NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2022, 11:44 AM
J@E R1T0

Default What card would you arrange financing to buy?

Interesting convo the other day among several long time collectors. I'm interested to know what this forum thinks...

Would you buy a card > $1,000 (or $10K, or whatever threshold you set) that you can't pay for in the near future, i.e. use a credit card or otherwise arrange financing, because the card is rare or its one you've always wanted in that particular condition or grade? If so, do you have any terms like, 1) must have the ability to pay off in six months, or 2) the interest rate must be below x%, or 3) its an item that you feel you can flip and make back all your money plus any interest?

Some have deeper pockets than others, but a few friends admitted to making payments for a long period of time to get their Cobb or Ruth or Jordan. Which card is the one you would honestly go into debt for? Not taking about some one time purchase from a desperate seller, but a card at fair market value. Any thoughts to share?

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 10-17-2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Title
Old 10-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

None!
Old 10-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Drew W@i$e

None. Save up and buy it later.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:55 AM
Al Richter

Old 10-17-2022, 11:57 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

None. I’m not going into debt for a cardboard picture. I don’t buy anything I cannot afford. No more than a small fraction of cash on hand should be spent on toys.

Good luck to those who bet more than the entirety of their resources on a card bubble.

Last edited by G1911; 10-17-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If you're thinking about financing a card. It might be a better idea to sell every card you have in order to buy the card you so want. If you have to finance a card you cant afford the card. Sell what you have and then use the funds to buy.

Last edited by Johnny630; 10-17-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:04 PM
Michael Bales

No debt on cards. Have a card budget and stick to it. The temptation is to strong to go wild and get in trouble.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:06 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I love my wife, I love my life. None!

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Ben North

I have personally made deals that included me making a few payments over a couple months. I have also sold cards the same way. I have only done this with a few people I have known in the hobby for several years.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Man.

After all of our marvelous disputations about cashing out your 401k to buy cardboard, I figured there would be more takers here.

Plus you’ve got all of the new fancy vaults with their lending features that seem so enticing to lever up to buy some exciting pieces!!

Naturally, I’m in the “no bloody way” camp.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 12:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default No, to financing but....

Terry Knouse Sr. sold me some great stuff (Just So etc..) around 2000, at a National. I didn't have the money at the time but had a great outsides sales IT job and knew it would be coming in. I asked if I could pay him for around 16k in cards, in 90 days. He said sure, take as long as you need to, and gave me the cards to take home. I think I repaid him in one month. Again, I believe that was the first time I ever met him. But to answer the question, no.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:14 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
None. I’m not going into debt for a cardboard picture. I don’t buy anything I cannot afford. No more than a small fraction of cash on hand should be spent on toys.

Good luck to those who bet more than the entirety of their resources on a card bubble.
What he said +1000. If you can't afford it, you don't need it.

I now believe I have reached a significant personal milestone...1,000 net54baseball.com posts! Yee ha!!!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-17-2022, 12:18 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

I've bought cards on my credit card, but never spent so much that I can't pay off the card in full before the next payment is due. I don't think I could ever get to a point where I'm stretching payments over multiple months to buy a card.

Because every thread deserves a card, here's one that would at least make me pause and think about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg lf.jpeg (67.7 KB, 634 views)
Old 10-17-2022, 12:26 PM

Higher end cards transact privately with different payment terms quite often. Some of the best cards are bought and sold among the collectors this way. Not CC, no interest, just payment terms among friends/collectors/dealers.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:29 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Higher end cards transact privately with different payment terms quite often. Some of the best cards are bought and sold among the collectors this way. Not CC, no interest, just payment terms among friends/collectors/dealers.
Absolutely correct!!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:31 PM
Bob Donaldson

Another in the no way camp!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:32 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Man.

After all of our marvelous disputations about cashing out your 401k to buy cardboard, I figured there would be more takers here.

Plus you’ve got all of the new fancy vaults with their lending features that seem so enticing to lever up to buy some exciting pieces!!

