NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Default The best Detroit collection in existence?

Posted By: Joann

I picked the title of this post carefully, as I am very aware of some advanced Detroit collections - Joe Maple, Joe G, Joe Jones, etc. But what I saw may be the best overall Det collection out there.

I was out of town last week on business. One of my co-worker's mom has a boss there that I have been hearing is an avid Detroit fan and collects Detroit Tiger things. While I was out there we stopped to see his collection. Unfortunately, he only had an hour or so.

He had 3 or 4 3-ring binders - thick ones - that he had gotten out of the safe in the basement. I can't imagine what he didn't get out. He mentioned he has the full T206 minus the Big Four. He's been collecting for years and of course got a lot of his cards for $30 give or take, and what I saw was probably VG-EX average, with many better.

I opened the first page of the first binder, and saw all of the Detroit OJ's and an EX N162 Brouthers, and thought "Whoa. This is going to be serious." I didn't know he collected anything vintage. This is what he had just in that book:

(Note: "All of the" means all of the Detroit players in that set)

Many of the OJ's
All of the T206's
All of the T205's
All of the T207's
All T201's
All T202's - most without the center crease
All T3's that I could remember, including Cobb
A gorgeous Fatima Detroit Team card
A really nice T227 Cobb
Several of the Dietzche postcards
All Ramly's
All E95's including a Cobb that about knocked me over
All E96's
All 1933 Goudey's
All 1934 Goudey's
All of the Diamond Stars
All of the later Goudey's (don't know the years)
All PlayBalls 1939-1941
All Batter Up's
All 1949 Leaf's
All 1952 Topps. In fact, all Detroit players from all sets after 1952 and up to about 1960.
All Glendale meats. All.
All Red Man
Tons of Exhibits starting in 1921 and up, including Cobb

I can't even remember them all. And this was JUST ONE BOOK. There were cards in there I've never seen in person, and cards I've never even seen pictures of.

The next books were all autographed photos and postcards - autos he got himself by sending them in. Many of these were Rowe (?) postcards or photos? I don't remember but he mentioned them several times.

Page after page after page of auto'd cards and PC's. And that's just the few books he got out of the safe. They went back to the 20's and on.

Then we went up to the "Baseball Room". OMG. The floor along one wall of this room, plus every inch of closet space, was stacked with boxes with full team sets of every year up to maybe 1990 or so. These picked up where the sets in the books left off.

There was a cabinet with N28's, blankets, someone's game used shoes, etc. And ... and ... and ... a Ty Cobb bat. He explained the provenance of it and I was convinced - from a grandson of Cobb or something. I have no doubt whatsoever that this was Ty Cobb's bat. Not necessarily game used, but definitely vintage with the thicker handle. He had about 5 bats, but the only one I remember is the Cobb.

Oh, and laying around in this cabinet was a perfect Ty Cobb signed check in a screwdown holder.

There was the double Sporting News (Sporting Life?) Detroit Team in a frame on the wall - the 8x10's. WS tickets from each of the Tigers' WS years. Team photos from WS years with almost all autographed (starting w/the 1935 series).

On the opposite wall were four custom cases of auto'd baseballs, each holding about 60. Mostly Detroiters, but also HOF'ers, Buck O'Neill and a few other Negro Leaguers, a few past commissioners (hee, including Bart Giamatti and a Pete Rose).

And autographs. He has an index card file and a 3x5 auto of every living Tiger. There have been 1400+ Tigers in their history, and he has autos of all but about 200. If they played even an inning, they're in there. He also has a card file for Tiger minor leaguers. If they ever play at all for the major league club he transfers the card into the main drawer.

Sorry for the long description, but I was just beyond blown away. I had no idea his collection went back so far - I thought it was going to be more modern. He was tickled that I was so caught up in the vintage. He said that if he can get any interest at all from anyone, all they want to see the recent things. He said he's never shown the collection to anyone that had the slightest interest, let alone enthusiasm, for the older cards. I think he enjoyed showing it as much as I enjoyed seeing it.

I only wish I'd had more time. Now I think of some of the things I saw and wish I'd spent more time lingering. But it was his wife's birthday and we were already kind of intruding.

He doesn't collect as much now, except to make sure he gets autographs of all Tigers. Oh. And not one card was graded. I'm not sure he would even know what the grading system is or who the companies are.

I often think that all of the "big collectors" are on this board, but learned differently last week. I told him that seeing this collection was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, and it was.

So with much, much respect for the Michigan Joe's and their extremely advanced collections ... this might be the best one out there.

Sorry for the long post. Just had to share this with people that would appreciate it. I'm sure I've left some things out, even with the lengthy post.

Joann

Edited to add: All the CJ's.
Edited to correct OJ line

Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

First off, my name doesn't start with Jo (Joe or Joann) therefore I don't focus on Detroit cards!

That was really odd, Joe, Joe, Joe and Joann!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Sounds like a fabulous experience. Keep in mind that a lot of old time collectors have never heard of Net54, and some don't even like to use computers much. I have many customers who go way back and sometimes in conversation I mention this board and they don't know what I am talking about. There are many great old collections that are under the radar.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Joann,

I think Art Martineau has nearly all of the T206 Tigers WITH ALL POSSIBLE BACKS!

