NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default What Does PSA 5 Day Service Mean?

Posted By: Jay

I dropped off some cards for five day grading while at the Reading show. Today I called to get the status of my submissions. I was told that the five days start at the time the order is entered into the system and, by the way, because of delays order entry is about two weeks behind. So it sounds like five day service will really be closer to one month service. Nice job PSA!

Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jay- for what it's worth while PSA tends to fall behind SGC usually sends back my submissions ahead of schedule.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

If you wanted good customer service you probably should have chosen SGC. If you wanted to extract the likely highest resale to PSA registry combatants than grit your teeth and wait it out.

The cards will likely be shipped to you five days from when they get entered into their system. If your box was marked on the outside with a bold "Five Day Order" notation it has a better chance of getting done more quickly. Otherwise you shipped on the same day as hundreds of other capatalizing on the last day of the $5 per card modern special.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

They never said 'Five Consecutive Day Special'.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

Nothing! If they are backed up on logging cards in they will not touch the package until they can send your 5 day turn around in 27 days or less! They may also mislabel (mechanical error they call it though some pierced ear, green haired Calibunga fruit eater will be the one that typed the labels at 12 misspelled words per minute-DON'T MAKE ME POST SCANS!). Then of course, if the cards have an option like NO borders as in the N-22 female jockey set, they may just label each as trimmed and ship them back to you because the person in charge of research is the solo employee over 40 years old and has arthritis thus could not climb the stars to the library where somebody with knowledge and prior experience with their inability to identify and deal with cards in a time table structured on the form you sent in and had prior issues with sent them this~

http://cgi.ebay.com/CATALOG-AMERICAN-TOBACCO-CARDS-PRICES-CHECKLIST_W0QQitemZ180060285198QQihZ008QQcategoryZ 4120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m180060285198

but who says your paying them to confirm what this book already explains and other's like it so given all the other factors that will just validate my point the form (contract) is meaningless just cross your fingers and hope the cards do not come back crimped in holders three grades lower than they were raw when you sent them in as I did and got back and lost $$$$ on some E-94 George Close candy cards they would of course never take responsibility for ruining but then again.....don’t sweat! if this happens lots of guys who sold “high visibility” and ignorant collectors cards in psa 8 holders that were in "ex" grade just prior to resubmitting as they originally were actually near mint/mint when sent in under express service the first time but crimped, came back in 5 holders, sold via discouragement to savvy dealers who "packaged" ( a dealer term for reworking (ambiguous)them properly ( a dealer quote who some of you raved about) a card prior to sending it in)and then returned yet once again to it's possible original grade of "8" in which it now resides as stated, in a high visibility collectors safe or wall display!

BcD

Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

I use SGC for my pre-1900 cards and PSA for a few registry sets that I have.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Don't feel bad Jay I am having the same problem with PSA on a Super Bowl ticket we sent in. They are way behind and I am sure the holidays dosn't make that any better. I would ask for a refund for the express fee.

Trevor

Old 12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

end of January to submit mine to SGC. I figure they will be done with the christmas rush (if there is one in the card grading industry).

Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Do people actually get cards graded as part of their Christmas shopping? I don't think there is a grading Christmas rush. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

There may be a lot of graders taking vacations. But that does not make not following through on a 5 day turnaround excusable. If they can't make good on it, don't offer it.
JimB

Old 12-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

If not, that may have alot to do with the service/quality disparity. Public co.'s have alot more pressure on delivering the bottom line, which often will result in more wage cost pressure and therefore poorer quality personnel...
just a thought...of course, if SGC is a public company, then PSA hasn't a leg to stand on here...

Jason L

Old 12-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

If you dropped your cards off at the Reading show on Friday...then expect your cards five Fridays from now. It's five days. Your day is Friday. Quit yer bitchin.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

PSA 5 day means that they will get back to you within 5 days after you contact them to tell them the package is at least 5 days overdue/late already.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Ditto. As I mentioned in a previous post, I sent in cards about a month ago for the 10-day service. About 2 weeks after submitting, I received confirmation that they received the cards. Nothing since. Nice.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I've never had a problem with PSA and deadlines, though maybe the few submissions I sent out yesterday will be a little tardy.

Do you all follow all of PSA's rules for submitting?

When marking the package, I put 4-6 label stickers on the back and front that in color says the type of submission. When identifying the submission, how detailed are you, like CC special #1, #2, etc. Do you put the type of submission (i.e. EXPRESS) on it?

I also track the items, or in the past have been sending them via overnight mail. Overkill sometimes is necessary.

-Kyle-

Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

My latest shipment to SGC, although sent express, took over a month to get out after they received it. After contacting them, Scott H. sent a nice letter of apology, guaranteed the cards were being shipped out that day and gave me some free submissions. SGC's customer service is light years ahead of PSA.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

My recent/current submission to SGC was 3 days behind schedule. The customer service is awesome and they will continue to earn my business. I do wish they could meet the service I pay for though....best regards

Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Jay,
I'll have to agree with Kyle.
I've never had anything but top quality service from PSA on deliveries for quite a few years now. Vintage pre-war included.
If you follow their packaging, labeling and submission form instructions I have found the they meet and usually exceed (by wide margins) delivery commitments.
Having said that though; delivery does start from the point they log it in their system so my comments should be taken in that context.

I've rarely seen them ever take more than a week to log something that I mail them after they get it. It's usually logged within 48 hours of it's receipt by them. That's been my experience.

I can't vouch for drop offs at shows. That may be a whole different ballgame. I expect that you might be pleasantly surprised despite the naysayers and a conservative PSA customer service estimate of log in delays.

I personally don't like conservative estimates like that. Padding the timeframe makes people angry on the front end more often than reasonably explaining why your behind as you approach a reasonable forecast date. But that's another topic.
RayB

Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys,
I guess I'm lucky, because I've never had a problem with PSA's turnaround time. Most of my packages are shipped Registered mail and take 1-2 days max to arrive in CA, and all have had grades ready within the 5 days. I would pick up the phone and I bet your problem will be resolved.

Good luck Brian

Old 12-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Personally, I spent about a half-hour complying with PSA's silly requirements. When I called them 2 weeks later, they had no record that it was even received (even though it was). The guy told me they were "backed up" because they were at the Chicago show (which was about 10 days after I had sent the cards, from CA).

Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

in their turn-a-round times...

how about only 2 choices?

1. "super-duper fast" $50 a card

2. "when we get to it" $5 a card

when in doubt, keep it!