Naturally, I’m in the “no bloody way” camp.
I’m at a loss as to why the answer to debt is a resounding no but the answer to draining retirement accounts and taking a huge tax hit to buy cards one can’t afford was a “yes!”. You’d think that kind of “everything all in on cards” mentality would produce a yes to both, or if common sense is applied a no to both.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:33 PM

I have used PayPal credit no interest for 6 months
Many many many many times
Old 10-17-2022, 12:37 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Yeah, sure. If you're one of the beautiful people of the (so called) "hobby" at that lofty level. I came to the conclusion I wasn't in that club when reality set in long, long ago. So go ahead and sell me one of the "best cards". When I can't pay up, Johnny Two Times and his ball peen hammer will pay me a little visit.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 10-17-2022, 12:42 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Okay. Probably not quite the same, but I did have a transaction that I paid in two payments over a couple of weeks. However, my motivation was simply to drive down the individual payment amount to drop below the threshold triggering my wife’s reporting requirements.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 12:45 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Okay. Probably not quite the same, but I did have a transaction that I paid in two payments over a couple of weeks. However, my motivation was simply to drive down the individual payment amount to drop below the threshold triggering my wife’s reporting requirements.
The REAL Johnny Two Times with the Hammer!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 10-17-2022, 12:48 PM

I wish REA Auctions had 6 months no interest
Old 10-17-2022, 12:48 PM
Bob C.

I'm like most others.............never!
Old 10-17-2022, 12:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The truth is that any of us would go into debt to buy a card if the deal is right. I'd happily draw down a $100,000 HELOC to get a T206 Wagner because I could flip it for a large multiple. Now, if you qualify it with provisos like I cannot flip it or it has to be purchased "at market value" (whatever that is; a whole other debate), then the deal doesn't make sense and my answer is "no". I would only go into debt to make money.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-17-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 12:54 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

None!
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-17-2022, 12:54 PM
Bill K@sel

Quote:
Ditto! I'll never finance a card, but I've asked to make payments over a month or two. Sometimes to avoid the eye of sauron; other times, so that I could sell off a few other items to help pay for it.

Bill
Old 10-17-2022, 01:00 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
I’m at a loss as to why the answer to debt is a resounding no but the answer to draining retirement accounts and taking a huge tax hit to buy cards one can’t afford was a “yes!”. You’d think that kind of “everything all in on cards” mentality would produce a yes to both, or if common sense is applied a no to both.
So I think the retirement question was a yes is because technically, you own that money and are not in debt to something.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:07 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have personally made deals that included me making a few payments over a couple months. I have also sold cards the same way. I have only done this with a few people I have known in the hobby for several years.
+1 Agree

I have done it both ways multiple times with people I met in the hobby and/or on this forum

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-17-2022, 01:11 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
So I think the retirement question was a yes is because technically, you own that money and are not in debt to something.
Exactly! If you're working and using money you earned to buy cards, that is using after-tax money as well. Money you put into your 401K just hasn't been taxed yet, so what really is the difference, other than the timing of when you pay the tax on that money that you earned and is yours?
Old 10-17-2022, 01:12 PM
Matt

Quote:
None. I’m not going into debt for a cardboard picture.
My wife refers to my collection mostly as 'pictures of old, dead men on cardboard'.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:14 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The truth is that any of us would go into debt to buy a card if the deal is right. I'd happily draw down a $100,000 HELOC to get a T206 Wagner because I could flip it for a large multiple. Now, if you qualify it with provisos like I cannot flip it or it has to be purchased "at market value" (whatever that is; a whole other debate), then the deal doesn't make sense and my answer is "no". I would only go into debt to make money.
I could be wrong, but reading between the lines of the OP a little bit, I think the context/situation is one in which you've been jonesing for a card for a long time, and have a chance now to pick it up, but don't have the cash to make it happen.