I'll yield the floor to Art if he cares to comment ....

Scot

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Congrats on quite an experience. I believe I know whose collection you are referring to, he lives very close to me, but we've only traded emails a couple years ago. I know of another Detroit collector that has more vintage Tiger photos than anyone for sure, thousands from the 30s & 40s alone. I greatly enjoyed an afternoon with him recently at his place viewing his collection with my wife.

About the OJs, does he really have all of them?, I'm humbled:) There are 21 different Detroit OJ subjects with a total of 71 different poses. One pose in particular of Deacon White is believed to be unique.

Would this individual be open to sharing his collection with others? Perhaps 3 or 4 of us could find a good time over the Holidays to meet up and share our vintage Detroit pieces with each other.

Wow, thanks for sharing Joann.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Barry,

It was a fabulous experience. I've struggled to try to find ways to even think about it let alone describe it. I've never seen any collection this extensive or this advanced. (Come to think of it, I've never seen any collection of vintage at all - just my own.) And to have it be all Detroit - just wow. Everything was Detroit, unless there were more full sets in the safe like the T206. He knew I was a big Tiger fan, so emphasized that.

Did I mention that his living room walls were covered with huge photos of various Tigers, all autographed? Maybe 10 in all. The whole place was a Tiger haven. He said his wife is understanding of his collection, but not so much on the collecting. In other words, she doesn't mind it being displayed throughout the house, but it sounds like she'll step in if the time or money get out of hand.

J

Oh. And one final note. I don't think he has any real idea of the value of this collection. I mentioned a few values of cards based on my recent purchases or inquiries and I think he was genuinely surprised. He said that he tells anyone that is even slightly interested (and I paraphrase - unfortunately I can't remember the exact words because they were really graceful):

If you collect for your heart, your bank account will be fine. But if you collect for your bank account, it will break your heart.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator

AAACCCKKKK. Joe G - you are so much more knowledgeable than I am. Now that I think of it I'm not sure he had some of the other leagues in that set? He had maybe 15-20 or so. It was all I could think of and many I hadn't heard of. I knew that the rest of the collection was "all" for the given types that I'm more familiar with - I should have known better than to jump to the same conclusion on the OJ's.

Also, he lives in the western US, not in Mich. I thought about giving him the link to this board because I thought he might enjoy some "card talk". I think he is a bit isolated on the card collecting end. Unfortunately, that was at the height of the mess with the board having multiple threads going demanding answers from various auction houses and arguing about the responses. To be honest, I was a bit embarassed to give him the link. I thought he'd take one look and never come back. Thought I'd wait until things had settled down a bit.

But I will probably pass it on, and maybe if he lurks and contributes he can "share" it that way. Hard to imagine it could happen in real life given the geographic separation.

Joann

Old 12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you could become his nanny , get really close to his family and get
to inherit them !

Nice story, it is of the best part of the hobby to share and see what others have. Like Barry says; many will not be on board here and arent on computers ,but yo umust admit that if he has these items, he has to know something of the hobby. ANother thing about us Michiganders is ,we do not boast like the New Yorkins do so this maybe the reason why we all havent heard of this guy .te-he

Though I am not centered on Detroit items , I still favor my EX-MT
M101-2 Large Tiger team photo matted & framed, even more then the Cracker Jack CObbs. I someday would like to meet a few of the Mich
peoples,long as yuns aint too kookie.Iam 65mile n. in the resort town of Flint.

-Dan

Old 12-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Joann, I only know a little, and my focus is very narrow. So I only know a little about a little, you're better off. If this guy is out west, then I have no clue who he is. That makes one more impressive Detroit collection out there, always refreshing to know there are that many more cards of interest out there being cared for.

Speaking of complete Detroit T206 sets, have you seen Joe Maples collection. I believe he has a complete run with a good number of them on the SGC "Way I Collect" Registry. Nice cards, but not much interest to me, too new .

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great story Joann....Detroit collectors seem to be the most tenacious of all team collectors. I know of an advanced collector of Detroit items who lurks on this board. Joe G. hooked me up with him on an unidentified photograph a few years ago.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Wow! Very cool story Joann. It is always great to see a collection that is focused and advanced like the Tiger collection you were fortunate to view. Did you get to see any tough Detroit pins?!

Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Did they have the 12 Cabañas cards?

-Ryan

Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

No pins and no Cabanas. I actually looked for the Cabanas. It was mostly US tobacco. Caramels weren't covered as heavily - the E95's, E96's and CJ's, plus a few scattered from the 20's. If there were pins I didn't see them. The cabinet upstairs was filled with odds and ends, so there may have been something like that in there.

I'm already starting to forget some of the details - we went through so many so fast. Wow. But I did get an address on the guy so I can send him a thank you card this weekend. I might throw in the calendar I just got from PSA. It's highlighting what are supposed to be the best items in different categories, and I see things he had on several of the pages.

The T202 Cobb O'Leary in February
The T3 Cobb in May
A Cobb bat in July
The Topps Kaline Rookie in August
And the Cobb signed check in December - drawn from the same bank as his - he pointed out the bank b/c it's local to him now.

I find this just about hilarious. Believe me, nothing from my collection would ever get near a PSA calendar shoot, and he has something in 5 of the 12 months.

Joann