NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Next year's Standard Catalog cover

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 11-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

due to baseball's recent obsession with the long-ball, I suggest a 'home run king' theme for the next catalogue.

N172 Delahanty-'33 Goudey Ruth-'86 Topps Traded Bonds

Ruth and Bonds are the biggest names from today and from years gone by. Also, their cards have some great eye appeal, sure to catch the eye of even the most casual of collectors.

As for Pre-war sluggers, Delehanty may have been the best of them (although he tallied only 100 HR for his career, that was a big number back then)

Ben

Old 11-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie (T206NNOF)

Just want to ad one...How about players that a lot of fans think should be in the Hall Of Fame that are not such as Joe Jackson, Roger Maris, and Pete Rose.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

An Ed Reulbach card would look great on the cover! I've got about ten different ones to choose from.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Since it's a baseball "card" price card how about the 6 best cards in the hobby, excluding any cards that have been on covers already?.........as taken by some kind of poll.....2 from the 19th century ( I know where you might be able to get a scan for a Peck and Snyder ) 2 from the 20th century, and 2 from the 21st century......just a thought.....and BTW, Julie- You did not in any way offend me and I thought your responses (all of them) were ok.....different thoughts are what makes the world go around....and to my good friend Andy.....give her a break, man....give peace a chance regards all...

Old 11-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's a baseball card price "guide" not card...duh....and the more I think about it the more I like my idea although there are many other good ones too..... good luck Bob....regards

Old 11-15-2002, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

I'd go with Charlie and Scott's idea...

Don't know about Maris...

Old 11-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There was a reason why I responded to Julie's post as I did. It was not because I disagreed with her idea. It was because of the way the post was written. We have to remember that when dealing with electronic media (e-mail or message boards), it is very easy to misinterpret what someone meant to say.

There were many ideas posted, some which I may have liked, others I may not have liked. Whether I liked or disliked the ideas really has no relevance. I didn't necessarily like or dislike Julie's idea. What bothered me was that when I read her post, it sounded to me like she was saying that her idea was good, and that all other ideas were boring, and basically sucked. Leon obviously did not interpret it the same way. I took offense to her post since I felt that Bob was just looking for ideas, not judgements. Everyone else contributed their ideas without knocking the others.

I'm sure that I am as guilty as anyone else for writting a post that could be offensive to someone. I guess my point is that we ALL (myself included) should think about how our message may be interpreted before posting.

Old 11-15-2002, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RBCraik

How about Titman (Old Mill), Dick Wood and Pete LaCock? Hey, sex sells!

Old 11-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Administrator

but might be effective anyway because of it's simplicity...AND that she didn't like the others Personally, I think Leon's idea SUCKS, but I was stunned to find out that Julie didn't like my "all carbo" outfield, or a "Stooges" theme (although no normal woman understands why men like the Stooges).

Damned, just realized I could have used Bernie Carbo to go alongside Wheat and Rice (Jim, with Sam as back-up) in my "all-carbo" outfield. Doh!!

BTW, we need the ability to modify fonts in this forum - "Stooges" should always have a larger, more special font. Cy would agree with me, I'm sure.

Old 11-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Walker, Jr.

Idea 1:
With it being the 13th Anuall, how about players with 13 letters in their last name?

DeMontreville, Eugene
Hollingsworth, Al
Knickerbocker, Bill (Wm.)
Dressendorfer, Kirk
Hollandsworth, Todd
Raffensberger, Ken
Schreckengost, Ossie
Spooneybarger, Tim
VanLandingham, Bill (William)

Idea 2:
How about a holiday theme? Could be others.

Christmas, Maurice
Christmas, Steve (Stephen R.)
Easter, Dick
Easter, Luke (Luscious Luke)
Valentine, Anthony
Valentine, Bill
Valentine, Bobby
Valentine, Corky (Harold)
Valentine, Ellis
Valentine, Fred
Valentine, Joe

Idea 3:
How about occupations? (Showing last name only for this one)

Archer
Baker
Barber
Brewer
Butcher
Butler
Camper
Carpenter
Farmer
Fisher
Gardner
Hacker
Judge
Marshall
Miner
Singer
Speaker
Usher
Washer

Old 11-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...was humorous in nature, and most of the above posts are humorous in the themes they suggest, too. As well as one of my own, above.

