NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Anson

Default Values of T206 portrait vs. other poses

This may have been covered in the past. But, what is the driving factor for portrait poses fetching higher $ than the other poses? If you look at the pop reports (and believe them), in most cases the portraits are no less rare (with the exception of some higher grades). In some cases, they're much more plentiful in low-->mid grades.

Is the common thought that they're more attractive or desirable? I may be one of the outliers, but I tend to prefer the more "action" oriented poses (Cobb bat off, Lajoie throwing, Matty dark cap, Young bare hand, etc...). I was just curious what others thought.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Sean Costello

I agree with you that the action cards look better than the portraits, though I differ with you on the Cy Young card. But some people prefer portraits, and even specialize in collecting them.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I very much like full body action shots on T sized cards. I have always preferred the action poses. However, that said, I find myself picking up portraits when I'm buying T206 HOFers. The majority of my meager HOF T206 collection is portraits. I just think they have a classy look to them.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 PM

I just think many of the T206 portraits are really well done compared to the action shots of the same players. Considering that the T cards are not large, a close-up portrait can allow for more detail.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 AM
Eric
Eric

When the colors of T206 cards are rich and deep they become very beautiful works of art. And the portraits show the largest block of color. Some that really pop for me are:
Both Cobbs
Cy Young
Mordecai Brown
Walter Johnson
Johnny Evers
Obviously McGraw with cap (my favorite pose by far)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Portraits > Action Poses
Old 07-12-2018, 07:32 AM
D P M

I believe with the Wagner being the most known card in the hobby and it being a portrait that drives the prices of what a high end T206 card should look like.

The portraits are the classic T206 look. The action poses are still awesome but nothing compares to the baseball school pictures.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Collectors like uniformity which they can get better with the portraits..

some collectors like uniformity so much they want regular corners in their psa holders versus rounded corners in the label etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 AM

I believe, portraits also tend to show up in the Series 150 issues, so they are often some of the oldest of the T206s; whereas, "in action" poses crop up in series 350 & 460 a lot more. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but worth throwing out there.

And I must agree with Sean, the Young throwing poses are some of the ugliest in the whole set. Indeed, I find his "with glove" pose so ugly it is my favorite T206!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I believe, portraits also tend to show up in the Series 150 issues, so they are often some of the oldest of the T206s; whereas, "in action" poses crop up in series 350 & 460 a lot more. I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but worth throwing out there.

And I must agree with Sean, the Young throwing poses are some of the ugliest in the whole set. Indeed, I find his "with glove" pose so ugly it is my favorite T206!
Young with glove was one of the first T206 I got and I got it at the last Cleveland National in a PSA 4. His head is so big! But I like it. Not sure why. But it really caught my eye.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM
J3ff Thr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Young with glove was one of the first T206 I got and I got it at the last Cleveland National in a PSA 4. His head is so big! But I like it. Not sure why. But it really caught my eye.
Not sure why, but Young with Glove always reminded me of a milkman. Have a running joke with another buddy that we always refer to the card as milkman.

"Did you see the SGC 40 Milkman posted today?" That sort of thing.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM
“the bambino”

I also prefer the action cards vs. portraits. Always have, even with more modern cards. Based on the premiums given portraits a lot of collectors disagree with us for some reason.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Rick Clemens

I started a collection of T206 HOF's almost 4 years ago. I started with the action posses (which I liked better) with a cross section of different rare and semi rare backs. After acquiring all the action posses and doubles I started to look for portraits which in almost every case were substantially more money than the action pose of the same player in the same grade. It also became apparent that nobody I traded with valued the action posses as high as the portraits regardless of the population. The population for the Green Cobb Portrait is about the same as the Bat On pose. No sense in comparing those prices The first portrait I bought was the Red Cobb on ebay 3 years ago in a 2.5 for under 890.00. It has a Polar Bear back and has gone up considerably in value. Looking back from a financial standpoint I wish I collect the portraits first. The good news is I am only a few cards away from the HOF set.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thromdog View Post
Not sure why, but Young with Glove always reminded me of a milkman. Have a running joke with another buddy that we always refer to the card as milkman.

"Did you see the SGC 40 Milkman posted today?" That sort of thing.

I just spit my coffee out. Perfect comparison! I can strike you out and then deliver your warm milk!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I find his "with glove" pose so ugly it is my favorite T206!
I think that an additional reason that we find the With Glove to be so unattractive is the lack of bright colors on the card. The other Young features a yellow background, as does the Lajoie Throwing and Cobb Bat on Shoulder. And the Bat Off is one of the prettiest backgrounds.

By comparison, the Young with Glove appears bland.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Same blue background as Plank...... I just think Eddie so darn handsome he can pull it off. Also same background as Bender pitching, which with trees or no trees is also very ugly card
Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Personally I have always like the portraits better. Neither is better it's just personal preference (values withstanding ). In my first collection there was a Young Portrait, which I am happy to say went to a board member.
I can see why others like the other poses but it has always been portraits for me. I also like the Matty, Johnson and of course Cobbs.... my only one now (and just shown in a thread).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joss1.jpg (77.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Glyn Parson

Default The answer is simple

Supply and demand
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Supply and demand
As a type card collector, though I think this view spans other cards too, demand is more important than supply with respect to value. That has been my observation.

Last edited by Leon; 07-19-2018 at 06:09 PM.