NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default In light of recent events.....shipping procudures...

Posted By: Dave

With the soap opera that has just wrapped up concering one of my recent ebay purchases here are my thoughts to be "safe" as a seller...interested in anyone else's thoughts...

items under $100- I'll send with option of buyer paying for insurance....but no matter what I'll send a delivery confirmation.

items $100-$250 I'll only send with insurance and delivery confirmation to be required of the buyer to purchase

items over $250- Insurance required, signature confirmation required...

Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I insist on insurance whenever I sell anything. Considering we are talking about antique baseball cards mandatory insurance is not unreasonable.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

just have a set charge for the item that includes delivery confirmation and insurance. items under $100.00 $4.50 would cover it and go from there. then you'll be problem free.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

There are so many different ways to go with shipping. I think that at a minimum, as a seller, you should at least do some type of tracking (delivery confirmation, registered, etc) on anything over $50. The cost for something like that is about $5 if you send it 3 day. That's about 10% of the value of the item sold. This is more protection for the seller. Having proof of attempted delivery to a certain zip code goes a long way towards relieving suspicion. The postal receipt (from the post office) typically has the zip code to where the package was sent.

If you're afraid that people wont bid on an item because of a perceived overage in shipping charges then put a $3 amount for the shipping charge and eat the $2. Seriously, a couple of dollars towards maintaining a good reputation as a seller is peanuts in the spectrum of it all.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

What I do is this -- $3.50 flat shipping fee, which covers the first auction you win from me and each subsequent auction you win before I send the first. If the value of the item goes over $50.00, I will purchase insurance out of my own pocket. If something gets lost, it's all on me.

I, of course, include this info in my listings. I believe that I get higher and more bids because of it and thus offset my cost that way.

Why put the onus on the buyer to do anything? Make him happy!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I usually make insurance optional for smaller items, but put it in the shipping charges so it's automatic for anything over $100 - $125 or so. It depends on what I think the card will sell for.

But after reading the other thread about how PayPal tilts toward the buyer, I'm thinking about making it mandatory for anyone that uses PayPal. That's just so I don't end up being responsible for the mail performance. And maybe a little to try to create some fairness in a system that allows honest sellers to be penalized for events that (in my opinion, and I don't really know) are beyond the scope of the protection that PayPal is trying to provide for the buyers.

I'll probably change something after this though - either include it in shipping or whatever.

Joann