What I would actually enjoy is a cover which is dedicated to the "First Five".

Almost everyone on this baord enojys some aspect of collecting one (or more) of the First Five players. I am no exception to that.

There are new cards and old cards alike that could decorate the cover nicely...we'd not run short of nice cards to choose from, no doubt there.

Just an idea...

Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

How about body parts

Rollie Fingers
Elroy Face
Jack Glasscock (just kidding)

Old 11-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Thanks much for all the thoughts, suggestions, lists, etc. I guess to be more specific about the book's cover, it should be noted that the cover subjects have to be chosen with an eye towards mass appeal (not a bad movie, either). That is, most of you and most of SCD's hard-core readers would buy the book regardless of what's on the cover, but our challenge is to get the casual collector or baseball fans, or Grandma to pick up the book at Barnes & Noble or from a pix on Amazon. That means there should be a top-name current star, a Fifties-Sixties boomer-gen icon and one of the all-time greats from the pre-war era. The bearded/mustachioed guys idea has merit except, as someone pointed out, facial hair was virtually absent from baseball between 1910-1970s; still might be worth a stretch. One theme which was offered by e-mail is catchers in full regalia. That would allow use of a modern Piazza card, some Hall of Fame catcher from Old Judge and lots of fascinating cards in between. The error card idea almost made the cut a couple of years back, but didn't (then) offer a really hot current star such as we now have with the 1987D Opening Day Bonds. It's time may have come. Keep the ideas coming and thanks, again.

Old 11-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie(T206nnof)

The most expensive cards sold at auction
(1) Honus Wagner 1909
(2) Mickey Mantle 1952
(3) Barry Bonds 1986 Topps Traded Tiffany
Maybe with a caption on the cover saying: "Do you have any of these cards" Pictures showing all 3 on the cover and maybe a story inside about the cards and the players...The story behind the Wagner card etc. Should get people interested that never even cared about baseball....just to see if they have any cards around in attics, basements etc. Middle aged sons calling up their parents to find out where their cards are...who knows ...may create a frenzy...and sell a lot of books.
Just a thought...sounds good to me anyway.
Hope you find a good one Bob
Take care.

Old 11-15-2002, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Stop looking for me to be saying nasty things about you!

Lemke's idea about the catchers is probably the best yet. I'm a little fuzzy on early catchers--Ah yes, Ewing--how could I forget! REALLY a great idea, and that one Diamond Star of Cochrine (sp)in his catcher's regalia--famous card. And Pudge Rodrigez. And T^ip Top made a handsome one of Yogi in '47--you wouldn't recognize him! (or you could get a more common Yogi). And don't forget Campenella--the '51 Bowman, I think. HEY, LEMKE SOLVED HIS OWN PROBLEM! Might even get Chief Meyers in there too, even if he isn't quite HOF.

Alas, you're right about no hair betwewen 1910-196something (Dick Allen had a mustache or beard, my housemate says--but NO ONE ELSE!). Fin-
gers rookie is even mustachelesss, I think.

And my, and someone else's idea about "great home run hitters" ("Great sluggers" since there weren't hardl;y any home runs hit before 1919), is also good.

See, Bob L. says the card really has to grab grandma (or someone who a price guide wouldn't ordinarily grab). Great catchers are usually great players--eh voila!

Old 11-15-2002, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

How about this esoteric, yet universal theme -- cards that should/could have been, but never were?

A few examples: 1915 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth, T206 Joe Jackson, 1933 Goudey Satchel Paige, 1962 Topps Maury Wills, 1984 Donruss Roger Clemens.

Of course, such a theme might face the risk of a few of the artistic creations ending up in you-know-whose auctions.

