NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 12-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Attn TICKET COLLECTORS - GEHRIG!!

For the advance Lou Gehrig collector or Ticket collector, pretty sure you do not have this in your collection since it may be the only one in existence!

1939 New York Yankees Season Pass belonging to teammate of Lou's Bill Knickerbocker and his wife. A Players wive pass to the most historical/memorable season in Yankee history!!!!

If this pass could talk!!! Did Mrs Knickerbocker sit next to Eleanor Gehrig as Lou's career winded down, played his last game, took himself out of the lineup and later gave his historic speech. The pass was probably next to or close to Mrs Gehrig in the players wives section.

Her husband Bill stood next to Lou at 2nd base and played side by side with Lou making 5 putouts to Lou in his 2nd to last game of his illustrious career. He was in dugout with Lou when Lou took himself out of the lineup as Bill also did not play that historic day.

Only the pass is for sale here but the attached pix just show how rare it is as there is only one other pass in existence per the PSA attached pix, but not one belonging to a teammate of Gehrigs, how cool is that???

A press pass (very cool in itself), (shown below) sold back in 2012 for nearly $1200. I have more items for sale from the Knickerbocker estate but this is the big gun! (Picture of plaque given to Gehrig on the day of his speech not included but just shown to show the players who honored Lou that day, including Bill Knickerbocker - the original New York Knickerbocker : ).

Asking $2000 or best offer (How amazing would this look framed with a Gehrig autograph, or displayed next to a Gehrig signed ball!!!!! No Yankees collection would be complete without this ticket!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My1939YankeesPass.JPG (41.2 KB, 1307 views)
File Type: jpg Gehrigs2ndtoLastGame.jpg (67.0 KB, 1308 views)
File Type: jpg PSAPopReport1939PASS.jpg (65.8 KB, 1306 views)
File Type: jpg PSAPopReportAll1939YankeesTickets.jpg (73.0 KB, 1305 views)
File Type: jpg 2012Ebayauction.JPG (74.2 KB, 1309 views)
File Type: jpg Lousplaque.JPG (49.4 KB, 1303 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-19-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Tom

Default Holy Grail really?

I don't know if I would use the expression "holy grail" in regards to this piece. It didn't belong to Gehrig himself, nor can it be tied in with any specific game that relates to Gehrig. And who knows if Mrs. Knickerbocker even went to the games. All we know is that a card was issued to her. The pass didn't belong to one of Gehrig's teammates, it belonged to one of Gehrig's teammates wife. A big difference. A lot of speculation...

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 12-25-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

No I'm sure she sat home on Lou Gehrig day. Idiot.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:43 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Not sure why you get so offended when someone questions your reasoning for using terms like "holy grail" and "only one of its kind" here. Net54 is a place to evaluate and discuss sports collectibles, and the members here are known more for questioning puffery than accepting it wholesale. I think Tom makes some good points. At the risk of being likewise branded an idiot, might I ask why you think your pass should command a 67% premium over the other example you quoted?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
No I'm sure she sat home on Lou Gehrig day. Idiot.
I would like to see this discussion copied to the memorabilia sub-forum, so that we can give you the response you deserve.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Back

Here's the requested shot of the back of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.JPG (64.0 KB, 1118 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-26-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Tom

Default Who is an idiot?

First and foremost, I want to thank all of the forum members who came to my defense here and in private messages. It is greatly appreciated.

All I did was give my honest opinion of this piece. A great piece doesn't have to be "talked up". Many collectors will know what it is regardless of the advertisement and bid the item to it's full potential.

As for the piece itself, if it belonged to Gehrig's wife Eleanor, then I don't think it would of been any question about the pass being in a ballpark of a "holy grail" piece. I can even say that if the pass belonged to Lou's parents.

Bill Knickerbocker played in a whopping SIX games for the Yankees in 1939, hitting an astounding .154. IF Mrs. Knickerbocker attended any games, seems she basically saw her husband riding the bench.

As for Lou Gehrig's Day, July 4, 1939, you offer NO proof that Mrs. Knickerbocker attended this game. You offer an assumption, a perhaps, a maybe at best. You have provided absolutely NO documentation or photos that she was at this game. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't. Is anyone willing to gamble a couple of grand she was?

As for the 6 games her husband played in only ONE was played while Gehrig played. That was the game of April 25, 1939. The other games he played in were July 8, 1939, July 30, 1939, September 17, 1939, September 28, 1939 and September 30, 1939, long AFTER Lou left the team.

As you can see, Bill was not actively playing for the Yankees on July 4, 1939 when the team had Lou Gehrig Day (That doesn't mean he wasn't there, but it doesn't mean his wife was, since her husband wasn't playing that day.)

I do not believe Mrs. Knickerbocker took the time to hang out at the ballpark if her husband was not playing during the regular season games. She was given the pass as a gratis since her husband was on the roster. I am sure every spouse got one. Does your wife go everywhere you go?

