usd the BIN. I didn't know whether to bang my head against my desk or to breathe a sigh of relief.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

In these types of cases it's prudent to compare the seller's cards with the cards at the Library of Congress' baseball card site. At least compare checklists .... A large percentage of the "could be real, could be old reprint, I'm not an expert" cards are copies of the LOC's images ... When the seller's images are of resonable size (bigger than in this auction), it's usually easy to identify the LOC reprints. The LOC's cards are lower grade ond often have idiosynchratic stains, marks or such damage. I'm fairly certain that the LOC hasn't had a recent garage sale, allowing the cards to show up on eBay and Yahoo.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

These cards are replicas of the LOC cards. I checked the following poses and they matched perfectly.
1. Anson
2. Brouthers catching
3. Keefe batting

Too good to be true? You bet
later brian

Old 12-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

So, does the seller bother to print out the replicas, paste them on a cardboard backing, paste them on blue paper and photograph them? Or is it all done electronically, and he sends you nothing, not even reprints?

Old 12-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Are the LOC images in color? The thing that looks good about these are the different shades in the different cards, kind of what you see in any mixed group. The central image is a flattened Old Judge pack, very similar to what that fellow from Argentina(Rommani?) has listed on ebay now. You have to be skeptical about something like this but the scan sure looks good.

Old 12-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/bbhtml/bbhome.html

As the description says, the cards were once owned by the poet Carl Sandberg