NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2002, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Default Baseball Player? I have to disagree

Posted By: runscott

but let's hear from the experts. The current ebay rage in the vintage photo area seems to be turning firemen, jockeys, dancers, tiddly-winks players...into baseball players !?! (they probably wished they were!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=737865849

Old 11-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Scott
The description actually says: " a young ball player in his new uniform", what it doesn't say is what type of ball he is playing. Judging by his uniform I would guess Handball, Kickball, or my personal favorite dodgeball.
If the seller really wanted to tie the photo to baseball this would be a better description:
The first Centerfold of a Baseball player, right down to his sliding pants. Maybe he's one of Jim Palmer's ancestors? later brian

Old 11-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Hi Scott
The description actually says: " a young ball player in his new uniform", what it doesn't say is what type of ball he is playing. Judging by his uniform I would guess Handball, Kickball, or my personal favorite dodgeball.
If the seller really wanted to tie the photo to baseball this would be a better description:
The first Centerfold of a Baseball player, right down to his sliding pants. Maybe he's one of Jim Palmer's ancestors? later brian

Old 11-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Sorry for the double posting, I don't know what happened. I do know that it's been a "doubley" strange week, 2 buyers sent double payments to me through Paypal this week, too bad I'm not getting double my reserves on autions. later brian

Old 11-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Old 11-21-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Hi Scott
I know, but for my joke I used the description.
On second thought with those super high socks, he could be kin to Chipper Jones. later brian

Old 11-21-2002, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Some kind of odd theme party? Whatever he was involved in I don't want to know about.

Old 11-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I agree, You don't see many old photos with men in shorts and long stockings, but think of the awful clothes that mothers dress their kids in. It reminds me of Ralphie's bunny costume in the Movie A Christmas story, what a nightmare. brian

Old 11-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

Looks like a jockey to me...

Old 11-21-2002, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

jockey. The hat looks way more like a jockey's hat that a baseball cap of the same period. Of course, a ball or bat or catcher's mask would make the identification pretty simple. I've got a bunch of these cabinet photos and I try to stay towards people who have specific uniforms on or with equipment as it's just difficult sometimes to tell the firemen photos from baseball without equipment. They do look amazingly alike. Where's Mark Rucker when you need him..........?

Old 11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Turning turning gymnasts and ballet dancers into baseball players has been common practice for a while. Considering the huge premium for baseball players, this is known as wishful thinking.

To cast out doubt, I look for a baseball or other equipment. If a man is in tuxedo and holding a baseball in his hand, I call it a baseball photograph.

Old 11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Administrator

...if this guy was holding a baseball I would assume he was planning to use it for something other than baseball...possibly as a prop in some sort of "baseball-related" ballet.

Old 11-21-2002, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I should have used the phrase 'baseball or baseball related'