As for your comment of being an "idiot", it reminds me of the old saying:

The first man to raise his fists is the first to run out of ideas.

I think the facts of the case and the feedback speaks for itself.. and I'll leave it at that.

Happy Holidays,

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 12-26-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default well......

Tom,

1st let's address my use of the words Holy Grail, this is an opinion, of mine. And can be used on any number of pieces and its all in the eyes of the beholder. You collect 1963 Topps cards, I'm not familiar with those but perhaps a Pete Rose signed one would be consider a Holy Grail item to all the 63 Topps collectors, as this may be to Ticket Collectors, there is only one other, that's pretty rare, and 1939 was a pretty historical season, so not sure what makes your opinion better than mine. If there is such a Holy Grail among the 63 Topps set, it would be to 63Topps guys, not to me...and if you said it was, I sure wouldn't jump into one of your posts and say it wasn't. Again why so offended by use of the word Holy Grail? It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Are you a ticket collector? If so their your opinion would hold more weight, but you just joined a month ago and I'm assuming of course but your a card guy right? Take a look at the pop report on PSA for Yankees season passes for the Ruth/Gehrig years, some years there are none, some 1, some a couple, these are very rare, unlike cards where they are mass produced. So I'm not retracting this is a holy grail type item to me and to some ticket collectors. See your lucky there are probably 4000 Elston Howard cards. So when I see something like this and belonging to a teammate of Gehrig or his wife as you say, it's pretty cool.

2nd you made a comment does your wife go everywhere you go. Times now are very different than 1939 and Knickerbocker was a journeyman ballplayer, he played for the Yankees in 1938, 1939 and 1940, he also played 9 seasons and for Cleveland, St. Louis, Chicago and Philly, and on another pass of his/hers lists her location as a hotel. So I take it they were on the move together a lot, and where else is she gonna go, especially since there is evidence they were pretty much traveling every couple years. I would think that makes it even more likely she might be with other players wives and attending games, being in a town, NY, away from their families. If you were from say Kansas City, and were a member of the Yankees and played next to Gehrig, or lets say Jeter, and your wife lived with you in the town you played, and she had no family there, and had a pass to attend your home games, and again this is 1939, not a lot else to do, I would hope your wife would go. I know mine would.

And yes he was a utility man who played sporadically, but all you did was show was that he was on their roster all season long and rode the bench alot, did his wife know in advance if he was playing or not playing, don't they announce lineups for the most part the day of. So perhaps she went every game in rare hopes of seeing her husband play, you can just as sure assume that as assuming she didn't go as you did playing devil's advocate.

And with a planned Lou Gehrig Day, and all the Yankees in attendance old and current, and her husbands name on the plaque they gave to Lou, you really think she stayed home/at the hotel????

And you say "it didn't belong to Knickerbocker" but rather his wife, another negative comment. Sure it belonged to him, they were married. You just like to nit pick. And re-read the post did I ever say she used it at every game, um no.

And your comment "I do not believe Mrs. Knickerbocker took the time to hang out at the ballpark if her husband was not playing during the regular season games." REALLY? now who is assuming things. So if this was yours and you were selling it, would you add that comment, "I do not believe MrsKnickerbocker took the time to hang out at the ballpark". I hope your not in Sales. Again if I'm playing for the Yankees I want my wife their every game, especially if I'm a bench player, who knows when I'm getting in, so be there every game just in case. I think that is a more likely theory then your knowledge on 1930's ballplayers wives thoughts. Also, look at the use on the pass, looks pretty used to me. If it were pristine, then maybe you'd have a point. But......you don't.

And what better year to be a bench player then the year Lou took himself out of the lineup and sat on the bench the rest of the season himself. Your showing the games Bill did play shows they probably spent a lot of time on the bench together. Lucky Bill.

Anyhow I'm done responding, I know how cool this piece is and to each his own, you may be a card guy, I have no interest there I'm a ticket guy, nothing I said in the original post was incorrect, please re-read it. It's your opinion if you don't think its a holy grail item, mine is it is. And the price said or best offer.

Oh and thanks to the fellow NET54-er who agreed with me that it was not bloody likely she stayed home Lou Gehrig day.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-27-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
A great piece doesn't have to be "talked up".
On this point we do agree, it's a GREAT piece.....thank you!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
On this point we do agree, it's a GREAT piece.....thank you!
Good luck with the sale of your very cool item Paul.

Not only is it tacky to post garbage in someone's sales thread it is also against the rules.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Tom

First of all Paul, thank you for your well written and educated reply. I know that you had to take the time to compose such a letter. I know you may not believe me, but I didn't mean any harm to your sale. I was just merely stating my humble opinion in my initial post. I never asked you to retract the sale or change the listing. If you believe the item is a "holy grail" item, then so be it. A buyer would have to agree with you, and that would be the most important thing. My second post was a direct response to you calling me an "idiot", which I felt was uncalled for. We may not agree here, but I feel you owe me an apology for that. I never took to name calling in my posts.