Old 11-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Old 11-15-2002, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Bob Lemke could pick the ones he wants on the book, and we could "create" them . I volunteer!

Old 11-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

outstanding.

Old 11-16-2002, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Casey Cox?

Joe Bush?

Pie Traynor?

Old 11-16-2002, 05:59 PM
Administrator

This is a price guide! You can't have phoney cards on the cover of a price guide. You'll confuse the masses. Er, novice collectors.
Catchers, catchers catchers! Piazza, Rodrigez, Campanella, Berra, Cochraine (still can't spell it), Meyers, Ewing. For the cover: isn't there an Old Judge of Ewing in his 19th century crouch? Next to Pudge or Piazza in his 20th century squat. I'm really stuck on this one. And the Diamond Star Cochraine and '51 Bowman Campanella aren't crouching, even though they're wearing catchers gear! So you don't have to get bored seeing a lot of squatting catchers...

Old 11-16-2002, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Scott:

You missed the obvious: Bernie Carbo!

Old 11-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Administrator

<< This is a price guide! You can't have phoney cards on the cover of a price guide. You'll confuse the masses. Er, novice collectors. >>

How so? Think of it in terms of marketing, Julie. I guarantee you that several "What If?" cards would grab peoples' attention (and hold it) far more than any other type of baseball picture with a cardboard backing. Just look at the 2003 edition -- I had no idea the McGwire/Dog and Giambi/Dog cards even existed! Also, think about it from a visual perspective. Far too often on past issues, there has been too much aesthetic dissonance between cards from different time periods. New, artistic latitude will eliminate this problem and create a more harmonious coexistence between cover subjects.

Old 11-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal

How about players with a controversial history ala Joe Jackson, Pete Rose, and another one from the '30's through the 50's that someone can think of. Maybe Willy Mays, although I guess he was reinstated.

Old 11-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Administrator

than Sid Finch.

Old 11-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

O.K. you don't have to twist my arm. I agree that a cover with catchers would have great eye appeal, and would reflect the evolution of the game! I certainly have based my type collection on this concept. Here are some of my recommendations that follow Mr Lemke's outline:

19th century selections:
N175 Large Gypsy Queen (California Brown, C. N.Y.); N167 Old Judge (Catcher, Ewing)

Early Tobacco: B18 Blanket (George Gibson) Purple Pennants; T206 Nodgrass, Catching (Printing Error); T3 Turkey Red (Red Kleinow);E125 American Caramel Die Cut(Bill Carrigan);E-145 Cracker Jack (Chief Meyers)

Pre WWII Gum: 1933 Goudey (Benny Benough);1934-36 Diamond Stars (Jimmy Foxx)

1950: 1955 Bowman (Roy Campanella)

1968 Topps (Johnny Bench)

1973 Topps (Carlton Fisk)

1992 Bowman (Mike Piazza)

This would be my fantasy cover of cathcers!

Old 11-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Administrator

First, I have to point out the catchers-in-gear theme is not my idea; it came from long-time hobby friend Bud Obermeyer. My guess is on the cover we'd need a N172/173 of California Brown (since I don't believe Ewing is seen in gear), a really new Piazza and a Bench (any suggestions?) as much as I despise the man. I love Bud's suggestion of a 1933(?) or 1934(?) Goudey Paul Richards for the spine, or perhaps a Cochrane. On the back we'll need a I-Rod or Javy Lopez, the '51B Campy, and isn't there a Wide Pen or similar Thirties issue of a really tight close-up of a player in mask? Also need a minor leaguer or regional of any era. Further suggestions welcome!

Old 11-17-2002, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Bob
I'm not a big Bench fan either, but the 76 Topps card would work quite well . later brian

Old 11-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

74 Fisk! dont use Bench,the fisk pose is great in 74,full catcher gear play at the plate

Old 11-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B. Hodes

I recall there being some nice ones of Bresnahan in gear (T207 or maybe one of those Game sets from the teens Barker, Polo Grounds etc.) I think Bench's '69 card is preety good too. Also Bill Dickey's 39 PB is a good Catcher shot...
(How come there is all of this animus directed at Bench anyway?)

