NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I wanted to be #500
Old 03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Michael

You plant corn you get corn
Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
I wanted to be #500
No worries, Eric. I'll lay off when it hits 1000.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Default I'll join the fray...

...My personal feelings on the outcome, whether it was right or wrong, is not really important. But I will say that I believe that this thread cannot be good for this seller.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
...My personal feelings on the outcome, whether it was right or wrong, is not really important. But I will say that I believe that this thread cannot be good for this seller.
He survived embezzling 1.6 million dollars. It also appears he shill bids his ebay auctions and eBay does not care. Collectors are also very forgiving... The seller is gonna be more than fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
FredYoung

Having read every post in this thread (as I do w/most every thread on this Board) just a quick 2¢ worth:

(.01¢) Dealer may win w/ EBay, but LOSES w/ me!

(.02¢) Name as part of profile/avatar should be made mandatory for every one who posts on Net54
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default they can

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Tsaiko, I agree. But it got me thinking.

Leon, are our names made public to non-members when they view this forum? I kinda like the idea of our names only being available to members.
Yes, others that are not board members can see the names.

As for Tsaiko, as far as I am aware, you have never done anything to warrant having to have your name on the board. Of course I have it but I won't give it out, generally speaking.

Guys, it doesn't matter to me, really....it's just the rule that we all live by to be part of this community. If you don't want to have to put your name in your sig line or your posts, just don't get into debates, controversial subjects etc,.....and stick to just the cards and memorabilia. I just PM'd 2 board members, participating in this thread whom I have known a long time, to let them know they also need to put their names in their posts.....It is far from a personal issue....
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Just wondering...

Can the original poster still follow through on his promise to leave negative feedback even though ebay ruled against him? (the OP)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Can the original poster still follow through on his promise to leave negative feedback even though ebay ruled against him? (the OP)
He already left feedback and it was a neutral, not a negative as he promised.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

The only thing i would like to add is the accusation of shill bidding. I don't give a crap about the comments made towards the seller on this item (some deserved, lack of communication, etc..) but, i can't begin to tell you the ebay auctions i have lost on high dollar t206 cards for the very same damn thing. Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me?? This is a constant, Bull s*** thing with ebay auctions.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Leon- by the way, i echo other comments about this forum! Keep up the great work!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Leon, I don't think you intentionally singled him out, but there are still some without their FULL name - pup6913 and chaddurbin.

It has been taken care of Mr. James. I was not aware my last name was not present actually. But Just for you sir
Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
The only thing i would like to add is the accusation of shill bidding. I don't give a crap about the comments made towards the seller on this item (some deserved, lack of communication, etc..) but, i can't begin to tell you the ebay auctions i have lost on high dollar t206 cards for the very same damn thing. Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me?? This is a constant, Bull s*** thing with ebay auctions.
Better to lose them than to pay a shilled up price. Ebay must not care because it only increases their take.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Peter- i think i know what you are getting at, but not completely sure. Nothing like looking at an auction for 7-10 days, and then magically losing at the last micro-second. Ebay is horribly tainted.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-01-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Kevin the good news is that if the shill wins, the card will be for sale eventually again.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Tsaiko- you don't have to post your name if you don't want to, as long as the posts stick to noncontroversial topics. But I for one find anonymity to be one of the oddities of the internet, and see no precedent for it in our daily lives.

Imagine any social or business situation where you interact with somebody for the first time but refuse to give out your name. But on the internet that is considered acceptable. I find it odd, and don't understand the notion of not wanting anybody to know who you are. After all, this isn't a site for child molesters to congregate. It's just baseball cards. Who cares if any one of us likes to discuss baseball cards? The need for anonymity goes right over my head, but that's me.

Thanks David. Spelling corrected.
Well Barry, I meet people in person, in social situations, who I immediately don't want them to know my real name. Paranoid, maybe, but some people you just know you don't want to know.

Also, I notice there are some members (that use their real names) who never get involved in controversial subjects and I respect them for it. I know it may be hard for some of those members to resist giving their opinion, because it's hard for me sometimes too, but being anonymous and knowing I'll have to out myself if I'm controversial, acts as a self censor and prevents me from regrettable behavior (if I could only do that in real life - I'm a real loud mouth .

