NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Sweet Caporal Pins Red Backs, other questions

Hello all. I mistakenly put this posting in the B/S/T area, so I am reposting it here.

I just purchased a collection (51) of Sweet Caporal pins. They are all in very nice condition, no stains or rust, as shown. There is one large letter Speaker, that has a very interesting red lettered paper back. It seems that PSA does not differentiate the backs when grading them. What do you think of the rarity of these? I can't find much information, just that they are rarer than the normal backs. Also, what do you think of the value of these? I'll probably be looking to sell the lot. The attached are the highest end of the lot. Thanks as always for the help. I love this forum!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Sweet Caporal Pins Red Backs, other questions

The red backs are significantly more difficult than any of the other Sweet Cap backs, but do not command a premium commensurate with their scarcity. Type collectors might pay a small premium, but I'm not aware of anyone attempting to assemble a master set of P2s. I'd have to check my database to be sure, but I think the red backs are found only on the large letter variations.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:14 PM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
"Thanks for the input.

The others are:
Doyle, Warhop, Bell, Doyle LL, Herzog LL, Merkle, Carrigan, Ames, Devlin, Hummel, Bridwell, Murray, Elberfeld, Knight, Quinn, Becker, Engle, McGraw, Tom Jones, Becker, Turner, Engle LL, Engle, Engle, Quinn, Crandall, Rucker LL, Murray, Cicotte, Ford, Ball, Engle, Quinn, Ames, Crandall, Barger, Hooper, Bridwell, Murray, Wiltse, and Wolter.

I was thinking about $1000 for the whole lot."

I would say that's a good retail price. I was bored, so I priced out the others on VCP, assuming a grade of PSA 5. It totaled $1009, subtracting $10 per since they're raw, leaving $599.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Cool looking collection. We don't really see a lot of larger-quantity pin pickups.

One thing to mention, and this is not the case here, but I would be careful about finding a super rare paper backing on a more well known pin. I saw a paper backing one time which didn't fit the mold (no pun intended) at all. I don't think it was original to the pin.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM

Over the past 40 years, I have probably bought and sold over 800 to 1,000 Sweet Caporal P2 pins, and have always thought that there should be a premium put on the toughest color variations. My feeling has not been to put a large premium on them, but somewhere in the 10 to 20% range, except for maybe some of the major HOF stars. I find that the white backs are tougher than the pink/red backs. I would consider the white back with black writing tougher than the white backs with red writing, but that is just my experience.

You might want to search on this site as this topic pops up all of the time, and someone in the past few years came up with a list of the backs that he has seen, maybe Rhett.

Either way, it's always nice to see these lots pop up.

Steve Sabow
Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 PM

By the way, while I have about 400 in stock now, contact me if you want to sell the lot (which you said so in your post).

Steve Sabow
Dynamictwo@aol.com