Although not explicit in the OP, I (perhaps simplistically) assumed that we were talking about a market price, or at least something approximating market, maybe with a slight discount because we all love a good deal when we're buying.

Naturally, if you want to change the facts to an improbable/unlikely/fantasy situation, then the answer might change, depending on the precise opportunity that comes along.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 01:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Not taking about some one time purchase from a desperate seller, but a card at fair market value.
The question is explicitly about cards at current, fair market value.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
My wife refers to my collection mostly as 'pictures of old, dead men on cardboard'.
That’s how I describe it too. A little cognizance of the absurdity of the things we happen to like helps to keep things in perspective and not take it so seriously that one drains their retirement, goes into debt, or trades their first born to Satan.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:56 PM
Joe M.

Never.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-17-2022, 01:58 PM

Buying - absolutely never happen - never in the past - never in the future.

Selling - maybe I would accept payments if I've known them for a minimum of my entire life.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:04 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
That’s how I describe it too. A little cognizance of the absurdity of the things we happen to like helps to keep things in perspective and not take it so seriously that one drains their retirement, goes into debt, or trades their first born to Satan.
So I take it you're not a fan of the Little Mermaid selling her soul to the devil to fundamentally change who she is to chase after a boy she's never really met?

But maybe love is more important than cardboard!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 02:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
So I take it you're not a fan of the Little Mermaid selling her soul to the devil to fundamentally change who she is to chase after a boy she's never really met?

But maybe love is more important than cardboard!
As an expert on relationships*, that sounds like a perfectly healthy foundation to me. What could go wrong? If she changes herself to always be what he wants, she’ll never lose him!

* Do not ask for evidence or credentials.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

This one
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TexasTommyJacksonFront-768x768 (2).jpg (39.0 KB, 528 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-17-2022, 02:18 PM
Paul Lehr

I've made payments on items several times over the years but I've never paid any interest, and wouldn't.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Yes, I would ...

for an 1885 Sam Thompson Evansville Cabinet.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:29 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
This one
_
Looks like this one last sold a couple of years ago. Any reason why you didn't pick it up then, even going into hock for it?

Maybe the vault lending options weren't as generous as they are today?

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 02:33 PM
David M.

Quote:
Now I'm going to have to watch Little Mermaid. That's what it's about?
Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM
rgpete

A big zero
Old 10-17-2022, 02:44 PM
Chase

Quote:
Makes ya wonder if the food chain diagram needs to be redrawn, no? Humans are simply amazing.

To the OP, I would never finance a card purchase, liquidate a retirement account or use funds earmarked for another purpose to purchase a card.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:48 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Looks like this one last sold a couple of years ago. Any reason why you didn't pick it up then, even going into hock for it?

Maybe the vault lending options weren't as generous as they are today?
I wasn't back into pre-war collecting when it sold.

-
Old 10-17-2022, 02:54 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I wasn't back into pre-war collecting when it sold.
Gotcha. Maybe it will come back around in the next few years, and we'll see if the price is right, even factoring in potential borrowing...

1963 Post complete panel
Old 10-17-2022, 02:57 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Gotcha. Maybe it will come back around in the next few years, and we'll see if the price is right, even factoring in potential borrowing...
Maybe, my thought is that card will not see the light of day for a long time.

-
Old 10-17-2022, 03:10 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

I’m 70. If I was single I might finance everything and let the CRC companies deal with it when I’m dust (used to work with banks and think very little of them).

But that’s not me. Cash n carry these days.
...whatever I want
Old 10-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Chris

I wouldn’t buy anything that required a payment plan—I collect for fun but have huge responsibilities as a parent/spouse and wouldn’t jeopardize my family for cardboard. I did try to buy a card I couldn’t really afford at the time with the thought that I could sell something really liquid (52 Topps Mantle) after to pay back my savings account after. Ended up losing the auction and doubt that card will ever see the marketplace again in my lifetime. But such is life.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:03 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
This one
_
Wow Phil

I am drooling for that card.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards