NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2002, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default 1954 SI Versus Reprint

Posted By: David 

I have not owned Sports Illustrated #1 or the recent reprints. However, my guess is that the original Magazine/cards are phototengravings and the modern reprints are lithographs. Now, if you don't know how to tell the difference between photoengraving and lithography, that's because you were too cheap to buy my book.

Old 11-30-2002, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Most people poo-poo or get bored to tears by my insesent printing theory/history (I admit the insesent part), but it's in cases like this where I get the last laugh.

Old 11-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

David,

If you are a writer, then you are an educator. As an educator myself, I am dismayed that you ridicule people who have not learned from you or haven't decided to learn from you. One of the early lessons an educator should understand is that once you humiliate a student, you have lost that student.

The question you must now consider is are you a writer/educator or are you just someone who likes to flaunt his knowledge. I hope you decide to become the former. You must realize that not everyone may possess the passion that you have in your particular field. However, he/she may change his/her mind in the future. And it would be refreshing to know that you will still be there, regardless of when this student decides that it is time to learn the skills you have acquired. You will be willing and eager to shower this student with your expertise, rather than ridicule because he/she has waited until then to decide to learn. Because by doing this, you will not only educate but you will also grow in your own right. And isn't this the type of result that you truly wished for when you originally wrote the article?

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 11-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Administrator

1) I definitely like to flaunt.

2) The book has been for sale for 2 years, and was well advertised here, in my newsletter and elsewhere-- so, sorry if I don't shed a tear for those who were unwilling to buy the book but now complain that I won't tell them what's in it.

3) I gave free copies to those who supported my old newsletter.

4) I bet that I've given out more practical authentication information in my free newsletter than in the history of Beckett and Tuff Stuff combined.

5) Most people on this board still won't buy the book, and, three monthes from now, when a similar subject comes up I will say, "That was covered in my book" and we'll have to go through this again.

6) As I bet Bob Lemke will attest, most trading card collectors don't really want to learn how to judge the authenticity of a card-- that would be too much work. It's so much easer to depend on grading card companies.

7) I described how to identify photoengraving twice on this board (with pictures), once in conjunction with the Fro Joy Babe Ruth, but the information was generally dismissed as irrelevent.

8) Most people who deal with me personally, via email or in person, know that I'm more than helpful and accesable in these types of areas. Locally, in Seattle, I regularly give free print an photograph examinations to those who stop by my office.

9) I definitely like to flaunt.

Old 11-30-2002, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...I have to agree that David has been very forthcoming with his information in previous postings, especially in regards to his publication. As a fellow Seattle/Puget Sounder, I've actually met him in person and he is more than willing to talk the topic.

What is curious about this posting is that, well... It just seems to me that a good number of people on this board who like to consider themselves "teachers" or "educators" of others here, often do it in a very deameaning, sometimes ridiculing manner WHILE they are "teaching" or "educating".

At least David waits until after the dust settles, if even that is the case...frankly, I feel as if I could pick up the phone and ask him a question whenever I want, and talk with him as an equal, even though his knowledge may exceed mine. That is a rare quality.

Old 12-01-2002, 12:16 AM
Administrator

For the record-- while everything I said in my earlier post was correct, I understood and understand that Cy was offering a sincere and thoughtful point of view. I also know for a fact that I can be a smart ass-- sadly, that's not likely to change any time soon, as I've been told I was one for nearly as long as I can remember.

And to make proper amends, I will show how to tell the difference between a photoengraving and a lithograph in the next newsletter. So get your 54 Sports Illustrateds ready.

Old 12-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

If someone on this board bought one of the SI reprints or some other piece of garbage, then complained that no one on the board would share knowledge with them when they asked about printing processes, it would be a different story - to the best of my knowledge this has never happened.

It doesn't matter where people go to learn, as long as they do it - I've gotten great information from David any time I asked, and also from his books, and also from other sources. the people buying garbage like the SI reprints and Libertyforall stuff aren't seeking information prior to purchase.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I just went through my old newsletters, and the subjected of differentiating between lithography and photoengravings was covered at least once there-- so, I'm not going to cover it in the next newsletter. The newsletter barely got and gets any support, so I feel absolutley no guilt when people now complain that I don't diseminate information. While there were a few loyal supporters of the newsletter (from regular collectors to a few well known folks), most everyone else (including most, but not all, on this board) has never lifted a finger. This explains why I get touchy in the extreme when someone accuses me of not contributing information to the hobby, and why the newsletter goes on frequent vacations.