Please try to understand that some people are in a position or their family are in a position of possible harm if too much information is available about them. For example, think of a Federal Prosecutor, who has received death threats, etc. Piecing together complete information on someone, who uses their real name all over the internet, is really pretty easy.

Having said that, I'm all for getting together with anyone local to LA for a beer, coffee or even to play catch. Of course, I'll be wearing a mask -

j/k.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
He survived embezzling 1.6 million dollars. It also appears he shill bids his ebay auctions and eBay does not care. Collectors are also very forgiving... The seller is gonna be more than fine.
This is one hobby where stuff trumps everything else...it's proven again and again. I'd even admit that if this Carterscards guy was selling Lincoln baseball memorabilia I'd still bid on it...If I were still collecting prewar cards I'd probably think twice as the majority of that stuff comes up more than once a lifetime. I doubt this guy will be harmed in any way by the way he handled this situation.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Tsaiko- I respect your position, and you have every right to remain anonymous. I just couldn't imagine doing that myself. Any site I've ever posted on (not that there have been that many) I've put my name out. Again, that's just me. And if you're ever in NY let's have that beer!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Nothing like looking at an auction for 7-10 days, and then magically losing at the last micro-second. Ebay is horribly tainted.
Put in your max bid at the latest time possible. If your bid is higher than all other bids (including shills), you win. There are snipe sites that will allow you to put in your max bid at the last possible second (usually around 3-5 seconds), so that is likely who you are losing to ... a snipe.

as a side note, the part of ebay i think is tainted is 1) you can't see who you are bidding against and 2) you can't leave feedback for buyers.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Mysteriously, i lose them with 2 seconds left in the auction, and the buyer has 70% participation with the seller!! Come on, are you kidding me??
I'm not really sure that means a shill bidder. If you look at my feedback, you will see that I probably show a higher percentage than that with pwccauctions. Does that mean I am shill bidding his auctions. Not hardly. What that means is that HARDLY NOONE - and yes, you know this is true - runs a true 99 cent auction anymore!! He is one of the last ones that can. I stopped running 99 cent auctions, when my stuff started selling grossly under VCP average. If it is something that I really don't care what it brings, then sure, I will do a 99 cent auction. But everything in my collection I had to pay for (and it is usually close to VCP). So basically, what I am saying is, I bid where the true auctions are. Most of Ebay is BIN/BO. That is why I don't think the percentage means a whole lot.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post

Having said that, I'm all for getting together with anyone local to LA for a beer, coffee or even to play catch. Of course, I'll be wearing a mask -

j/k.
I've kept track of this thread pretty closely but this is my first post. Had to chime in because that was the first laugh I have gotten from the thread, and my first laugh of the day.....Thanks Tsaiko, or what ever your name is.......

Now that my name has been added to the list of posters in this historic thread,
Put my tick marks next to:
1. Steer clear of carterscards (and clipper baseball2010)
2. the board rule on adding your full name (or not)
3. carterscards lost some healthy business due to this thread (non businessman's perspective)
4. eBay doesn't care about scruples

Also, I just found myself wondering: how would this whole mess been handled had it occurred on grandslambids?

Tony

edited to add: post #521 - Ted Williams last at bat

Last edited by tonyo; 03-02-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM

@Barry - Totally on for the beer, I do make it into the city every once in a while.

@Tony - One of the doctrines that I have lived my life by, one that came to me only after many decades of life experiences, is, "if I can't make you laugh, we're not going to be friends".
It's been proved as a fact of my life, so I'm happy I was able to give you a chuckle
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM

I seem to have ended up with this card. I don't have cards graded, but will leave it up to you gentlemen. Thank You to Todd for the heads up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 M101-5 Sporting News Stengel [Front].jpg (36.7 KB, 523 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk17 View Post
What if PSA says a card is trimmed and SGC swears the card is not trimmed - what then? What if SGC says a card is trimmed and GAI swears it is not trimmed? What if PRO says a card is trimmed and SGC swears it is not trimmed? What then?
And The Band Played on!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Jake

I REALLY don't feel like reading all this, but with over 500 posts there has to be something decent. Could someone please sum it up.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
I REALLY don't feel like reading all this, but with over 500 posts there has to be something decent. Could someone please sum it up.
well, after reading the first 20pgs so far,
http://www.bash.org/?23396

seems to some it up, except moAr angry