Old 11-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

...and the n72 California Brown is a definite! (wish I still had mine). I also like the '34-35 Diamond Star Jimmie Foxx.

I still feel it's sacrilege to put a modern card alongside all those beauties - another reason to split up the book!

Here is my "catcher gear" web-page:

Old 11-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

and another OJ catcher:

i can make better scans available if necessary

Old 11-17-2002, 02:04 PM
Administrator

How does this grab you7--for one thing, everybody ought to know Ewing was a catcher, gear or no gear--how can you leave him out? How does this grab anyone for the spine: a T202 with Meyers on one end and Matty on the other, climbing it? (there're only about 8 in the T202 set). Sneak a Matty in on a catcher card--everyone likes to look at Matty. Also there's a T202 of a catcher in action--Ira Thomas, signaling to pitcher to throw to Jim Delahanty ("Jim Delahanty at Bat").

Glad you like the '51 Campy--.

Old 11-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Administrator

who is it? What set?

The I-Rod rookie from the '91 Upper Deck set is nice. I don't own a single Piazza!

Someone suggested a Cracker Jack meyers--the T202 you can't see his uniform (even though you can see his batterymate). Does the CJ Meyers show catcher's gear?

Why didn't Ewing ever pose in his catcher's gear? Drat him!

What about the N73? Isn't Ewing in catcher's gear in that one?

Old 11-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Bob Lemke asked awhile back about 1930s cards showing a closeup of a catcher in gear. The Diamond Star Foxx is nice, but an even more closeup shot of him is the R311 Leather. This card basically shows Foxx's head with a mask on and nothing else. It's the ultimate catcher close up. Also, I believe the Wide Pen premium of Lombardi shows him in full gear.

Old 11-17-2002, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Fritz 'Wife Swapper' Peterson

Jay

Old 11-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Administrator

It might look too much like a photo for a book cover though

Old 11-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

I like the cards w/ highest auctioned price idea. The casual person will notice the Wagner card, and love or hate Bonds, he deserves to be on the cover. Put the sale price in bold by each card – big dollar amounts get everyone’s attention.

Another idea would be to get away from the standard cards. I think a cover with a 1915 PM1 Ornate-frame Cobb or Mathewson pin, 1952 Tip Top Bread Label Mantle, and any modern die-cut Bonds card would be different enough to get second looks from anyone walking by.

There are lots of other player options for additional pictures. With all the modern die-cut cards, you could find one of just about any player you want to use. Other sets with unusual shapes include: L1 leathers (Cobb/Mathewson), 1888 Scrapps, B18 Blankets, BF2 Felts, Al Demaree Die-cuts (Ruth/Gehrig), 1926 Kut Outs (Ruth/Gehrig), Middy Bread, and Big League Stars/Dairy Queen Statues.

Old 11-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Old 11-19-2002, 11:25 AM
Administrator

is the one I was thinking of. If we go with the catchers-in-gear theme, that's a definite for one of the 3-5 on the back cover. I also like the idea of a cover featuring non-rectangular cards; perhaps another year. In reviewing the Fisk-Bench cards, the only Topps card with Bench in gear is 1976. There are a lot of good choices for Fisk, right through the early 1980s. Who can recommend a really good Piazza-in-gear; the newer the better?

Old 11-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Has the following 2003 Mike Piazza cards with him in Catchers gear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1584942178

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1584340087

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1583831935

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1584889515

They're all pretty ugly! But that's what you get with modern cards anymore...

Old 11-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I think that's why I never got one.

Of course it's Foxx and not Cochraine that has the famous Diamond Star in catcher's gear...

How about Ewing? Does the N173 haqve him in gear?

Old 11-21-2002, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

If next year's book is going to include a Fisk, I'd recommend the 1977 Topps. It's always been one of my favorites. He's in full gear, tagging out a runner.

Paul