Finally, I do wish you all of the luck in your sales. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year. I do hope that it is happy, and healthy for all concerned.

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 12-29-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Brad Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Good luck with the sale of your very cool item Paul.

Not only is it tacky to post garbage in someone's sales thread it is also against the rules.
It seems that Bens point just got swept under the carpet and ignored. Tom, it is not only bad manners, but as Ben mentioned it is against board rules to make derogatory comments in the BST section. If Paul had posted a question in the memorabilia forum about the pass's significance have at it, but in the BST it is just disrespectful. And no, semi apologizing by stating that you hope the controversy will increase the liklihood of a sale is nonsense. You decreased interest and value with your comments, and it is not a meaningful apology. Paul does not owe you an apology. In fact it is the other way around. Leon, maybe a reminder of this rule to the board and to Tom is in order.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Not a ticket collector, but as a vintage autograph collector I do know that these season passes are very rare and to a ticket or season pass collector, this could be considered a "holy grail" item.

Best of luck with the sale. A very beautiful pass.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 12-29-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Price reduction

$1500 or best offer.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Bump

$1250 or best offer!

priced to sell now.....who want's it, put it next to your Gehrig signed ball or TYPE 1 photos
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

$1000 shipped......lowest I'll go. Then off to an auction house which will have many more views then here.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 01-19-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Tom

This pass has been and is currently on EBay with a buy it now price of 1,300 (or best offer)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
This pass has been and is currently on EBay with a buy it now price of 1,300 (or best offer)
I NeVer... Ever... Have budded iN oN what was going oN iN a BST sale, offer etc... However, This is a time when I believe a lot of folks are reading this thread and saying to themselves, "Why is 1963Topps Set willing to disregard Forum Rules and Continue to harass a Seller with a Really NiCe item!?"

We all cruise ebay... and hunt many Auctions for what We collect!
We Really don't need your help rudely pointing out what we already know!
A lot of the Good Folks here oN the NET54 do their own due diligence...

I just believe that if You have No Intention iN Purchasing this Pass...
Then You should give'em a pass...

Leon, "Please Forgive me", if I'm Breaking Forum Rules?
It was not at all my intention...
Old 01-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Yah at this point I'm just ignoring his comments, but yes its on Ebay at a higher price.....and lower for members here (most of us who sell do that)......should I reverse that?

I and I think most here prefer to give a better deal to true collectors on here.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:11 PM

Paul comes up with some great stuff -- it's appreciated that he and many others will do better prices for Net54 members.

Greg
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

We all do this...Lower price available for Net54 members...It's one of the perks of being here. I list things here 20-30% lower than I would on eBay...

Paul,
Good luck with the sale. It's a beautiful item and I hope it sells quickly!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Alright alright, now I'm going into unchartered waters and willing to take a hit to the 1st person who says "I'll take it"

$900 shipped.

That is $350 less then the press pass went for and sorry but no way a press pass is more enticing then a players wive pass. So now feel free to flip it on Ebay or at a major auction house (I'd guess it would do pretty well at one of the big boys...and with Lelands taunting Heritage, make 10 times there what you would at Heritage on this per Josh that is!!!).

Or again put it next to your Gehrig signed ball, photo, etc.!! Very cool one of a kind piece of history !!!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-19-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM

Good luck on your sale. It's a beautiful item which I would definitely make an offer on if I still had my 30s and 40s Yanks memoribilia (sold it all to move lol).
Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Ticket/Pass ends on Grey Flannel next Weds night - looks like I put it in the wrong auction house, it's not getting the views or bids.

Anybody want it at an unbelieveably low price have at it.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...entoryid=33919
Old 06-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Last Bump

STILL Dirt Cheap and its the last day of bidding!

ENDS TONIGHT!!!

Should go for in the neighborhood of $1100 like the last one did, not getting why the lack of bidding, ugh!!!!

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.c...-LOT33919.aspx
Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Wow...$389!

Paul, any regrets putting it in the auction?

I thought this would go for significantly more
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Yes

Big regrets!!!! Could have sold on ebay for 800, ouch!!!! oh well booze heals everything! Like MacArthur said I'll be back......or was that Arnold.

Anyhow if the winner is a flipper they will do well on Ebay with it!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 PM

Paul,
As I mentioned in my post today re: whether snipe bidding is killing eBay:
Baseball tickets typically do not do well in catalogue auctions. eBay is where I typically do better selling baseball tickets. This is where ticket collectors seem to lurk....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-26-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think you are correct, I thought putting it in a NY auction would be ok, get it to at least 1000, but live and learn. If u or anyone else here won it hopefully they will take your advice/knowledge, now I'm curious to see what it would do on Ebay at auction.

Oh well you can't bat 1000.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Tom

lol

Last edited by 1963Topps Set; 06-27-2015 at 02:33 PM.