NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Christian Guidi

Default Please Help

I am trying to identify the origins of a Walter Johnson postcard sized card/photo/print I recently found which has become quite a mystery for me. The card measures 4.625" X 7", is sepia colored, and resembles some of the old exhibit cards I have seen before. It has a slightly chemical odor to it and has very small specs of silver/metal that show up when you position it in the light. The paper stock is fiborous and firm but thin enough so that the light/picture shines through it when you hold it up to the light but seems to have yellowed with age. "Walter Johnson" is written in white signiture style font on the front of the card. Judging from the uniform the original picture was taken between 1912-1915 and it is the same photo used in the 1973 Topps All Time Strikeout card and a 2001 Upper Deck Hall of Fame Commemortative card. I have only a couple examples of this photo on the internet and all but one include the name written in white on the front. None of the sources, however, include the origin. I know this card is part of a series because I have seen a Grover Alexander example as well with the name written in the same font on the front. The Alexander photo was taken in March 1922. The card has a blank back except for the words Abraham and Sons Jackson, Michigan typed (typewriter?) on the back upper left corner. I believe this stands for the S. Abraham and Sons candy/confectionary sugar company. Their website states that the company started in 1927 after WWI ended but I cannot find any information about a series of cards released by that company. The folks from Old Cardboard seem to think it is a recent release in the past 20-30 years but I really think it is older than that. Please help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_Pic0007.jpg (77.5 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_Pic0008.jpg (86.0 KB, 426 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

definitely not period, looks pretty modern... I would go with OC's advice.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Phil Garry

I would agree that it is a modern piece, not sure about the 20-30 year time frame, maybe as far back as the '70's or possibly earlier but I do not believe that it is a period item from the 1910's or 1920's.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Dan Bretta

The font looks similar or the same as the photos that you could order through sport magazine ads in the 1950s...you see these photos all the time and they are relatively cheap. I think your item might be one of those photos with the borders cut off.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The font looks similar or the same as the photos that you could order through sport magazine ads in the 1950s...you see these photos all the time and they are relatively cheap. I think your item might be one of those photos with the borders cut off.
The originals were 8x10, and this was definitely made from one of those.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Christian Guidi

Thanks for the very quick responses. I appreciate the information and it has been very helpful. This site is an amazing resource. I am surprised I haven't noticed more of these for sale on ebay.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Christian Guidi

Please let me know if anyone comes across another example of one of these... or an example of a player other than Grover Alexander or Walter Johnson. I am searching everywhere and cannot find any.

Last edited by cguidi; 02-17-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Frank Wakefield

cguidi, you need to illuminate it with a black light and see if it fluoresces. I suspect it will. I agree with what's above. If it lights up it is certainly 'new', not vintage.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
cguidi, you need to illuminate it with a black light and see if it fluoresces. I suspect it will. I agree with what's above. If it lights up it is certainly 'new', not vintage.
Depends on your definition of vintage...I think it dates to the 1950s, but surely is not from Walter Johnson's playing days.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

going through some old posts as I havent been around for a while.

I have a few of these ca1948+ 2sided premiums (5"X8" exactly) with the same font, but these are not blank backed, they have a player on each side, all are machine cut exactly the same size and show age on edges.

besides the ones pictured below, there are 6 more ... Jackie Robinson/Dick Wakefield, Hartnett/Frisch, Dykes/Feller, TWilliams/Durocher, DDean/Hornsby, WJohnson/HWilson

I have never seen others or dups